Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AZURA

Gratuities, I Would Like Your Views On This Subject.

113 posts in this topic

I find that P&O suggested Tips per day are I consider quite high. I always tip the Steward and dining room staff ,but at a more reasonable amount that I consider to be  a reasonable amount.  

PO recommended tips are very reasonable. If we have great service we leave the auto tips on and also leave something extra for the cabin Steward.

We have never had bad service but if we did we would try to sort it immediately but if this didn't work then we would consider reducing the tips but only as a last resort. The crew work exceptionally hard and deserve their tips.

I would prefer the tips to be included in the cruise price.

Sue

Ledge likes this

I think the tip suggestion is extremely reasonable on P+O. I always increase the amount if cabin and restaurant service is better than average.

P&Os gratuities are the lowest of any cruise line I've seen.  The hundreds of staff that work incredibly hard and long hours to ensure your cruise is excellent surely deserve a couple of pound a day.

As others have said, it's best you don't try any other cruise line.  Celebrity automatically charge $11.50 per person per night to your account, equivalent to just over £7 - double what P&O recommend.

I find that P&O suggested Tips per day are I consider quite high. I always tip the Steward and dining room staff ,but at a more reasonable amount that I consider to be  a reasonable amount.  

Sounds like a wind up to me but if you genuinely think P&O gratuities are high then don't try another cruise line as most are more than double P&O.

I had the same thought Old World Traveller.

P&O recommendations for 'gratuities' have to be one of the most reasonable afloat.

God forbid if ever member Azura sails with Oceania where the recommended rate is $16.50 per person per day.

Sailaway and Oldworldtraveller like this

The costs of $11.50 or £7.00 ish are split between your waiter, assistant waiter, cabin steward and their helpers and the housekeeper, this is 5 persons and at just over $2.00 per day its peanuts, if you don't want to tip don't cruise.  They work very hard and longer hours than we would without a break, day off etc so please stop griping about tips.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

The costs of $11.50 or £7.00 ish are split between your waiter, assistant waiter, cabin steward and their helpers and the housekeeper, this is 5 persons and at just over $2.00 per day its peanuts, if you don't want to tip don't cruise.  They work very hard and longer hours than we would without a break, day off etc so please stop griping about tips.

Its not my job to give the staff a reasonable wage but their employers i.e. the cruise company. Sorry but on a 14 nt cruise for 2 thats £200 approx and then the cruise companies that charge $11.50 also charge 15% extra on drinks.

Its not my job to give the staff a reasonable wage but their employers i.e. the cruise company. Sorry but on a 14 nt cruise for 2 thats £200 approx and then the cruise companies that charge $11.50 also charge 15% extra on drinks.

If cruise lines were to increase the wages and get rid of tips, do you expect that your fare would stay the same?  I wouldn't count on it.

If cruise lines were to increase the wages and get rid of tips, do you expect that your fare would stay the same?  I wouldn't count on it.

Wouldnt matter then because it will be settled when you book or decide to not book the cruise and in my opinion should be that way on all ships so that everybody pays the tips just think $11.50 a day +15% on drinks is a bit too much. P&O have it right and in over 20 cruises with them never not paid gratuities.

Wouldnt matter then because it will be settled when you book or decide to not book the cruise and in my opinion should be that way on all ships so that everybody pays the tips just think $11.50 a day +15% on drinks is a bit too much. P&O have it right and in over 20 cruises with them never not paid gratuities.

Am I reading this correctly?

'Its not my job to give the staff a reasonable wage but their employers'

followed by...

'P&O have it right and in over 20 cruises with them never not paid gratuities'.

I've always understood that P&O staff rely on their gratuities to make up their wages.

On Oceania the gratuities are  $12.50 per guest, per day and are automatically added to your shipboard account. An additional $4.00 per guest, per day will be added for guests occupying suites where Butler Service is provided.

I was more than happy to pay for the service I received and have always considered it part and parcel of cruising life.

I think that perhaps people should look at why gratuities are charged at the rate they are. In the USA there are 2 different levels of minimum wage. One is for the ordinary type of job and the other is for the service industry the categories of which speak for themselves. The service industry has a lower minimum wage and it is the accepted norm that people rely on their 'tips' to make up their wages. That is why a 15%-20% tip in the USA is not uncommon as many who have travelled around 'The States' will know. The same has been carried over onto the ships which is why you seldom hear people from the USA complaining about gratuities. For the rest of us it is about accepting what is normal in that country which owns and operates the ships. If you don't like the system, don't sail on the ships. 

DavidH, Sailaway and dst87 like this

Am I reading this correctly?

'Its not my job to give the staff a reasonable wage but their employers'

followed by...

'P&O have it right and in over 20 cruises with them never not paid gratuities'.

I've always understood that P&O staff rely on their gratuities to make up their wages.

Yes I agree it does sound contradictory but have done many cruises with P&O and always paid in envelopes at the end of the cruise and continued when auto gratuities added to my OBC were introduced. What I was trying to say that I think $11.50 pppn and 15% on every drink is a bit too much and dont like the emotional blackmail that if I dont pay it they will suffer in there wages. If that is the case are P&O staff paid a better basic wage before gratuities than Princess/Cunard staff are, not forgetting they are all under Carnival, because I dont think so.

I think that tips should be included in the advertised price of the cruise and only removed if you have bad service.  I have been on cruises where several guests have gone down on the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise asking for tips to be removed from their account. I don't feel it's fair on the hard working staff and guests wonder why the staff are not happy!

Bobydogs likes this

I think that tips should be included in the advertised price of the cruise and only removed if you have bad service.  I have been on cruises where several guests have gone down on the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise asking for tips to be removed from their account. I don't feel it's fair on the hard working staff and guests wonder why the staff are not happy!

Most cruises I've priced do show the gratuities in the final price before booking (I always price online before calling an agent to book, so I can compare different options/TAs).

This basically is the system that you want.  I always pay for gratuities upfront and have never had bad service on a cruise (except a couple of times on Cunard, who also don't let you pre-pay).

You'd still find a long line of tight-wads who queue to have them removed, claiming bad service!  Remember that service is subjective, so who decides what bad service is!

Personally I would prefer to see gratuities included in the price of the cruise which would stop those who leave gratuities on

their account subsidising those who remove them.

We are not stupid enough to believe that these are 'gratuities' in the true sense of the word but a contribution to the salary of the staff.

I doubt that this system will ever change, the 'American' culture which dominates cruise companies in the UK is too ingrained.

Even though Azamara includes gratuities in the fare price there are always threads on the Azamara Cruise Critic board concerning how much extra to tip.

I prefer the auto gratuity route, I dislike handing over envelopes like 'Lady Bountiful' on the final evening, somehow it seems demeaning to the people who

have helped make my cruise so enjoyable.

I'm sure many will disagree but that is how I feel.

DavidH likes this

Personally I would prefer to see gratuities included in the price of the cruise which would stop those who leave gratuities on

their account subsidising those who remove them.

We are not stupid enough to believe that these are 'gratuities' in the true sense of the word but a contribution to the salary of the staff.

I doubt that this system will ever change, the 'American' culture which dominates cruise companies in the UK is too ingrained.

Even though Azamara includes gratuities in the fare price there are always threads on the Azamara Cruise Critic board concerning how much extra to tip.

I prefer the auto gratuity route, I dislike handing over envelopes like 'Lady Bountiful' on the final evening, somehow it seems demeaning to the people who

have helped make my cruise so enjoyable.

I'm sure many will disagree but that is how I feel.

In English we only have one word (or at least one meaning) for this transaction - tip and gratuity typically mean the same thing - and it's difficult to distinguish what we mean by that.  I always like to consider the pre-paid gratuities and 15% automatic gratuity on bar bills more like a service charge (i.e. the cost of providing the service) and where we get lower fares because the wages are made up of service charges, this is fair.  I believe this is effectively what American's are so insistent on - the service charge to make up their living wage.  This is why (again, my opinion) Americans will even tip for mediocre or bad service (just not as much).

Second to that is a discretionary gratuity that is reserved for outstanding service; given if someone goes above and beyond or is exceptionally friendly and you want to reward that.  Some people like to give a little extra to the wine waiter or bar staff if they've been exceptionally friendly and helpful.

EDIT:  I definitely agree with the last bit though - I hate the process of handing over a little envelope of cash.  I've said before that I think at least some people who do this just like to feel important and powerful over someone they consider subservient.

We have just returned from a P&O cruise and left the automatic tips in place. Two points with this, our cabin steward told us that if we did not put 'excellent' on the questionnaire she would not get the full tips allowance, as she was excellent this was not a problem but i was concerned that if she did not get the tips we paid who would? secondly we were the only couple to pay automatic tipping on our table and when the three other couples on our table handed out tip envelopes they seemed to think we were trying to get out of tipping.  

We have just returned from a P&O cruise and left the automatic tips in place. Two points with this, our cabin steward told us that if we did not put 'excellent' on the questionnaire she would not get the full tips allowance, as she was excellent this was not a problem but i was concerned that if she did not get the tips we paid who would? secondly we were the only couple to pay automatic tipping on our table and when the three other couples on our table handed out tip envelopes they seemed to think we were trying to get out of tipping.  

I have found this a little awkward too - other members of the table doing things differently and handing over cash at the end of a cruise.  I can't help but feel that it's just oneupmanship that makes people want to do that gesture.

Almost like celebrities who make large donations to charity but ensure that everyone knows about it.  They're not interested in donating to charity (or rewarding service) all they care about is making themselves feel good and look good to anyone watching.  I honestly feel like it's a power thing.

As for the P&O questionnaire I don't really like this idea that you're told how to vote or guilted into voting.  Is it possible that the steward was telling a white lie to get better ratings?  On our first Celebrity Cruise the cruise director was constantly telling us how much fun we were having and that we need to let them know what a great job they were doing by filling out the questionnaire.  I understand wanting people to fill out the surveys and encouraging people to do so honestly, but it sounded like they just wanted to artificially bump their ratings which doesn't help anyone.

BaLA likes this

I too have heard this from cabin stewards on P&O. Maybe Bolsover could give a definitive answer as they must have a close working relationship with P&O. I very seldom put excellent for anything as for me this grade is reserved for something where no improvement is possible. By people putting excellent just so the cabin steward gets the full gratuity goes a step further in that the cruise company can then show this high percentage of excellence in their advertising literature that could lead to a false impression to new customers. If cruise companies want a true opinion of what the customers think then they should give them the opportunity without the heart strings being pulled.

daryllakey@ymail.com and Furby like this

We have always liked to tip directly on P&O as we know that they have got it then, I dont like adding it on to the onboard account as how certain can you be that it will all reach the staff :/ though the suggested tips on P&O are very reasonable.