Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Solent Richard

Gibraltar On Foot

7 posts in this topic

Strictly for the fitter passengers this guide to Gibraltar involves a considerable amount of walking. But please do not despair, follow the link at the bottom , I have added some tips for those with mobility difficulties.

GibraltarfromthecruiseterminalcopySolent

Heading into town from the Cruise Ship Terminal is straightforward. There is only one way and the road leads to Casemates Square…

CasematesSquare_zpse2f809b9.jpg

It's a lively area with lots of cafes, bars, shops and restaurants. Diagonally across the Square is the exit onto Main Street which, as the name suggests, is the main shopping thoroughfare and it is along here that the majority of duty free shopping can be done.

MainStreetGibraltar_zpsd4a0affe.jpg

At the far end of Main Street is the Governor's residence, called The Convent...

TheConventGovenorsResidence_zps781e3256.

...and that is right opposite a pub which I first frequented in 1970, The Angry Friar...

AngryFriar_zps01f0e85b.jpg

Less than ten minutes further is the Trafalgar Cemetery...

TrafalgarCemetaryGibraltar_zps8eef43b2.j

There are so many choices of places to see on a visit to Gibraltar, particularly if one is into historical events...

WorldWarIItunnels_zps7bfe2bf4.jpg

on the look out for great views...

EuropaPointandAfrica_zps58da8bd7.jpg

Gibborderandfootballstadium_zpsce13b08d.

or you have a sense of adventure...

MediterraneanStepspath_zpsad297055.jpg

(That's the Mediterranean Steps - a rambler's route round the back of Gibraltar)

Or maybe just Aping someone else...

RockApe_zps0c46f046.jpg

What is a fact is that you can read what Solent Richard achieved in a day, on foot, when he last visited Gibraltar...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/one-way-to-do-gibraltar/

Any questions?

Fire away...

DefenceBattery_zps6a87f427.jpg

Harvey and pinky like this

If you wish to have an easy day in Gib or are second time visitor and have been there and done that you can grab a bus from outside Casemates Sq to the Caleta Hotel where there is a very nice sandy beach which is not large but not tiny either. The Caleta does an excellent afternoon tea for just €9.75pp. The bus costs a few pence. Our ship did an 'Afternoon tea at the Caleta' excursion for £49pp. Significant savings can be made if you DIY.

If you wish to have an easy day in Gib or are second time visitor and have been there and done that you can grab a bus from outside Casemates Sq to the Caleta Hotel where there is a very nice sandy beach which is not large but not tiny either. The Caleta does an excellent afternoon tea for just €9.75pp. The bus costs a few pence. Our ship did an 'Afternoon tea at the Caleta' excursion for £49pp. Significant savings can be made if you DIY.

Thank you for pointing that out.

An over view of Catalan Bay and the Caleta Palace Hotel...

CatalanBayGibraltarcopySolentRichard_zps

It also is walkable from the Cruise Ship Terminal and, if my memory serves me right, there is some excellent calamari to be had from both the hotel or the bars and restaurants along the beach.

These pictures bring back memories of a piece of GB that is often visited by many but explored by few.

Spot on OldWorldTraveller.

You have given me the opportunity to 'swing the lamp'.

In 1980 I was serving on HMS Bulwark which was in dry dock in Gibraltar. On Sundays we used to use the military tunnel which ran from the dockyard right under the rock to just east of Catalan Bay.

Many beers and a calamari lunch before setting off back around 3.30 pm.

But in the opposite direction, effectively circumnavigating the Rock.

And the reason? Well, we would see the Sunday BA flight coming in to land and knew that that sys UK Sunday newspapers would be for sale on Main Street by 4.00 pm.

A final beer in The Angry Friar while catching up with the previous day's football then back on board for that siesta.

Happy days.

Trouble with Gib is that most ships are only there for a few hours, I think I would need the day to walk around and visit places properly...

:(

My photograph details indicate we were there for 7 hours.