Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Victor

Shoplifting On Ships

50 posts in this topic

Been reading on another site about passengers being put off Azura recently for shoplifting and another being put off for drunkeness. Anybody come across anything like this on their cruises.

Actually it is true.... When I was on Artemis I heard from a reliable source about the amount of shoplifting which occurred on ships. There are cameras around which the passengers cannot always see.

Yes, we believe it's true! We were told that on Aurora in Sept. an old couple (one in a wheelchair) were arrested ashore for shoplifting. Police arrived at the port, boarded and searched their cabin. This was the last port before coming home. Apparently they had been shoplifting all through the cruise and plenty of goods were found. This came from quite a good source apparently!!!!

tj42 likes this

Yes, we believe it's true! We were told that on Aurora in Sept. an old couple (one in a wheelchair) were arrested ashore for shoplifting. Police arrived at the port, boarded and searched their cabin. This was the last port before coming home. Apparently they had been shoplifting all through the cruise and plenty of goods were found. This came from quite a good source apparently!!!!

That story has been around for a long time I first heard it on Aurora about 8yrs ago

I know of people who have helped themselves to their photographs from the photo place, completely wrong of course but i wonder if the price of the photo's to buy is anything to do with it

JH327 and Popsicle like this

I have heard the tales too - the wheelchair one particularly!

I do know of people being put off the ship for unruly behaviour - but I think it is a rareity!

The problems with the shops are that they have lots of stalls, mainly in the walkways where a lot of people congregate or are struggling to get through and there isn't really enough staff to police it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a ships equivalent of a store detective on board, if only to watch the cctv….

The problems with the shops are that they have lots of stalls, mainly in the walkways where a lot of people congregate or are struggling to get through and there isn't really enough staff to police it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a ships equivalent of a store detective on board, if only to watch the cctv….

But surely no-one would nick any of the tat sold in the walkways! The stuff sold outwith the shops is usually low grade tat -  cheap jewellery, watches. etc..

cheers

Harvey

ron likes this

I agree that that stuff is the cheap stuff that anyone in their right mind wouldn't give a second look at but it's amazing what rubbish people nick. However, they do need better security if this is a worsening problem.

I agree that that stuff is the cheap stuff that anyone in their right mind wouldn't give a second look at but it's amazing what rubbish people nick. However, they do need better security if this is a worsening problem.

I suppose you're right The Pesky Pirate. It IS amazing what some people will nick. One would have thought though that people who could afford to cruise would not need to steal tat. Maybe it's a result of lower headline cruise prices. Should the fares be based on inclusive of tips and all the other little 'nice' touches no longer available including better quality food etc. This may then deter the riff-raff who steal from even considering cruising? I'd certainly pay more upfront to ensure a quality experience. If only!!

cheers

Harvey

PS  Just twigged that your forum name is that of someone who steals! (Only kidding :D .)

Jeffniffer likes this

We were doing a transatlantic crossing from Caribbean to Southampton March 2013 on the Azura and one lady was so incapable of getting up the gangway at St Kitts she was put off at Tenerife, on the same cruise two people were caught shop lifting in Puerto de la Cruz our docking area was awash with local police and the two people concerned were not allowed back on ship, everyone wondered what happened to their belongings in their cabin.

On embarkation day on Grand Princess a couple of years back I was down at the excursion desk, waiting my turn, when down the corridor and past me walked two policemen, a civilian in handcuffs and a ships officer.

Never found out what he had done but the story going round was that he had been stealing from cabins on the previous cruise.

I know of people who have helped themselves to their photographs from the photo place, completely wrong of course but i wonder if the price of the photo's to buy is anything to do with it

It could be that their photos are so grotesque they do'n't want their friends to see them.

nick1310 likes this

Been reading on another site about passengers being put off Azura recently for shoplifting and another being put off for drunkeness. Anybody come across anything like this on their cruises.

Not for shop lifting, was have been on a P O cruise when 4 passangers put off for drunken abusive behavior, after being warned once before. so to P O i say well done, we dont want these sort of people on cruises.

Tamworthbay likes this