Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Furby

Beautiful Queen Mary 2

11 posts in this topic

Hi  As OWT says the QM2 is the only true ocean liner left at sea but I can't say I find the profile of the ship exceptional.  My favourites lagre/medium sized ships are the original Disney vessels.  Unlike most modern ships including the QM2 they are not straight but are curved.  This meant that these vessels were extremely expensive to build.   Most of the cabins had to be constructed on an individual basis and not  produced by a mass pre-fabrication procedure  It's likely that these ships will be the last to be constructed in this time consuming and expensive manner.

The QM2 is not only a beautiful ship but one to be proud of as the only true 'Liner' in the world and it flies the British Ensign.

When Captain Christopher Wells is master then the Blue Ensign is flown from the stern in lieu of the Red .

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Isn't that to do with his connection to the Royal Navy.

OWT Yes.

see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ensign

Thus, after 1864, the plain blue ensign (i.e., without any defacement or modification) is permitted to be worn, instead of the Red Ensign, by three categories of civilian vessel:[1]

1. British merchant vessels whose officers and crew include a certain number of retired Royal Navy personnel or Royal Navy reservists, or are commanded by an officer of the Royal Naval Reserve in possession of a Government warrant. The number and rank of such crew members required has varied over the years, as have the additional conditions required, since the system was first introduced in 1864.
  2. Royal Research Ships by warrant[a] whether manned by former Royal Navy personnel or Merchant Navy personnel.
  3. British-registered Yachts belonging to members of the following yacht clubs:

Permission for yachts to wear the blue ensign (and other special yachting ensigns) was suspended during both World War I and World War II.

Hi  As OWT says the QM2 is the only true ocean liner left at sea but I can't say I find the profile of the ship exceptional.  My favourites lagre/medium sized ships are the original Disney vessels.  Unlike most modern ships including the QM2 they are not straight but are curved.  This meant that these vessels were extremely expensive to build.   Most of the cabins had to be constructed on an individual basis and not  produced by a mass pre-fabrication procedure  It's likely that these ships will be the last to be constructed in this time consuming and expensive manner.

I should of put 'dramatic' rather than beautiful as I agree there are better looking ships, but she did look very impressive sailing away from her on the tender boat

The QM2 is not only a beautiful ship but one to be proud of as the only true 'Liner' in the world and it flies the British Ensign.

I didn't think the whole 'liner' thing was something that I would notice, but I did, we had a cabin right at the forward and I do normally feel all the movement, on her I could of been mid ship! very stable