Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

morris42

Cruising on the QE

13 posts in this topic

Hi - I'm Sue - due to go off to Madeira and the Canaries on the QE for the first time.  Could anyone tell me how we can avoid paying gratuities automatically, as I prefer to tip the staff that we have dealt with.  Also it's the first time we have been with Cunard, so any tips for the voyage would be appreciated.

Hi - I'm Sue - due to go off to Madeira and the Canaries on the QE for the first time.  Could anyone tell me how we can avoid paying gratuities automatically, as I prefer to tip the staff that we have dealt with.  Also it's the first time we have been with Cunard, so any tips for the voyage would be appreciated.

Not wishing to turn this into yet 'another' tipping thread as I appreciate we all have our own views of how we do it but to be honest if you intend paying the tips then it makes no difference to the stewards if you leave the auto gratuities in place as anything given to them by other means goes into 'the pool' anyway.

Personally I never liked 'the envelopes' so much prefer the system they have in place now but each to their own as they say.

A must do would definitely be afternoon tea in the Queens Room but it does get rather busy so go early or be prepared to queue, any specific questions ask away and if I can help I will.

Oldworldtraveller and HALaP&O like this

The problem now if sailing with an American based cruise line because of the drop in value of the dollar it makes the gratuities very expensive varying between $11-50 and $and 15%-18% added to you drinks adds up to a substantial amount.

HALaP&O likes this

Not wishing to turn this into yet 'another' tipping thread as I appreciate we all have our own views of how we do it but to be honest if you intend paying the tips then it makes no difference to the stewards if you leave the auto gratuities in place as anything given to them by other means goes into 'the pool' anyway.

Personally I never liked 'the envelopes' so much prefer the system they have in place now but each to their own as they say.

A must do would definitely be afternoon tea in the Queens Room but it does get rather busy so go early or be prepared to queue, any specific questions ask away and if I can help I will.

Regretfully I have to disagree with this view point, as both on Aurora in April, and again on QE in June this year, I was assured at the front desk, that if the 'Hotel charges' Gratuities etc, (call them whatever name you will?),  were already pre-paid, and left in place, that any amounts that I cared to give to any individual member of the crew, outside of the charge, was a matter entirely between 'myself and the crew member concerned only' if I told them to that effect when giving it. Trust me, I always do!

Personally speaking, I would have thought it would or should have be, the cruise-lines 'duty of care' to inform the crew members concerned on the last day as to who was keeping the charges in place and those who were not (as HAL do!), because the hotel charge cannot be removed by passengers until the penultimate day of the cruise) so they all know exactly whether they have to hand it in or not.

So you bet, I always make a point to tell my own 'special ones', not to boost my own ego at all, but just to ensure that those super smiley, happy, courteous young men and women, 'getting that little bit of extra bunce' for themselves on a very welcome individual basis, that the 'extra' 'thanks' is meant for their own efforts and their pockets alone, and is a matter between myself and them, and nobody else! 

Vive la difference! 

Maybe the cruise industry should return to a more assured income for the crew, paid within the cruise fare itself at the outset, and let then let the passengers decide for themselves, whether they want to tip or not. When all is said and done, some will, and then again some will always find a reason not to, no matter how much they enjoyed their cruise experience.

Regretfully I have to disagree with this view point, as both on Aurora in April, and again on QE in June this year, I was assured at the front desk, that if the 'Hotel charges' Gratuities etc, (call them whatever name you will?),  were already pre-paid, and left in place, that any amounts that I cared to give to any individual member of the crew, outside of the charge, was a matter entirely between 'myself and the crew member concerned only' if I told them to that effect when giving it. Trust me, I always do!

Personally speaking, I would have thought it would or should have be, the cruise-lines 'duty of care' to inform the crew members concerned on the last day as to who was keeping the charges in place and those who were not (as HAL do!), because the hotel charge cannot be removed by passengers until the penultimate day of the cruise) so they all know exactly whether they have to hand it in or not.

So you bet, I always make a point to tell my own 'special ones', not to boost my own ego at all, but just to ensure that those super smiley, happy, courteous young men and women, 'getting that little bit of extra bunce' for themselves on a very welcome individual basis, that the 'extra' 'thanks' is meant for their own efforts and their pockets alone, and is a matter between myself and them, and nobody else! 

Vive la difference! 

Maybe the cruise industry should return to a more assured income for the crew, paid within the cruise fare itself at the outset, and let then let the passengers decide for themselves, whether they want to tip or not. When all is said and done, some will, and then again some will always find a reason not to, no matter how much they enjoyed their cruise experience.

I think you have misunderstood my reply to the OP, she asked a question about removing the auto gratuities and I pointed out imo there was no benefit in removing them as if they were given directly to the stewards they have to go into the 'pool'

I made no mention of what happens to anything 'over and above' as that was not the question.

As I said I have no wish to become involved in a 'tipping debate' or the rights/wrongs as individuals see it, I merely replied to the question which was asked.

HALaP&O and Tally like this

I think you have misunderstood my reply to the OP, she asked a question about removing the auto gratuities and I pointed out imo there was no benefit in removing them as if they were given directly to the stewards they have to go into the 'pool'

I made no mention of what happens to anything 'over and above' as that was not the question.

As I said I have no wish to become involved in a 'tipping debate' or the rights/wrongs as individuals see it, I merely replied to the question which was asked.

Quite frankly I think you made your point quite clear. We've always left the auto-tips on and given extra to those we want to. I too don't want to get involved in another debate about gratuities. As I have said before as far as I'm concerned there is never any justification for removing the auto-tips.

*Dancing Queen* likes this

Quite frankly I think you made your point quite clear. We've always left the auto-tips on and given extra to those we want to. I too don't want to get involved in another debate about gratuities. As I have said before as far as I'm concerned there is never any justification for removing the auto-tips.

I was totally justified in removing my auto grats on my last P&O cruise, whether people agree or not I will simply not reward rude, surly behaviour.

If people pay up 'come what may' it's no wonder the crew are becoming complacent.

Each to their own I suppose.

HLM.

sinbad10 and Oldworldtraveller like this

Yes you are quite correct, I completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick on that one. My sincere apologies for the unfortunate misunderstanding!

There is always justification for removing auto gratuities if somebody has received service that does not justify gratuities. Just because you perhaps have been lucky and always received good service does not mean everybody else is in the same boat!!!!!(sorry) and they have the right and perhaps good reason to remove them.

HLM and Oldworldtraveller like this

I was totally justified in removing my auto grats on my last P&O cruise, whether people agree or not I will simply not reward rude, surly behaviour.

If people pay up 'come what may' it's no wonder the crew are becoming complacent.

Each to their own I suppose.

HLM.

I’m aware that you felt justified removing the auto-tips because of an appalling cabin steward. Perhaps I should have said for the vast majority there is no justification for removing the auto-tips. I’ll admit that I have noticed an attitude change by some members of staff in the last couple of years. Whether or not this is due to the auto-tipping method I really couldn’t say. My preference is still to leave the auto-tips on and make a complaint about  any member of staff I have an issue with.

There is always justification for removing auto gratuities if somebody has received service that does not justify gratuities. Just because you perhaps have been lucky and always received good service does not mean everybody else is in the same boat!!!!!(sorry) and they have the right and perhaps good reason to remove them.

No I haven't always been lucky. In spite of poor service from some I still left the auto-tips on and complained about those staff from whom I did not get good service. As I've said to HLM that's been my preference.

I’m aware that you felt justified removing the auto-tips because of an appalling cabin steward. Perhaps I should have said for the vast majority there is no justification for removing the auto-tips. I’ll admit that I have noticed an attitude change by some members of staff in the last couple of years. Whether or not this is due to the auto-tipping method I really couldn’t say. My preference is still to leave the auto-tips on and make a complaint about  any member of staff I have an issue with.

No I haven't always been lucky. In spite of poor service from some I still left the auto-tips on and complained about those staff from whom I did not get good service. As I've said to HLM that's been my preference.

That's a fair comment Tally, as I say it's each to their own if it's your preference to auto pay who are we to disagree.

HLM.