Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

suesi

xmas gifts

41 posts in this topic

Hi, I am on Azura for Christmas and new year this December and have been told that it is usual to give your steward a present on Christmas day.   I am at a loss as to what I could give him/her.  Can anyone help with ideas please?  huh.png Suesi

what about toiletries? or maybe chocolate/sweets?

The two things they probably get sick to death of the sight of and you want to give them some more.......biggrin.png wink.png

Why do you have to give anything been on many holidays over Christmas and never given the staff in hotels presents so why should cruising be any different.

Why do you have to give anything been on many holidays over Christmas and never given the staff in hotels presents so why should cruising be any different.

You don't have to give anything it is just something we think is a nice thing to do, at the end of the day it is Christmas for everyone and we are very privileged to have someone waiting on us so a small gift or a bit of cash seems a very small thing to do for those not as fortunate as us.

Don_Harrison likes this

You don't have to give anything it is just something we think is a nice thing to do, at the end of the day it is Christmas for everyone and we are very privileged to have someone waiting on us so a small gift or a bit of cash seems a very small thing to do for those not as fortunate as us.

That is a very patronising statement to make and is very arrogant. The staff on P&O cruises i.e. cabin stewards and waiters, compared to the people in the countries where they come from and live and the national average wages means they are very well reimbursed for their work and makes them very well off compared to those in their country on their return. Nobody forces them to do the job and it is in their own financial interest why they do it to provide a good standard of living for themselves and their families.

HLM likes this

Oh I'm not going to get into how well off the stewards are compared to the other people in their country of origin.

I'm quite aware no-one forces them to do the job but in my book I consider myself very fortunate that the cards dealt to me does not mean I have to spend 9 months of the year away from my family and that I'm also fortunate to be on a cruise ship as a passenger and not a worker so if that makes me patronising then yes I guess I am although how wanting to give someone a gift makes me arrogant I'm not quite sure.huh.png

I think the difference is that on ships the staff are often thousands of miles away from their families and relatives at what is commonly termed 'A family time of year' whereas those who work inn hotels are in all probability a few minutes from their families and will spend some part of the day with them in the same way as i did prior to retirement. 

That is a very patronising statement to make and is very arrogant. The staff on P&O cruises i.e. cabin stewards and waiters, compared to the people in the countries where they come from and live and the national average wages means they are very well reimbursed for their work and makes them very well off compared to those in their country on their return. Nobody forces them to do the job and it is in their own financial interest why they do it to provide a good standard of living for themselves and their families.

Totally agree Sinbad, they are in my experience very well "reimbursed for their work" on a recent cruise I bumped into our cabin steward whilst shopping in Malaga, she had two 'Guess' hand bags, she quite happily told us they'd cost over 200 euros each.

"Those not as fortunate as us" certainly wasn't something I was thinking of at the time.

HLM.

Are we missing something? Christmas is a christian celebration and we seem to believe that all are of the same religion. For some xmas will be normal working days and not designated for celebration.

Well said..some forget about diversity.

I used to work as a duty manager and we had a large multicultural staff. They would demand Eid off (its our Christmas) but when suggested that they work Boxing day each year there was uproar (we have the right to spend Christmas with our families just as much as you do) 

Captain Kidd II, sinbad10 and HLM like this

I would give a bar of Cadbury chocolate and a Christmas card with some cash in it. We have had a few Christmas cruises and this is what we did and it always seemed tp be appreciated.

I think the difference is that on ships the staff are often thousands of miles away from their families and relatives at what is commonly termed 'A family time of year' whereas those who work inn hotels are in all probability a few minutes from their families and will spend some part of the day with them in the same way as i did prior to retirement. 

So are members of our armed forces who are thousands of miles away from their families at "a family time" and for months at a time on a "like for like" basis when they return home after months away they will be nowhere near as well off as those returning to Philippines and India will be. Serving meals/cleaning staterooms for 9 months or risk being shot at or blown up and for a lot less money get real people and live in the real world. President of Philippines currently in the news for comments made to President Obama is cleaning up his country by hiring people to kill drug dealers and users.and they get paid £327 per killing which according to BBC website is a fortune in low income Philippines. The amount that staff on cruise ships all over the world get paid makes them very well off in their respective countries and that is why they do it we have to put things into perspective.

HLM and seawitch like this

So are members of our armed forces who are thousands of miles away from their families at "a family time" and for months at a time on a "like for like" basis when they return home after months away they will be nowhere near as well off as those returning to Philippines and India will be. Serving meals/cleaning staterooms for 9 months or risk being shot at or blown up and for a lot less money get real people and live in the real world. President of Philippines currently in the news for comments made to President Obama is cleaning up his country by hiring people to kill drug dealers and users.and they get paid £327 per killing which according to BBC website is a fortune in low income Philippines. The amount that staff on cruise ships all over the world get paid makes them very well off in their respective countries and that is why they do it we have to put things into perspective.

In fairness sinbad10 you referred to people in the same type of service industry, comparing hotels to people on cruise ships. Lets keep the discussion on an even keel. 

*Dancing Queen* likes this

Hi, I am on Azura for Christmas and new year this December and have been told that it is usual to give your steward a present on Christmas day.   I am at a loss as to what I could give him/her.  Can anyone help with ideas please?  huh.png Suesi

I hope some of our suggestions helped, if your luggage allowance allows do try to take a few Xmas decorations for your cabin, the ship will be decorated but it's also nice to decorate your own space. 

All the stewards I know love the pound shop in Southampton, the buy all they need for the time until they get back to

Southampton, so if such a thing is possible, I would get a gift token.

In fairness sinbad10 you referred to people in the same type of service industry, comparing hotels to people on cruise ships. Lets keep the discussion on an even keel. 

No lets get things into perspective and stop being brainwashed into thinking that the waiters/cabin stewards are hard done by when in reality they are very well paid. People will be brainwashed into giving them birthday cards and presents next. It suits the cruiselines to convince cruisers into paying "service reward scheme" and extra tips on top because it saves them from paying them decent wages and therefore increases their profits and that is all they are interested in. According to Wikipedia National Annual Minimum Wage for UK $23472, Philippines $1271, India $818 figures for 2015/2016 think that puts things into perspective.

HLM, Wardlincs and Captain Kidd II like this

Hello

On all the cruises I taken over the Christmas period, this is the first time I have heard this question. It is not, in my experience, the norm to give your cabin steward a christmas gift. In any event what do you buy a complete stranger, are they male or female and what religion are they, would a gift offend? My suggestion is this, say to your cabin steward on Christmas Eve, "as it is Christmas Day tomorrow, please don't do my cabin, I am quite happy to make my own bed etc and the sooner you finish your work, the sooner you will get to do what you want to do". This has always been received well by all the cabin stewards I have had.

Captain Kidd II likes this

Are you saying, Wardlincs, that you usually leave your bed to be made by the poor steward? I thought they just topped up the tean, coffee and biscuits then put ckean towels in the bathroom. No wonder I am late down in the morning having cleaned up first.

Wardlincs likes this