Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Chrislee

Self service restaurants

21 posts in this topic

Do all the p.o.ships have self service restaurants ,and which have you found to be the best ,my wife and I like getting our own food ,we usually go on the Thomson ships ,but we fancy a p.o. Cruise

Yes, all P & O ships have a buffet restaurant.

No doubt others will liken it to a supermarket cafe, and describe it as a 'scrum' and a 'free-for-all'.

Generally speaking it is a scrum on most cruise lines, however this tends to be more for breakfast and lunch, in my experiences evening meals in the buffet restaurants tend to be more relaxed and less busy.

HLM.

The mid size ships of P&O are easier toget round in the buffets than the larger ones. We hav no problems on Aurora which seemed better laid out than Oriana (pre next refit). Azura was a bun fight.

Ventura was fine although the choice was a little limited compared to,other cruise lines we have used. The Indian themed night was a high point though and very popular with excellent food.

We never used buffet self service restaurants much prefer waiter service and not having the worry of wandering around looking for spare seats. Also if I wanted to eat in buffet self service restaurants I would book a holiday in my local factory staff canteen biggrin.png .

Oldworldtraveller likes this

For once Sinbad10 it appears I have a differing view to you. Whilst I agree some cruise lines buffets leave a lot to be desired, and like you would avoid like the plague, I won't mention who but at the other end of the scale the buffets on Royal Caribbean's Quantum Class ships really are excellent. I have yet to find a directors dining room this good let alone the staff canteen. I have sampled both Anthem OTS and Ovation OTS and never failed to be impressed. They are huge and are thus able to have sections with foods depicting various countries, with a large variety of fish, meats, salads, fruit, sweets etc.The food has always been well cooked and presented, with no difficulty finding a table. Waiters are always on hand to get you juices, coffee, etc. which are included in the fare so not as if they are after commission. There is even a large open covered area at the stern where you can sit, relax and look at the ocean whilst eating. I would also recommend the buffet on Azamara which too has a large open area at the stern with large umbrellas shading each table. There are buffets and then there are buffets. wink.png wink.png

Another vote for Royal Caribbean buffets, the one on splendour of the seas was brilliant. We usually do the main dining in the evening and buffet at Lunch but went to the buffet for the evening meal a couple of times on Splendour as the food was so good, especially (as mentioned above) the daily specials of local cuisine which was a particular high point.

For once Sinbad10 it appears I have a differing view to you. Whilst I agree some cruise lines buffets leave a lot to be desired, and like you would avoid like the plague, I won't mention who but at the other end of the scale the buffets on Royal Caribbean's Quantum Class ships really are excellent. I have yet to find a directors dining room this good let alone the staff canteen. I have sampled both Anthem OTS and Ovation OTS and never failed to be impressed. They are huge and are thus able to have sections with foods depicting various countries, with a large variety of fish, meats, salads, fruit, sweets etc.The food has always been well cooked and presented, with no difficulty finding a table. Waiters are always on hand to get you juices, coffee, etc. which are included in the fare so not as if they are after commission. There is even a large open covered area at the stern where you can sit, relax and look at the ocean whilst eating. I would also recommend the buffet on Azamara which too has a large open area at the stern with large umbrellas shading each table. There are buffets and then there are buffets. wink.png wink.png

Like everything I comment on this forum it is IMO and can only speak for the cruiselines I have cruised with. I am sure there are some buffet self serve restaurants that are of a very high standard but I still feel that a major part of cruising for me is the feeling of going out for dinner to a restaurant and to be waiter served.

When you say scrum and free for all and hard to find seats, tells me it is usually busy ,which also means they are popular, yes it is nice to waited on ,but a change is also nice so self service is ideal and I assume the food is as good as in the restaurants, and not only that you can get the amount of food you like .

hturtle likes this

When you say scrum and free for all and hard to find seats, tells me it is usually busy ,which also means they are popular, yes it is nice to waited on ,but a change is also nice so self service is ideal and I assume the food is as good as in the restaurants, and not only that you can get the amount of food you like .

Think you will find the saying "scrum and free for all and hard to find seats" applies more to breakfast and lunch rather than dinner. A regular argument on forums is about whether you find seats, reserve them by leaving something on the seats, or go get your meal then wander around looking for a seat while your meal is going cold. 

HLM likes this

What is the answer then sinbad 10 dine in the main restaurants for all meals, even if you are outside the self service ,maybe sunbathing

Only trying to find the best and easiest way of eating,like I said in my first post we like self service but if it's difficult to get a seat I'd give it a miss

Silverfix - we have often been on both Oriana and Aurora and have not had problems in th self service. I cannot say the same for Azura. Some people just do not like self service preferring others to serve them.

What is the answer then sinbad 10 dine in the main restaurants for all meals, even if you are outside the self service ,maybe sunbathing

I would not, through personal choice, eat any meal from the self service buffet and take it and eat it on my sunbed and you should not reserve your sunbed while you go and take lunch in the self service restaurant. Depending on which ship you choose there are 4 or 5 options for lunch which are down to personal taste we usually eat our meals in the restaurant 

Only trying to find the best and easiest way of eating,like I said in my first post we like self service but if it's difficult to get a seat I'd give it a miss

Hi

I have been on 4 P&O cruises now and not eaten in the main restaurant on any of them.  Yes its busy at breakfast time but you normally get a table quite quickly and there are plenty of serving points so not usually queuing for food.

We find lunch and dinner are very relaxed and never and issue about finding a table, and food is good and varied.  The busiest night in there is the Formal night

believe it or not and people trying to avoid it.

Afternoon tea gets busy as the gannets not wanting to miss out on the free food must be hungry again after the pile of food they ate at lunch an hour or two ago, hard work sunbathing and drinking.

Try it silverfox, they are great

There is mo prblem trying out different restaurants or, mixing them up as you put it, just let your waiter know the day before so they do not set your places.

If you're on freedom dining you just go to either your allocated dining room or the buffet for dinner without having to tell a waiter as you don't have an allocated table. In the buffet the evening meals are themed (Indian, Chinese, Italian, Best of British etc) with a different theme every night. On Oriana the buffet restaurant (the Conservatory) is only half the size at night as the other half is curtained off & becomes the Beach House which carries a cover charge. We go for breakfast in there about 7.30am & it's very quiet unless in port but we never had trouble finding a table to ourselves ( I'm not very sociable early morning). Lunch time is very busy but if you just want a sandwich you can just wander in, pick one up (they're wrapped) & take it away.

As with any cruise line picking what time to eat in the buffet is the key to getting a seat? P&O are no different ,if your first in for breakfast then no problems ,plenty of tables .trying at 8-30 its going to be full.

Not really a buffet fan but RCI and Celebrity have much better laid out buffet's than P&O or Cunard ,it does of course debend on which ship you sail on the newer the ship the better the buffet is laid out...Davybe