Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Keefyweefy

P&o Booze Prices!!!

73 posts in this topic

Is it me or do the prices on P&O seem to be high - £ 3.70 a pint of Stella. That is not a High Street price in Yorkshire!!!.Last year on thee Azura it was £2.95 - some increase - no?

I think that's pretty average in a decent hotel down south.  I would say that onboard prices should really be compared to 4 star hotels not High Street pubs.

ron likes this

Is it me or do the prices on P&O seem to be high - £ 3.70 a pint of Stella. That is not a High Street price in Yorkshire!!!.Last year on thee Azura it was £2.95 - some increase - no?

Just checked my Azura on board bill. I was drinking Stella Pints in Brodies on 22 September  while watching live Premiership Football.

My bill says each pint, ordered separately was £3.65.

Three weeks ago on Queen Mary 2 I was watching Premiership Football in the Golden Lion. Drinking Stella draft pints at S5.75 plus $0.86 service charge, a total per pint of $6.61. 

That at todays exchange rate is £4.10.

On both ships there were waiting staff to serve the beer though I did sit at the bar in the Golden Lion.

As Tom says above, I know where I'd rather be.

I partly understand where your coming from as I have seen a slight increase in drink prices with P&O over recent times but in the grand scheme of things I don't think its too bad at all.  I travelled with Holland America not too long ago and the drink prices on there were far more.  I agree with tom cruise, I think P&O compared to some of the American cruise lines, not all, but some are good value for money.

been P&O and Princess this year. our daily drinks -6 large cokes, couple of fruit juices, 2 G&Ts ,2 alcohol free cocktails, 2 cocktails and 1 bottle chateau neuf du pape. 

P&O approx £ 65

Princess  inc 15% service charge approx $66- 30% cheaper

P&O need to sort out prices of soft drinks

our favorite wine was $22.95 +15% on Princess £24.95 on P&O 

Does anybody have any idea of prices on Celebrity cruise line? I am trying to decide if it is worth while to purchase the drinks package, thanks

Hi  I am not defending high prices for alcoholic beverages on cruise lines but P&O is withourt doubt one of the cheapest in the cruise industry.  Most cruise lines cannot fill their ships without heavy discounting, so they recoup this by charging more for onboard expenses.  Remember the old adage "you don't get something for nothing in this world" but cruising is still incredible value for money. 

shep2902 likes this

Well my normal beer to drink would be John Smiths but it's cheaper to drink that on board a P&O ship as it is in the locals down here in the South East!!! However must admit we normally drink bottles and bottles of Prosecco and at £18+ a bottle seems to make that insignificant !!!

The drinks prices on P&O like Fred Olsen and Cruise and Maritime, Saga etc. are reasonable. Some people complain about the cost of drinks on the American lines but seem to forget that the entry cost of the cruise on the American lines is quite often a lot lower. Instead of looking at drink prices in isolation would it not be better to look at the 'Bottom Line'? You may find that the ships with the higher drink prices work out cheaper especially if you drink in moderation.

i agree oldworldtraveller, i do find p&o very reasonable prices adn the american ships alot more but like you say if you are aware of this before you go its not a problem.

Onboard Ventura Transatlantic in Oct/Nov the price of 500ml bottle of Ringwood Old Thumper was £3.45, good value onboard. Better value when the discount deducted from onboard spend.

We have just returned from the Ventura and were more than happy with the drinks prices. In particular, a cocktail is quite a bit cheaper than a large glass of wine and the cocktails are properly made, not syrups. We didn't speak to anyone who thinks that the P&O prices are high and of course there is no 15%added.

shep2902 likes this

I agree. P&O prices are very reasonable and hopefully remain this way.

I think P&O have got it right on drinks. They allow a reasonable amount of drinks to be brought aboard for consuming in one's cabin, the ability to stock a bar in the cabin with bottles purchased on board at  near undiscounted super market prices, carafes and half carafes of decent house wine in the restaurant are available at good prices and other wines at only about £16 a bottle as well as more expensive finer wines and they will keep the undrunk part of a bo Coffee,tea and water are free 24 X 7 and if you want it a top quality coffee can be purchased for  prices similar to those in starbucks. 

ron, Cruiseada, shep2902 and 1 other like this

The point is that you are not in your local but on a cruise ship and being waited on and you are on holiday. Of you really are worried about the price of a pint of Stella is it because you genuinely can't afford it or that you just want to moan about it and probably everything else. When we go on cruises there always seem an element of moaners and they are usually people with no real concept of comparisons. My tip is pay up and enjoy your holiday rather than blighting your own holiday and everybody that has to listen to your moans. Or if you don't like the price don't buy it and have a free cup of coffee or iced water.....your choice.

Oldworldtraveller, Sailaway and ron like this

We were just on the ventura and the prices were very reasonable. To buy wine in the restaurant was ok. We had a wine expert on our table and he said that some prices matched the supermarkets!!!!!!!

Just one point, the ship does not pay or charge tax or duty on alcoholic drinks. A pub or restaurant in the UK has to pay and charge tax and duty so the ships are making far more profit on drinks than in the uk. At one time the drinks prices were far cheaper on board ship for this reason.

Oldworldtraveller and willie like this

but they have to make money, otherwise  people would have to pay a higher fare then everybody would complain about that, the price of most things have risen as I am sure you know obviously they pay less than you or I plus they must buy in such bulk they get the goods even cheaper look at the big supermarkets they buy in bulk so they can out do the corner shop. ;) Ron