Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

dst87

What the hell, MSC?

12 posts in this topic

I just had a call telling me that MSC have decided that the stateroom we booked for our forthcoming cruise (15002) is no longer available, and asking me to select an alternative (15027 or 16028).

What the hell? I didn't book a GTY. I booked a specific cabin, and I booked it for specific features that others don't have (extra width, and a more spacious feel). MSC have decided that this stateroom will be allocated to the overlapping Hamburg - Hamburg cruise, rather than the Southampton - Southampton cruise that we're book on.

I really want an answer from MSC as to why on earth they didn't decide this before I booked, and why they haven't automatically offered some sort of compensation or 'good will gesture' (I hate that term). Totally unacceptable, and something I've yet to experience with any other cruise line.

I shall await an update from the TA, but safe to say that I'm pretty seething right now

I've heard and read about this happening before with MSC Cruises. I've admired some of the things they've done in recent times including their ship designs but this is something that clearly needs looking into. I read certain reviews where people had confirmed a specific cabin like yourself Duncan, only to be told it was being changed closer to the time of the cruise as per their booking conditions. 

It seems ridiculous in this modern age that a cruise line can do such a thing but I do know it's happened many times before based on what I've read. I'm sorry to hear of your problems and I hope it get's resolved soon.

dst87 likes this

I've heard and read about this happening before with MSC Cruises. I've admired some of the things they've done in recent times including their ship designs but this is something that clearly needs looking into. I read certain reviews where people had confirmed a specific cabin like yourself Duncan, only to be told it was being changed closer to the time of the cruise as per their booking conditions. 

It seems ridiculous in this modern age that a cruise line can do such a thing but I do know it's happened many times before based on what I've read. I'm sorry to hear of your problems and I hope it get's resolved soon.

It definitely does seem like part of the booking conditions, which I wasn't aware of (and which Bolsover didn't make me aware of either, which is surprising given it stands out as being different from any other cruise line).

Anyway I'm not too bothered, and I'll have a great cruise no matter what, but I think this is something MSC could change to avoid customer being disappointed before they even set foot on the ship!

I agree, it most certainly should be something MSC should look at changing, especially as many passengers will be booking cabins for specific reasons and to change this without prior notice will cause a lot of stress for many people travelling with them.

I may be wrong but I think Costa operates a similar policy to that of MSC. A colleague of mine travelled with Costa a few years ago on a cruise which they got an excellent deal on. When they arrived however they were informed that their cabin had been changed despite holding tickets showing their booked cabin. They were only moved a few doors down so it wasn't overly frustrating to them but nevertheless it's not what you want at the start of your holiday.

It always pays to read the T's and C's before putting pen to paper.

I'm sure you've been made aware of that though.

Totally agree that it's worth reading the T&C, though in this case with a cruise booking the cost to me is negligible (other than a mild disappointed).  Insurance etc. is more necessary as you are relying on them to get you out of potential bankruptcy if you don't arrange everything properly.

Frankly, though, even if I had read the T&C I still would have been disappointed.  It's presumably a very rare thing to happen (otherwise why let customers book specific staterooms at all) so the item in the booking conditions would have been seen by me (and many) as being a catch-all and not worth worrying about.  It certainly wouldn't have stopped me booking.

The question, then, is how often customers who have booked a specific stateroom get moved in line with this condition.  I'd say if I was exceptionally unlucky, then the condition if fare.  If what happen to me is common on MSC, then the conditions are misleading and the entire process should be revisited.

Other than space, is there anything else "special" about your original cabin e.g. is it a 3/4 berth, or wheelchair accessible?

I can understand your frustration, I'd be a bit disappointed if we were moved from a specific chosen cabin - like the "inside balcony" cabins I choose on some ships, that really are insides but very close to a promenade deck door :) or those lovely mini-suites with extra-width balconies.

But it they need the cabin to accommodate special requirements (rather than preference), then I can understand it from their perspective too.

This happened to my colleague, apparently if you book on the lower fares (bella/fantastica experience) even if you pick a specific cabin it is not guaranteed you will get it. Someone paying a higher fare can take it off you, she was told her chosen cabin was just a preference and basically anyone could take it off her. I think its a ludicrous way to run a cruise line.

This happened to my colleague, apparently if you book on the lower fares (bella/fantastica experience) even if you pick a specific cabin it is not guaranteed you will get it. Someone paying a higher fare can take it off you, she was told her chosen cabin was just a preference and basically anyone could take it off her. I think its a ludicrous way to run a cruise line.

Well, we're booked in the Yacht Club, so there's not really a higher fare category!  It seems the terms apply to everyone.

MSC have offered an additional £50 OBC per person (taking our stateroom total to £600) as a good will gesture.  Better than nothing, and given it's in their terms there's not much I could have expected.

Counting down the days now - I'm so excited! :)

wow, can't believe they can do that in the Yacht Club! At least you got a bit extra and glad its not dampened your spirits. I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!