Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gingercatfan

The Price Of Water In The Dining Rooms

35 posts in this topic

it wasnt untill my second cruise with NCL that i found out that if you wanted water with you evening meal they would bring bottled water at a price , but if you ask for tap water it comes in a jug with ice and lemon free of charge , and i could not taste the difference why cant they  give you the choice when you ask for water at meal times ?

lorraine and andreant like this

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fill you glasses immediately with tap water from a jug and continue to fill up until you finish your meal - apparently they are told to do this, which can be a bit of a waste when you are on coffee. No charge and have never paid for water in the dining room. Maybe if you need sparkling water if will be different.

PMCKU1 likes this

One cruise a few years ago the water in the dining room had a strong chemical taste and no-one could drink it, we all had to order bottled water or do without (had a taste every night in case it was fixed but it was bad for the whole cruise) thought at the time it was a new money-making idea, as our bill was about £50 on bottled water.The crew told us it tested safe to drink .

I think I'm correct in saying that on the cruise lines I use most, P&O, Cunard and Celebrity, the waiter goes around the table with a jug of iced water. I never drink the stuff personally - I prefer a glass of wine :D .

cheers

Harvey

Another point I forgot to mention - I do put a bottle of tap water in my cabin fridge for use as and when needed in my cabin. It is perfectly drinkable, especially when chilled.

At home I fail to understand those who buy numerous large bottles of water in the supermarket when there is excellent clean water from the tap at home.

The bottled water companies boast about the hundreds of years their water has been lying in the ground then put on the label to drink within two days of opening!

cheers

Harvey

ron likes this

Another point I forgot to mention - I do put a bottle of tap water in my cabin fridge for use as and when needed in my cabin. It is perfectly drinkable, especially when chilled.

At home I fail to understand those who buy numerous large bottles of water in the supermarket when there is excellent clean water from the tap at home.

The bottled water companies boast about the hundreds of years their water has been lying in the ground then put on the label to drink within two days of opening!

cheers

Harvey

Harvey,

I am getting worried, having read your last two posts . I am in total agreement :o Hope you enjoyed your walk.

Harvey,

I am getting worried, having read your last two posts . I am in total agreement :o Hope you enjoyed your walk.

Thanks ron. And - yes - I did enjoy it. :)

cheers

Harvey ;)

The speciality restaurants on board tend to bring out the bottled water but we just decline and ask for a jug of iced water instead. Yet the main restaurants automatically bring out the jug. Think it is just a marketing ploy to extract more money from us.

Remember the time when the menu in the main restaurant included the fayre that we now have to pay extra for? But I suppose cruising has become cheaper these days so they have to recoup their losses from somewhere.......

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Hi  I normally have tap water at meal  times on mainstream lines but all the better lines provide bottled mineral water at no extra cost. I have only sailed with Costa once and they will provide tap water if requested but it was vile so you have to pay for bottle water (one of the many reassons I am reluctant to use thjis line again).

Saga always provide water free in the dining room as well as in your cabin, also bottle water free when you are going on an excursion.

MSC is the only company where I have had to pay for water but once again it's the 'Bottom Line' that matters and with some of the MSC deals they are still cheaper even with paying for bottled water at the table.

Simple rule should be

Water in a jug is free

Water in a bottle is paid for (except for the complimentary bottle in the fridge)

Never known it different from that

I enjoy sparkling water when having a good steak and a quality bottle of red wine. I don't mind paying for it.

Having said that on some lines i have cruised with even the bottled waters come free - Viking River, Oceania, Regent.

Good evening mepo and The Travellers. I don't know if you have travelled with MSC but they do not supply free jugs of water at the dining table. Why I do not know but as I posted earlier their cruises are great value and it's the bottom line that matters so in many cases the cruises work out cheaper even with paying for water at dinner. You get what you pay for. I was on an MSC ship 8 weeks ago and had a great cruise with good food, service, facilities and entertainment, that were certainly better than some of the other popular cruise lines.

OWT

The trouble is that you must drink water to avoid swollen ankles etc as a result of the air con on board

I always thought that anything from the 'bar' had to be paid for.

David