Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allicat

When is select dining not select.

7 posts in this topic

Choosing a less favourable balcony cabin on Celebrity Eclipse gave us select/freedom dining. This was new for us, we had wondered who managed to eat on the upper restaurant level. "Come any time you choose but on the first night come at 8.15pm to make life easier." Table for 2 or share is the next question. We wanted to share, that was easily done. Evening 2 we joined a line again at 8.15pm thinking this would be helpful, and we waited knowing no one else. Eventually we found others wanting to share and presented ourselves as a group, that worked well. Evening 3 we turned up at 8.15pm and there was no queue. Great, we thought, we will be seated soon. Still wanting to share a table we were given a pager, 25 mins later we put the pager back on the empty desk and went off to the buffet. Half way through our meal the deputy Maitre D' found us.  Every evening after that we were greeted, accompanied, and given a table at any time by our Maitre D', we were never reduced to the buffet again. " It will be alright on the night" became true, and we then discovered that there were two freedom dining desks, one port one starboard, one worked the other didn't. We needed rescuing and as the deputy Maitre D' liked to be known as 007 James Bond we reckoned he deserved his title. 

anytime dining suites a lot of people

we have tried it but prefer fixed late sitting.

the main reasons being you get to know the table waiters  better and also you get to know your fellow

cruisers at the table

we feel anytime means you may as well take a list of questions and answers

as people every day ask you who you are and what do you do etc ? you then in some cases if you are lucky  never see them again

oh by the way we have done quite a lot of cruises but did not like Eclipse as  ship even though we have been on many Celebrity ships

shipscatfriend

Freedom dining for us also, a great way to meet different people, also to choose different size tables  althouugh a stable for 10 was to large as we couldn't hear some of the conversations.CG

My Time Dining is certainly for me unless on one of the Royal Caribbean Quantum Class ships when Classic Rotational Dining is my preference. For me it allows the option of eat when I want, choice of a large or small table and meet different people rather than same table, same people etc.

I would find it very difficult to move away from freedom dining now. I've become so fond of it that it would feel quite constricting having to go back to a specific sitting and table. I love the flexibility of it and I especially think it's a great addition to cruising during port intensive itineraries. If you've been in port all day, the last thing you want to do is rush to make dinner for a certain time, it's nicer to have the freedom to take your time and do your own thing as and when it suits you. For me it's great and I would always choose it over a sitting now.

Wardlincs likes this

I would find it very difficult to move away from freedom dining now. I've become so fond of it that it would feel quite constricting having to go back to a specific sitting and table. I love the flexibility of it and I especially think it's a great addition to cruising during port intensive itineraries. If you've been in port all day, the last thing you want to do is rush to make dinner for a certain time, it's nicer to have the freedom to take your time and do your own thing as and when it suits you. For me it's great and I would always choose it over a sitting now.

I agree entirely with sammy sun, having done set dining at both early and late sittings and freedom dining (forced on us by four people on a table for eight. Can take bad manners, to a certain extent but draw the line at offensive comments to fellow table companions) and would never go back to set dining and like the fact that not only can we dine to suit our schedule but like the fact that if you meet other people and get along, it's nice that you can have a meal with them, a table to suit and at whatever time suits. Also you can get to know the waiters if you find a table in a location you like, you can asked to be seated there, you get the same waiters but the added bonus of eating with different people at each meal. We have met some very nice like minded people through freedom dining and still meet up with them on cruises.

sammy sun and Davybe like this