Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guest Solent Richard

Pisa And Florence From Livorno

16 posts in this topic

Just what can be achieved in a day from the port of Livorno?

Well with a little bit of planning and research quite a lot. This may offer some food for thought...

Getting to Pisa first would be my priority, avoiding  the crowds...

LeaningTowerandPiazzadelDuomo-Pisa_zpsa4

There is more to Pisa than meets the eye. Around the  Knights Square, or  Piazza dei Cavalieri,  are some amazing buildings, all with so much history attached...

Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa

ScuolaNormaleSuperiore_zps80aa12b8.jpg

Church of the Knights of the Holy and Military Order of St. Stephen

ChurchofSantoStefanodeiCavalieri_zpscd64

...to name but a few.

And to Florence ...

FlorenceoverviewfromBasilicaSanMiniatoal

The Ponte Vecchio

PonteVecchio-TheOldBridge_zpsb0ea03ef.jp

Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore and Campanile

iCampanileofSantaMariadelFiore_zps513262

The Palazzo Vecchio

ThePalazzoVecchio_zps71cdcbd8.jpg

and one of the best places to eat...

TrattoriaMarioneFlorence_zps0f572e7a.jpg

There is a full review with many more photographs on my blog page...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/one-way-to-do-florence-and-pisa/

Any questions?

dst87 and EMALIZ07 like this

Hi Richard.

We're in Livorno in May on Eclipse so naturally your post is of great interest to me.

We have a good, long day (7am - 7pm) so I hope we can achieve quite a lot.  The tour company you mentioned sounds good.  Was this a private car for two of you?  If you don't mind my asking, how much did this cost?  They don't seem to list prices for excursions and tours on their website so I don't even have a clue.  Perhaps this an "if you have to ask" scenario :)

Enjoyed seeing the photos of Florence.  It was one of our favourite ports of call.  Very easy to wander round and see all the sights.  We took the Florence on your own shore excursion.  You are picked up in the morning from the ship by bus and then the guide on the bus will arrange a meeting place to pick you up later in the day.  Had plenty of time to see all the sights.

Is public transport an option?

Hi Richardh.

It certainly is. There is a train from Livorno to Florence though in Florence it would probably require a 15-20 minute walk to Ponte Vecchio.

Hi Richard.

We're in Livorno in May on Eclipse so naturally your post is of great interest to me.

We have a good, long day (7am - 7pm) so I hope we can achieve quite a lot.  The tour company you mentioned sounds good.  Was this a private car for two of you?  If you don't mind my asking, how much did this cost?  They don't seem to list prices for excursions and tours on their website so I don't even have a clue.  Perhaps this an "if you have to ask" scenario :)

Good afternoon Duncan.

The price is mentioned on my blog but it was €400.00 and yes, that was for just the two of us. There was ample room in the Mercedes for two more and I'm sure they would accommodate to reduce the cost proportionately: but that is how we chose to see Pisa and Florence.

The real joy though is not just having a chauffeur but having someone who is knowledgeable about the various sites, their culture and history and who can offer a meaningful explanation as to their importance.

Why spoil the ship for  ha'p'orth of tar.

I also mentioned in the considerably longer blog that I had a series of emails with Papillon Services. We basically had a tailor made day planned around one of their standard tours. They were very

As I'm sure you are aware, I love my wines and therefore the visit to San Michele a Torri was a must. Anyone who would not have a similar interest could easily negotiate an hour somewhere else I'm sure.

dst87 likes this

Super pics Solent Richard !

Brings back fond memories of our stops in Livorno . Like Pinky we did the 'Florence on your own 'on one of our Med cruises ,as we like to do our own thing. It is a transport only organised excursion with tour guide providing maps of city of Florence .

Thanks Richard.

I did some digging around and finally concluded that €400-€450 was around the price.

I feel that it's the only port of call on our itinerary (Malaga, Cannes, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Genoa, Gibraltar, Lisbon) that I'm less keen on doing on my own.  The fact that it's tailored to where (and when) you want to go appeals to me a lot.

I might try and find someone to share with, but even on our own it only works out at around £50/each more than the ships tour.

I will certainly do more research into the areas I'd like to see around Pisa/Florence/Livorno and contact this company for a tailor-made experience :)

Incidentally, if you have similar 'One way to do...' posts on our other ports of call, I'd love to see them!

Thanks Richard.

I did some digging around and finally concluded that €400-€450 was around the price.

I feel that it's the only port of call on our itinerary (Malaga, Cannes, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Genoa, Gibraltar, Lisbon) that I'm less keen on doing on my own.  The fact that it's tailored to where (and when) you want to go appeals to me a lot.

I might try and find someone to share with, but even on our own it only works out at around £50/each more than the ships tour.

I will certainly do more research into the areas I'd like to see around Pisa/Florence/Livorno and contact this company for a tailor-made experience :)

Incidentally, if you have similar 'One way to do...' posts on our other ports of call, I'd love to see them!

Well there you go. Glad to be of timely assistance.

I'll have a Gibraltar One Way to do up for you by the weekend.

Thanks Richard.

There you go Duncan, just for you...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/one-way-to-do-gibraltar/

I'll place a preview on the Forum as well.

There you go Duncan, just for you...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/one-way-to-do-gibraltar/

I'll place a preview on the Forum as well.

Thank you sir!  I have 7 months to improve my fitness :)  What is the weather likely to be like in May?  (I know this can vary a lot, but, on average)

Gibraltar looks very interesting, especially some of the military sights.

Thank you sir!  I have 7 months to improve my fitness :)  What is the weather likely to be like in May?  (I know this can vary a lot, but, on average)

Gibraltar looks very interesting, especially some of the military sights.

Good evening Duncan.

The weather should be better than when I took those photographs - it was a February visit.

The place is a photographer's dream.

Hi we did both when on AOTS inSept went on a trip of the ship,we had 1hour in Pisa and 4hours in Florence it was plenty of time....

Yes my hubby did in the rock,he enjoyed very much...

I did a lovely trip by coach to a park, then onwards by small boat on river into the heart of Pisa. It was a magical sunny day- and the hot chocolate in Pisa was almost thick enough to stand a spoon up in. I remember the day as being one of the best on the cruise. It was a P&O trip, so enjoyable I would love to do it again.