Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

maxbranning87

What are people's thoughts on the Norwergian Fjords at the end of April 2017, I have seen a very good deal on Celebrity Eclipse 29 Apr 2017?

7 posts in this topic

I am not a well known cruiser, and I have yet too experience one, however being on this Cruise Club forum and now receiving regular offers from different cruise companies, I would like some advise what the Norwegian Fjords would be like at the end of April.

The offer my wife and I have seen is aboard the Celebrity Eclipse 29 Apr 2017 for 7 Nights. The offer is a Concierge Balcony with a Free Drinks package, not sure which one, or what this actually entails. And also $200 On board spending money.

I have heard that Celebrity cruises are a good cruise liner and more at the top end of the market, as we are slighlty older, feel this would be better suited. I am just a little dubious about the weather at this time of year, not having been to this area before.

Hi Maxbranning87,

Celebrity are a very good company to travel with and I believe that drinks package is worth £50 per person, per day so that is a good deal!

I've also read that Eclipse has won best ship to sail from Southampton for a few years now!! - I actually saw her docked at Southampton on my way to Azura and wished I was going on her.

To be honest, I don't think there is a right time to go to the Fjords, whether its raining or blissful sunshine you will still be amazed by the views- I think in late April it wont be horrendous but remember layers are always the key!! - I went in July and no day was the same, but we still thoroughly enjoyed it :)

I would take the plunge and try a cruise!! - On one of the best cruise lines, and the prettiest ports... what do you have to loose?wink.png wink.pngwink.png  

post-4856-0-60238300-1470834408_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We were in Norway at the end of Feb beginning of March. At the top of the country it was -18 but even along the fjord at Stavanger the wind was bitterly cold. We were so glad we invested in proper cold weather gear as it earned its money big time !

You would hope that the temperature would have picked up a bit but I would be prepared for it to be pretty cold.

The scenery is stunning and seeing the waterfalls frozen in time was amazing. Go on give it a go.

GiGi

dancefloordemon likes this

I was on a cruise last year to the Fjords in the summer and it was a beautiful cruise.

Lovely places, a very relaxing cruise, our weather in (July) was very warm and sunny. Although in April I would expect the weather to be similar to here, a little unsettled.

Definately worth a visit, and from April onwards some great deals can be booked as some cruise passengers stick with the Med or want a longer cruise,  many to the Fjords are 7/8 nights.

We did this cruise in May a few years ago and as others have said it was a little cool but with the proper clothing we still spent a. Fair amount of time on deck, especially for the sail-in to Geiranger and Flam in the very early mornings.

Norway is our favourite place and Eclipse our favourite ship, so I would certainly recommend this.

We have travelled in the Aqua class which has all the concierge benefits plus a few more, including a separate restaurant (Blu) with lighter meals and a quieter atmosphere. That might be worth considering if you can get it without paying too much more.

I'm sure the Norwegian Fjords will be spectacular whatever time of year you visit, and the weather can certainly be changeable all year round. We've been a few times with dates varying from late May to late August, with a wide range of hot, cold, wet and dry days. Their summer months are June and July only, and we've had temperatures as high as 27C in May, and low as 10C in August.

As an example, here's a site where you can see all the temperatures in Stavanger (for example) for April 2016 http://www.accuweather.com/en/no/stavanger/260665/april-weather/260665 - daily highs ranging from 6-15C.

The layers advice is key, go prepared for any weather, but most of all, go prepared to enjoy every minute :)

Hi, I would probably agree all the comments above, the weather in Norway is certainly changable all year round so be prepared for a little bit of everything. The views will certainly make up for any rubbish weather and like others have said take the plunge and go for it - I'm sure you won't be left disappointed. I've also only ever heard positive comments about Celebrity Eclipse so I don't think you've got too much to worry about.

Have you and your wife got your eye on anything that you would like to do in any of the ports if you do decide to book this cruise?