Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tettie

Two ladies

16 posts in this topic

Hi, My husband and I have been cruisers since the Canberra, we have usually been P&O fans, and once with Fred Olsen, the last time we cruised with P&O we were disappointed, so my question is......My friend and I usually go on holiday each year, we have decided on a cruise this time, what ship and where would you go? We are both nearly 70 years old, very able, like sunshine but don't want to go on one of the new extra large ships with outdoor sports etc. Any ideas?

Thank you, will check them out, was thinking sometime over the winter, so Med would be too cool, could wait until Spring.

winter destinations would then possibly be caribbean, canaries, dubai

Hi   I have a few suggestions but unless you give a little more information about your requirements they may not be suitable.  I know it's considered rude but what are willing to pay for your cruise, as a general rule the more you pay the better the dining and service.  Do you wish to have a more educational experience, small or large ship, port intensive or relaxing. country casual or formal attire or fly cruise or a UK departure?  

Like land Ahoy, before putting forward any suggestions, I would need to know a little more of your needs and expectations as recommending the wrong ship could equal a  ruined holiday.

Hi Land Ahoy & Oldworldtraveller, My husband isn't going so would feel very guilty going too expensive plus my friend has never cruised and she isn't prepared to spend the cost of Seabourn, Regency etc. We don't mind either fly cruises or UK departures, definitely child free or not in school holidays, I personally enjoy ports so half and half, enjoy formal evenings, not extra large ships, enjoy lectures etc.

Hi 2 ladies. Please read my comments on P and O Special Announcements posted the other day. Although P and O gets a lot of criticism on this site I think the Arcadia might suit you and your friend. The ship is mid size, adults only and on the whole good value for money. Have a good cruise.

Hi Tettie,

Child free, not too expensive brings to mind P&O with Arcadia and Oriana and Cruise and Maritime with any of their ships. Don't exclude Fred Olsen, an excellent cruise line, who in my opinion are better than the former 2 mentioned but you do get the occasional child on board but not often. Also have a look at Azamara who initially seen more expensive but remember the base fare includes gratuities and all your drinks plus some added touches that other cruise lines do not offer such as the 'Azamazing Evening'. However they do not do formal evenings it is country casual dress attire.

Hope this helps.

OWT

Sound advice from OWT, looking at P&O adult ships are a great option with Oriana being the smaller ship and rightly so dont rule out Fred Olsen who sometimes have more interesting itineraries than some of the larger operators

Hi fellow cruisers, going to check out Fred Olsen, also Azamara, I noticed FO have a fly cruise to the Seychelles which appeals. Have travelled on the Oriana many times, the last time about 3 years ago we were disappointed with the food, very repetitive, and the Conservatory, canteen food ( used the restaurant instead )

Checking these ships and destinations will keep me busy on this miserable Sunday afternoon.

Hi, My husband and I have been cruisers since the Canberra, we have usually been P&O fans, and once with Fred Olsen, the last time we cruised with P&O we were disappointed, so my question is......My friend and I usually go on holiday each year, we have decided on a cruise this time, what ship and where would you go? We are both nearly 70 years old, very able, like sunshine but don't want to go on one of the new extra large ships with outdoor sports etc. Any ideas?

Hi  On the information given, I would consider Cunard (QV and QE) although they are medium sized vessels they do have formal evenings and good guest lecturers.  Swan Hellenic have great itineraries and lecturers the ship is small but a little more expensive than some.  Fred Olsen have small ships, formal nights and the food presented is much better than either Cunard or P&O, the guest lecturers are of variable quality.  As  OWT has stated Azamara offer a great product and innclude tips, drinks in the price and the dining is especially good.  Saga may also tick the right boxes but again they are a little more expensive than some.   If you don't mind smart casual attire consider a fly/river cruise you will probably visit many novel ports and the excursions which are included in the price are well organised and educational.

Like others I would say Cunard, if your friend has not been on a cruise befor, she would love all three ships, in the fleet.

Afternoon tea is a joy, and stylish, nice. mix of formal, and informal, good ports, and could suit any buget, from inside stateroom to grills

Yes they have children but very good kids clubs, so you don't see many children, also think about going out of holiday time.

My first cruise was with Cunard on the old QE2, so am a Cunard fan.

Have a good time which ever ship you go on