Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldagecruiser

Dress Codes

20 posts in this topic

Hi, We are booked on a Princess Hawaii cruise in March next year and wondering what to pack for 'smart casual'.

Does this mean a jacket for men or just smart trousers and an open necked shirt?

Every time I have been on a American Cruise Ship, they do not tend to dress up much at nights, I have even seen people go in with swim wear at night!!!

It may depend on the cruise line. My experience of sailing with Celebrity out of the USA is that almost everyone adheres to the dress code of the evening.

cheers

Harvey

I think it is a shame that the formal nights are being "down graded" To me half the fun of cruising is dressing up. Nothing looks better than a dining room full of people who have mad an effort to look glamorous

Harvey likes this

Princess does not have semi formal and smart casual  at dinner is normally an open good shirt and in warm climates then a short sleeve with smart pants , no shorts though some try (ugh) . Nothing wrong with a light weight jacket . Formal nights are per code with suits and blazers, tuxes and white DJ though some ignore but most passengers do dress up nicely.

Princess though does not enforce so do not be surprised if some arrive with tshirt and all

On a recent Princess cruise a 'gentleman' was allowed to enter the MDR on a formal night wearing track suit bottoms, a 'hoodie' and a back to front baseball cap. When my husband mentioned this to the Maitre D' his reply was "What can I do?"

Surely this is an insult to the people who do make an effort to smarten up for formal evenings - not essentially a DJ but at least a suit and tie. Also on casual evenings, shorts and t-shirts were not an unusual sight in the dining room.

While we really enjoy Princess cruises, this is one aspect which disappoints us.

Dress codes are suggested in the daily 'paper' as guidelines for that particular evening.  Unfortunately guidelines are not 'rules'.  If there were rules, then they could be enforced.  Guidelines, on the other hand, are giving people a choice, and that some people will do what they want, when they want, and get away with it.  Such people do not feel embarrassment or self-consciousness, they just don't care. 

On P&O the Daily paper does not mention guidelines it states "the Dress code for that particular evening" in the MDR nothing more nothing less.wink.png

I have been on some ships recently where pssengers have either been asked to go back to their room for a jacket or even denied access on a formal evening to the main restaurant as they were not appropriately dressed, so if you intend to make the most rhe ship has to offer it is best to go with the guidelines provided on the tickets or operators online cruise checkin site

Hello adding to all the above :- book Cunard,you know the dress code it will be adhered to and politely but firmly enforced.

Rodger.

Of course Rodger, Standards old boy.