Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

weaver

hotels at southampton

62 posts in this topic

I always stay at the Holiday Inn right on the Sea Front, just down from the De Vere.  Brilliant location & I leave the car there.  They even run a shuttle to the port  & pick us up after our holiday

I recently used the ibis budget that used to be the old etap hotel.  it depends what your looking for.  If its just a cheap place to get your head down then this is the place but if you want luxury this is not it.  The rooms are very basic with simple amenities.  Its the ideal place to get your head down for the night and we used it because we werent getting down there till 10pm to sail the following day so just booked somewhere for best price.  If your gonna be down there a bit longer and want something nicer then obviously the grand harbour hotel is really nice but hotels like the Jury's Inn and the Novotel are both really good and ideal locations.

I have used the Premier Inn west quay, it was only built about three years ago so is a great place to get your head down for the night at a reasonable rate. Also its right by the Ikea on the main road which leads to the docks, cost £5 in a taxi to the ship  

last time i used the hilton, whilst its not close to the port the taxi shuttle service they offered was great, the real plus was on the way home as the taxi dodged the southampton traffic queues and as we were a little out of the way we joined the motorway network without waiting in standing traffic

We always stay at the Holiday Inn. It has the advantage of overlooking the Mayflower terminal so you can see the ship in the dock or, if you are on the other side and awake early enough, you can see the ship arriving.

We stayed at the holiday inn by the Hampshire Cricket Ground in August for our Azura cruise. Nice pub walking distance down the road. A virgin gym next door and it was a very good price because we booked it early. Short drive to the terminal next morning after breakfast.

We stayed at the Travelodge at Sutton Scotney on the way down in May, huge mistake, although on a bed for a few hours the place was dirty and run down.

Our first cruise ever involved a stop at the Travelodge at Sutton Scotney. Take warning from hturtle, it was our huge mistake too. The Premier Inns in Southampton are a far better deal and a reasonable cost too.

Travelodge at Sutton Scotney closed down in June so panic averted there, it was pretty dire.

I must admit I have always found the Premier Inn brand to be a decent standard, so will quite happily use them for a 1 or 2 night stopover.

Regards

Bryn.

We have Stayed at the Novotel Close to the Ikea.  and Also the Ibis which is next door . but that was a bad room we had very noisey and sheets wasn,t clean. That was March this yr but in June this yr we stayed at the Premier inn. Very near the Port also walking distance to the shopping centre .We use an out of town Cruise Parking so on morning of the Cruise we drive down to them and they bring you back in a Mini bus and on day we return they come to pick you up and take you back to your car  its called www.acp-southampton.co.uk

I stayed at the Travelodge - never again!!

I agree it's not nice place lets hope the right people will see these quotes and get something done about it???

Grand harbour formally owned by DeVere, is about to have a massive make over by the new owners. But there are some great deals to be had if you look on their web site. Dinner b&b ...etc, there is a good restaurant and good bar meals... A spa and indoor pool and steam, sauna which is free to use.good car parking and short walk to shops and water side. Plus a short drive in the morning..

We would recommend the Novotel at West Quay. The cruise & park package includes 1 night stay with breakfast and parking for the duration of the cruise. It also includes a taxi transfer to the ship and then you pay for your taxi to get back. which is approximately £6.

I'd put another vote for the Premier Inn West Quay.  It won't give you spa facilities, but a great value room with outstanding service and very comfortable.  In fact I'd say it's the most comfortable bed in a hotel room I've ever stayed in, second only to Marriot.  I really can't rave about it enough!

If you just want someone to sleep the night before leaving, I doubt you'll get a better value for money offering.  If you want access to a pool and spa facilities to relax before cruising then it wouldn't be the best option.

We always stay at the Hilton which we consider to be really good. They offer a deal called Cruise and Stay which effectively gives you one nights b & b, car parking for the whole of your cruise and taxi down to the port and back. Never had any problems with them.

We have stayed at The Old Star coaching Inn in the centre of the town and  also next door at the Mercure Dolphin.

We have stayed in more recent times at The Premier Inn West Quay. Only a short taxi ride to the port. Very near the West Quay shopping centre and great for shopping in general and eating out. Everything close by. Plus they have good deal and can get room for as little as £29 per night at certain times of the year. Cheap and cheerful and a decent place to stay with a decent restaurant.

We often stay at the Holiday Inn which is near the port. We stay one night and leave our car for two weeks in their car park. They even provide a taxi to the ship.

We have always use a travelodge on the drive down cheap and a bed for the night that is all we want and use CPS for parking and never had any problems. Would never dream of leaving my car in an unsecure hotel car park with hotel saying leave at your own risk while on a cruise.