Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

c'tain poldark

Tipping

28 posts in this topic

Just returned from a cruise with P and O.  Decided to cancel our auto gratuity charge and  tip waiters and cabin steward directly instead.  Could not find out if your waiters and cabin steward get the full amount of the auto gratuity charge.  Obviously the official line is that they do but chatting to different people you hear various stories.  Also will  they be taxed on this amount?  And what happens to your waiters share if you are on Freedom dining or go to the buffet at night?  Would be interested if anyone knows the answer to this.

I always wondered about the tax situation for staff as they are spending so many weeks away from their own country of origin how can they be taxed at source as I am sure normal rules wouldnt apply??

I always smile when I read about queries regarding the tax situation for staff. Whatever has that got to do with anyone but they and their employer? As for tipping the best thing is to do as you wish - after all, what you do is nobody else's business but your own.

HALaP&O, sinbad10, HLM and 1 other like this

As I said on your other thread.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this, P&O say one thing crew say another other people make it up as they go along, the best thing to do is decide for yourself the best option, forget about it and enjoy your holiday.

HLM.

sinbad10 likes this

It was just a thought Mayway out of curiosity, However may age old view still stands irrespective of the answer. If you have received a great service then just add extra to the standard tipping amount, if you have received an awful service then vote with your feet and remove them. Safe to say I have never had to do the latter!!!

HALaP&O likes this

I always think its a bit of a nerve expecting clients to pay gratuities up front regardless of the level of service they receive. I go straight to the reception desk to have gratuities removed from my account as I prefer to tip according to the service I get. As it happens I have always had very good service and deal with tips and feedback direct to the staff who have looked after me during my holiday.

Bashemath

I would tend to agree with you, as it does seem  to be an imposition, to assume that all is going to be okay at the start of a cruise, rather than wait until the end?

Some cruise lines however add these charges on a daily basis, rather than ALL at the outset.

I feel its a subtle, yet intuitive, indication of their mind-set, and a motivating reminder to the crew overall, to stay focussed on maintaining good customer standards and relations throughout the cruise. Rather than have crew liven up on the last few days, just before disembarkation.

With one particularly well documented instance aside. I've always been happy do the right thing at the end of a cruise, rather than say ,at the

start of it!

I would suggest that nobody is completely right (myself included!) but as long as we are all honestly objective and essentially kind hearted, rather than deliberately mean, we can all continue to enjoy our own particular brands of cruising, long into the future.

Paying gratuities should be a personal choice and in The UK it is illegal to automatically charge them on a bill. I always ask for the daily charge to be taken off and I tip accordingly to those I think deserve it. One thing I hate is the cruise lines that add a certain percentage on ones bar bill as this is a gratuity and, as I said before, should be a personal choice. One cruise line charges 18 and half % on your bar bill, when in Spanish waters an extra 10% is added, if Barcelona get there way they will add a room tax on all cruise lines who visit Barcelona, when added up this is a lot on top of the original price. 

How can you be charged room tax if you are not using your cabin, in port, due to either going on trips or ashore paying into their evonomy that way?

If you read other cruise blogs this is proposed by the Barcelona authorities, they already impose a room tax for visitors in hotels, they now want to extend it to passengers on cruise ships docked in Barcelona even if they stay on board. The answer is for cruises to not call at Barcelona or for passengers to pick cruises who miss Barcelona out. 

1 hour ago, Jaczs said:

On my next cruise I have decided to cancel the gratuities and go back to tipping myself as to be honest I like giving a person thank you to the people I tip.

I decided to do the same a while ago Jaczs, funnily enough because of previous threads and comments on this forum, at least I know my gratuity has gone to the persons who've served me well, now whether they choose to keep it or put it in the general pot is up to them, but in my mind the persons I give to knew I appreciated them.

HLM.

Jaczs likes this

4 hours ago, Jaczs said:

On my next cruise I have decided to cancel the gratuities and go back to tipping myself as to be honest I like giving a person thank you to the people I tip.

I dislike the 'lady bountiful"feeling of handing over tips.  I much prefer to let the cruise line take care of it, either up front or by daily deductions.  The ideal would be to have tips included in the price of the cruise, then the crew would be properly paid and no passengers would be able to opt out.  Of course this would mean an increase in price, so I don't know which of the main stream cruise lines would want to be the first to do it.  I also suspect that Americans would still tip and soon we would be back to square one.

6 hours ago, smtcan said:

I dislike the 'lady bountiful"feeling of handing over tips.  I much prefer to let the cruise line take care of it, either up front or by daily deductions.  The ideal would be to have tips included in the price of the cruise, then the crew would be properly paid and no passengers would be able to opt out.  Of course this would mean an increase in price, so I don't know which of the main stream cruise lines would want to be the first to do it.  I also suspect that Americans would still tip and soon we would be back to square one.

I certainly wouldn't be against gratuities factored into the headline price, I believe Thomson cruises have done it this way for sometime, and it works well as I've experienced it on the Discovery back in August.

As it happened I gave additional tips because of exceptional service, the one thing that stood out was the crew didn't seem to be trying to over do it to get the gratuity, like I've experienced on P&O before.

With regards to Americans or any other person, if they choose to give an additional tip that's fine, I don't see any problems with that.

HLM.

Tips into the headline price would be a great idea providing as earlier mentioned in the thread that the money goes to the intended recipient, there is nothing wrong then with fiving an additional tip if you have been happy with the service received.

1 hour ago, cruise chef said:

Tips into the headline price would be a great idea providing as earlier mentioned in the thread that the money goes to the intended recipient, there is nothing wrong then with fiving an additional tip if you have been happy with the service received.

The problem Cruise Chef is whatever way this is done, there are no guarantees where the money goes, cruiselines say one thing and crew say another, others have their own ideas.

I personally don't think there's any sure fire way, however by giving a personal tip to those I want gives me satisfaction in my own mind, what they do with it is up to them.

Time and time again I read "what about those you don't see behind the scenes" not my problem that's between them and their employer, if I worried about that I wouldn't even consider cruising again.

HLM.

Moswinner likes this

1 hour ago, cruise chef said:

It has been suggested for years  but most cruise lines prefer to charge tips as an extra.

I try to prepay or get them included as part of the deal.

I did get told by one lady she had cancelled her tips as she had got the Norovirus ,yep she stiffed the crew that cleaned up after her sickness..Davybe

Gratuities along with smoking are probably the two most contentious subjects on forums not just here but all over the world. 

We all know that gratuities are part of the hotel staff's wages. Some people want the gratuities included in the fare, some want to pay the individual that serves them best whilst others don't want to tip. Different cultures have different attitudes to tipping. In the USA they tip heavily and this is born from the two tier wage structure that exists in the USA. People in the service industry are paid at a lower rate of pay as it is assumed the wages will be made up by way of tips. In Australia the culture is not to tip so on many cruise lines the tips are cancelled but the cost of the product in all departments has risen to compensate.

Why cruise lines world wide don't just include them in the fare is totally beyond me. Perhaps it's to keep the subject going on cruise forums.

Tally likes this

8 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Gratuities along with smoking are probably the two most contentious subjects on forums not just here but all over the world. 

We all know that gratuities are part of the hotel staff's wages. Some people want the gratuities included in the fare, some want to pay the individual that serves them best whilst others don't want to tip. Different cultures have different attitudes to tipping. In the USA they tip heavily and this is born from the two tier wage structure that exists in the USA. People in the service industry are paid at a lower rate of pay as it is assumed the wages will be made up by way of tips. In Australia the culture is not to tip so on many cruise lines the tips are cancelled but the cost of the product in all departments has risen to compensate.

Why cruise lines world wide don't just include them in the fare is totally beyond me. Perhaps it's to keep the subject going on cruise forums.

I agree with your last paragraph OWT, however from a business point of view I suspect by putting the headline price up from anything up to £140pp per cruise makes it less attractive to the consumer.

I think it's a no win situation for everyone.

HLM.

Just now, HLM said:

I agree with your last paragraph OWT, however from a business point of view I suspect by putting the headline price up from anything up to £140pp per cruise makes it less attractive to the consumer.

I think it's a no win situation for everyone.

HLM.

Your probably correct HLM, however if they all did it they would still be pro rata in the same competition area.

OWT