Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nick1310

Norway currency

12 posts in this topic

Many places will accept Euros but maybe not at a very good exchange rate. Also if you use Euros you have a double exchange rate loss - pounds to euros then euros to krone.

Best to use a credit or debit card or draw a small amount of krone from an ATM.

Brian

nick1310 likes this

Credit and debit cards can be easily used so I would suggest doing that. We did not bother with this currency in May when sailing the Baltic but would consider take a bit of cash if I was visiting several ports as was the case when we did the Fjords.

nick1310 and Oldworldtraveller like this

Everyone I've spoken to has taken Kroner to Norway. They've also all come back with the same comment as littlemousa that everything is so expensive so be prepared for paying a high price for things.

nick1310 likes this

I've just come back from Norway- I noticed most attractions accepted Euros but I didn't notice the local shops/food areas.

I would take Kroner as the ship buy it back at a better rate than you would get from a UK travel agent.

Most shops in Norway are Tax Free and for larger value items you can claim VAT also.

nick1310 likes this

We took Kroner and euros on our recent trip. The large towns and shops will that euros but some of the smaller places we visited wanted Kroner. Just take a mixture.

nick1310 likes this

We got Noweigen Kroner off the ship but didn't spend it and ended up loosing out when we cashed it back in.

If you fancy a steak dinner while in Norway be prepared for a £50 per person check. We looked at the menus outside a few restaurants in Tromso and a decent steak averaged out at about £52 ! I hope they were nice.

G.G.

nick1310 likes this

Have the wine with your meal and almost double the bill!!! Even though the pound is struggling the exchange rate is still better than a few years ago when I last visited I believe currently over 10Kr to the £

nick1310 likes this

I always think you are best to have some local currency for smaller shops, restaurants ect but as mentioned above some attractions will accept euros and theres always atms around if you want to get cash out.