Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

viscount

New York on your own

22 posts in this topic

We are booked on Arcadia in September for the round trip Southampton/North America/Southampton and are pondering over which visits, if any, to book for New York. This is our first ever trip Stateside so know nothing. Is it possible to "do" New York on your own, or should we bite the bullet and book  general trips which will cover the major "must see" places? Early replies would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

We did this cruise in 2014 and it was so wonderful that we have booked it again for 2017.

In New York on the first day, we took the Statue of Liberty / Ellis island trip which is a "must do" excursion. Well organised by P&O with plenty of time to see everything.

The second day we wandered around New York on our own - very easy to do. Do try to visit Central Station- you will be amazed!! So much to see and everyone is so friendly.

Hope you enjoy your visit as much as we did.

I would agree with 7 seas this is a lovely cruise and one we've done several times, the Statue of Liberty/Ellis island trip is a must do but it is also quite doable DIY which would also give you the opportunity to do something else too the same day.

Having been to NY several times we have probably seen most of the 'must see' places but my advice would be to decide which places you really want to see eg: Empire State building, Central Park, 9/11 memorial and of course Central station ( yes you will be amazed ) and concentrate on those, you will then have a good excuse to go back and see what you missed the first time round.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful time I know you will smile.png

There is somehing special about New York I feel. Just one thought - if instead of the Empire State building you chose the Top of the Rock [Rockefeller Centre] -then not only will you save a dollar or two but you'll get a great view of NY plus of course the Empire State building. You'll also see the skating rink at the foot of the Rockefeller Centre which has featured in many films. 

JH327 likes this

Two more suggestions - the Roosevelt Island Tramcar - well worth the money for the view over the East River -and a walk across the Booklyn Bridge-if you are based in Manhattan for a day or two. Take the train across to Brooklyn [a few dollars] and a leisurely stroll back. Certainly I would recommend Central Park as a must see...

When we went to New York we did everything on our own at our own pace. Fantastic city, easy and cheap to get around. If you know the sights you want to see you can work out a plan. How long have you got in New York? If that is your first port of call in the USA you could spend a lot of time getting through immigration. We were there for 3 days and managed to see all that we wanted to but came back very tired!

Thanks to you all  for the info. Sadly, we are only there for about 30 hours in total so the difficulty is going to be what to choose. There are so many things we would like to do. We have booked the Harlem and Cotton Club visit on the first evening, and the Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty trip the next morning. How to see Central Park, 9/11 Memorial, E.S. Building etc, etc, etc......!!!? We are unlikely ever to get back there as the only way my wife can do the trip is by sea.

I've been to New York several times and each time I've done my own thing. It's very easy to get around especially on the underground. I felt very safe travelling around this way and people were very friendly and helpful. Staten Island ferry is a fab way of seeing the city sky scrapers.

The open-top bus is a good way to see all the sights - and much cheaper than a P&O arranged one.  We are doing this trip in 2017 and really looking forward to it.  Shame that the first evening will be taken up with immigration but we can understand why.

The Sandeman's free 2 hour tour of New York is excellent and gives you a good overview with lots of tips for places to visit. They also do a Midtown tour ( small charge) well worth doing. You just pre book online and turn up.

We pre-booked Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island visit which was trouble free. Very well organised. Just needed to pick up tickets- instructions are given on booking.

So many places to visit without paying for organised tours. Metro inexpensive with multi person ticket you can just reload.

Lovely cruise. Use the hop on and hop off bus to familiarise yourself with NY. We did Ellis island, Central Park, top of the rock, ground zero, and battery park where the fireman have a memorial to 9.11. Quite exhausting. We couldn't do all the sites so we will do another cruise to NY at some point.

I would definitley recommend the hop on, hop off bus. Great way to get from A to B but also take in the sights. The Empire State Building is very iconic, but i think the views are better from The Top Of The Rock. Hope you have a fantastic time! smile.png

JH327 likes this

We have been to New York several times because our older son lived there for five years.  I would agree that the HOHO bus is a good way to see a lot in a short time.  I would give Central Park a miss, apart from a drive by.  It is huge and really not a lot to see.  It is a lovely place for a stroll, but apart from saying you have been there it isn't exciting if time is short.

Sheila

Having been to New York many times, I think the best way to see the city is on two feet. You miss so many of the best sights if you're running between the tourist attractions trying to get there in time for pre-booked slots. The things you see as you walk around the city are what makes it such a unique place. It'll still be warm in September, so hire a boat on the lake in Central Park - look out for the turtles and make sure you look up to appreciate the view around the city. There's a great restaurant called Isabella's just outside the park and the Museum of Natural History (the one with the dinosaurs!) is up this way too. 

The view from the Top of the Rock is a million times better than the more visited Empire State building. Walk through Greenwich Village and along the High Line, visit Chelsea Market for some AMAZING food. Brooklyn isn't the scary gang-ridden place people think it is and you're really missing out if you don't head across the bridge to explore. Also, I second the hop-on/hop-off recommendations and Brianl's Staten Island ferry comment - it amazes me that people enjoy that view on their daily commute! Lucky so and so's! 

Enjoy 

willow_12 likes this

There's a bar/restaurant in Central Park called the Tavern. I took my mum in December and we sat outside there as is was surprisingly warm drinking prosecco by the Christmas tree. It was beautiful. Its a really nice place and the food looked amazing! x

Given how much there is to see and do in NY I would suggest if you have a couple of days there as your first thing to do PRIOR to visiting the city is to contact New York Greeter Organisation. This is a free yes free voluntary organisation although they would more than be grateful if you contributed to their site but not mandatory. They ask a few questions I.e. when you will be visiting, what is high on your to do list, what section of NY are you interested in seeing.

We used this service about 4 years ago on a 5 day visit and our guide took to us parts of New York I didn't even know still existed showing us the cobbled streets and buildings of old NY, we were taken to Manhattan, Battery Park, UNYC, the park etc etc, travelling on public transport. We were expecting a morning walk about instead our guide gave us her whole day. Wow we were exhausted but would never have seen half of the stuff we did. Apart from that on your own the usual stuff Central Park, Grand Central Macy's (not forgetting visitors get 10% discount on top of sale stuff as well as regular priced items). Ellis Island, Staten Ferry. We also booked a Broadway Show.

We are visiting NY in Sept unfortunately only for one day so have pre booked our visit to the One World Observation Tower which can be done easily on line.

Last piece of advice pace yourselves as it can be hot dependent on time of year. Enjoy.

This landed in my inbox today.

http://emails.pocruises.com/q/11mfavRrh1N8lX1vbZQ8Oxw/wv

Click on the link then the first photograph entitled View from the Bridge click on Captain Calling, scroll down and Arcadia's Captain is giving his suggestions of what is achievable to see and do in New York in a two day visit.

I notice all meals are taken off ship - I wonder why?

*Dancing Queen* likes this

Benefit of booking P&O excursions.....  you'll clear immigration earlier than those travelling independently. Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Centre) also took us to Ground Zero when we did this shore excursion on Arcadia; worth double checking to see if that's still the case. We used proper licensed yellow cabs for our independent trip into 5th Avenue, St Patricks Cathedral. Check price first. Enjoy.