Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stormingnorm

Princess Alaska Cruise - May 2016

4 posts in this topic

We stayed for two nights in Vancouver, which seems to be a lovely city. We didn't see a lot of it because Stanley Park was so wonderful, and we spent most of our time there.

We boarded Crown Princess early and it took two hours. I heard that later passengers were taking four hours to get onboard. The big holdup was USA immigration. They just didn't send enough personnel to cope with the number of passengers.

We've been on the Crown Princess before, and really like her. The food and entertainment were good.

We were very lucky when we cruised Glacier Bay. Some park rangers had boarded, and they informed us that there were only about ten days a year when the weather was as good. Lovely blue skies and you could see forever. There is a nice viewing area above the bridge which we used, but, although well wrapped up, it became too cold to stay there. We retired to our balcony. Now we could only see the view from one side of the ship, but it was a lot more comfortable. The scenery was beautiful and the glaciers impressive.

There are excursions available in Juneau. A cheap option is to take a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. They run frequently, and you can stay as long as you like. As well as the glacier, there is wonderful waterfall close by. We took some really nice photos there. We also walked the hiking trail. It was the wrong time of the year to see bears, but there was a "Do not feed the bears" notice near the bus stop, so I guess that bears are often seen here.

Skagway and Ketchikan were quite interesting, but we weren't so lucky with the weather, especially in Ketchikan, where it rained heavily for the length of our stay.

All in all, a great cruise.

post-7711-0-14922000-1475138412_thumb.jpg

post-7711-0-21853900-1475138427_thumb.jpg

post-7711-0-74488300-1475138439_thumb.jpg

post-7711-0-96451300-1475138453_thumb.jpg

We did similar last month -a few days in Vancouver/Whistler and then the Volendam up the inside Passage. Our day in Juneau was a total washout but had two lovely days in Ketchekan and Skagway. Also the day we cruised the Glacier Bay was clear and we saw some awesome sights. 

stormingnorm likes this

We spoke to some Americans a few years ago when doing a cruise around Canada and New England, they said the best time to do an Alaskan cruise is May, does anyone have any advice, we really want to go to Alaska and see as much wildlife as possible, is it worth doing the land stay for this as well as the cruise?

If you want to experience Alaska then yes I agree that the best time to go is early May. As far as the weather is concerned then it is hit and miss with rain but it is not cold and you do not have to worry about bugs and mosquitoes.

Alaska is the most beautiful unspoilt wilderness that you can cruise to and in my opinion unlike Norwegian Fjords (seen one seen them all) Alaska offers wildlife and scenery beyond compare.

My suggestion is to fly to Vancouver and stay for 3 days to experience the wonderful Canadian hospitality then fly to Anchorage a 4 hour flight over the snow capped mountains, glaciers and fjords. Anchorage is an interesting city to explore, and get reindeer burgers from the street vendors.

Go on to Denali National Park and experience the wilderness...

From Anchorage take the train to Seward this 5 hour trip takes you through wild country and breathtaking scenery to Seward for a 7 night cruise to Vancouver.

Of course I would highly recommend Celebrity as they are in my opinion the best.