Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mylo2908

Why do people moan about using the hand gel onboard

72 posts in this topic

This type of person will more than likely moan about anything and everything. If they don't realise that this procedure is for the good of the ship then they are just plain ignorant. It's probably the same people that don't think it's necessary to wash their hands after using the toilet. Imagine the moan they'd have if they were locked in their cabin for 3 days... in fact that's probably the best place for them  ;)

Interestingly, we watched a programme the other night on BBC called 'Trust me I'm a doctor' and that programme confirmed what we've thought all along that, whilst hand gels are useful in their place, it's thorough washing of the hands that actually gets rids of far more germs (they proved 99%) and cleans the hands far better.  Of course whilst onboard a cruise I use the hand gel whenever and wherever it is presented but I have to say that I really hate it as after about 5/6 days of the cruise my hands start to break out in a painful, blistery rash.  I would never refuse the gel despite this but still believe that good hand washing practice goes a long way to avoiding the dreaded lurgi which, contrary to what some people think, can strike anyone at any time no matter how careful they are!

A.D.E.

ron, jeannie and Chriswes like this

I think cruise lines are getting more strict with this.  I've seen it becoming more common lately where passengers are refused entry to dining rooms until they have used the gel and in cases in the buffet restaurants I've seen people walk past the gel's only to be asked to go back and use them. 

ncc62 likes this

if people moan about using gel sanitzers just ignore them , regular cruisers do it all automatically , we even carry a little handy bottle everywhere

better being safe than noro bound .

bac likes this

Some people say their hands break out in a painful rash. I would have thought that a good hand cream applied several a few times a day would counteract any irritation caused by the hand gel.

With regard to the Norovirus - the best cleaning process is soap and water. The standard alcoholic hand gel as typically used on cruise ships does not kill this germ. it will however help to kill off some other germs so very worthwhile using. I totally agree that it's use should be enforced at all eateries.

As showgirl said - it's amazing the number of people who do not wash their hands after visiting the toilet.  (This obviously applies in the Gents as well as in the Ladies!) I just cannot understand their thought process.

cheers

Harvey

terrierian and grambocini like this

Some people say their hands break out in a painful rash. I would have thought that a good hand cream applied several a few times a day would counteract any irritation caused by the hand gel.

With regard to the Norovirus - the best cleaning process is soap and water. The standard alcoholic hand gel as typically used on cruise ships does not kill this germ. it will however help to kill off some other germs so very worthwhile using. I totally agree that it's use should be enforced at all eateries.

As showgirl said - it's amazing the number of people who do not wash their hands after visiting the toilet.  (This obviously applies in the Gents as well as in the Ladies!) I just cannot understand their thought process.

cheers

Harvey

harvey have you ever told someone who is about to leave the gents without washing there hands to do so .

i have and not got abuse .

its down to everyone t keep noro of ships and most folk are of the same thought culture

Why do the cruise lines just refuse these people entry to the dining rooms? especially when offered the gel and they refuse.?CG 

totally agree with this no gel usage no entry

Jaybee43 likes this

harvey have you ever told someone who is about to leave the gents without washing there hands to do so .

i have and not got abuse .

its down to everyone t keep noro of ships and most folk are of the same thought culture

I did once and they just carried on walking out of the door. They tend to be pretty quick on their feet and out of the door smartish. They know full well what they are doing! Just think too - their kids will no doubt do the same - so that's another generation of selfish dirty people.

cheers

Harvey

ncc62 likes this

cheers

Harvey

The ships hand gels are very high in alcohol content so for people like me who suffer from eczema it causes very sore hands and an awful lot of pain and sorry to disappoint but a bit of hand cream is no good. I wash my hands before going to the dinning room I do not use the ships gels but my own which is for sensitive skin. Not all people who do not use the ship gel are dirty some just can't use it.

The ships hand gels are very high in alcohol content so for people like me who suffer from eczema it causes very sore hands and an awful lot of pain and sorry to disappoint but a bit of hand cream is no good. I wash my hands before going to the dinning room I do not use the ships gels but my own which is for sensitive skin. Not all people who do not use the ship gel are dirty some just can't use it.

Good evening Jaczs.

There are always medical exceptions to the generality and my apologies if I offended you.

If I may say in my defence however - I did not say that those who did not use the ship's gel were dirty.

cheers

Harvey

Jaczs.

Good evening, I like you suffer from severe Eczema, and do not use the hand gel supplied by the ship for exactly the same reason (Alcohol content) I have my own which is Alcohol free. But you cannot explain to everyone what you are using.But I must say after using the toilet I do wash my hands with soap & Hot water ;)

Jaczs.

Good evening, I like you suffer from severe Eczema, and do not use the hand gel supplied by the ship for exactly the same reason (Alcohol content) I have my own which is Alcohol free. But you cannot explain to everyone what you are using.But I must say after using the toilet I do wash my hands with soap & Hot water ;)

Just a point - purely for information.  There was medical research a few years back which said it doesn't matter if the water is hot or cold. It's the use of soap which is important.

cheers

Harvey

bac likes this

jaczs you have the right attitude if ships gels are not right for you find an alternative shows that you respect others .

well done

Good evening Jaczs.

There are always medical exceptions to the generality and my apologies if I offended you.

If I may say in my defence however - I did not say that those who did not use the ship's gel were dirty.

cheers

Harvey

Hi Harvey

I was not offended at all just trying to explain that when people notice others not using the ships hand gels it maybe due to the fact they can't and are using their own, mind you others are just plain dirty and don't use them :)

Its the people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom that gets my back up…. also those that use their own gels do tend to use them within eye contact of the dispensers.

I agree Pesky Pirate I am continually amazed watching ladies leave the bathrooms without washing their hands and touching everything as they leave, it takes a few minutes and could save someone else having an awful holiday because they have touched something behind them, I am sure it happens as often in the men's bathroom as well.

That is my pet hate, people not washing hands after the toilet. I never open the doors on the way out without using a paper towel or something that is available (my own tissues). This applies to pubs as well.

I wish all cruisers were as hygienic as the forum members on this thread.