Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Why Is Cruise Line Entertainment "all The Same Stuff"

33 posts in this topic

Hi Having cruised on many lines cruise lines and even more ships do you think that the entertainment departments associated with them lack the inventiveness to develop novel cruise ship shows.  Having watched numerous shows constructed around Broadway/West End shows how many times can you hear songs such as "Phantom of the Opera" before you go to sleep.  I only really considered the lack of diversity in the entertainment programmes within the cruise line industry when I was on my last cruise (Crystal's Serenity) when a different show (Lumiere) was presented.  It considered of a dark stage and the dancers wore costumes which became illuminated or dark wth the whole show was choreographed to the music (it was both inventive and novel) and made a pleasant change from the usual shows.  What type of shows would you like to see presented on cruise ships in the future or do you like the existing shows?

I know NCL are a completely different kettle of fish to Crystal but the entertainment onboard their ships is amazing and different.  Epic has the Blue Man Group who are brilliant, they have look alike singers walking and singing around the main restaurant and probably the best night I have ever had on a cruise ship "Howl at the Moon".  The new one landing in January also has a full scale musical taking place.  WOw Wow Wow

P&O Oriana had a ventriloquist on thier last one, a young guy who had been on Britains got talent and he was refreshingly different, really enjoyed it, made a difference to the 'normal' shows and the older comedians. Even to a older crowd he had everyone laughing. The normal shows have started wearing a bit thin, especially with the amount of mistakes they made, true they were a new group but they spent all of thier time round the pool instead of rehersing!

richardh likes this

Problem any cruise line has with 2000+ passenegrs on ships it is very hard to please everyone at the same time and must be very hard to organise and think many cruisers expectations are a bit high expecting stars of high quality but most cruise lines cannot afford top stars prices.

I agree with hturtle, if you're looking for something different and a cruise line that puts a lot of thought into entertainment, then you should definitely consider NCL.  Yes like hturtle said they are a very different cruise line to Crytal but their meant to be, they have different philosophys on cruising but certainly worth a go.  Royal Caribbean are often excellent for entertainment as well.

.....................................................................................................................

What type of shows would you like to see presented on cruise ships in the future or do you like the existing shows?

I like the existing shows. I love the singing and the agility of the dancers and the live bands. (Some productions are better than others but I think all the artists are extremely talented and a pleasure to watch. Long may they continue.

I remember seeing cirque du soleil on a Celebrity ship. It was very entertaining - for a while. Cut the performance in half and would have been fine.

I never go to see a magician or juggler. Seen one - seen them all. (Thankfully they seem to be few and far between these days.)

I love going to the theatre after dinner. A lovely part of my cruising routine.

cheers

Harvey

ron likes this

I like the existing shows. I love the singing and the agility of the dancers and the live bands. (Some productions are better than others but I think all the artists are extremely talented and a pleasure to watch. Long may they continue.

I remember seeing cirque du soleil on a Celebrity ship. It was very entertaining - for a while. Cut the performance in half and would have been fine.

I never go to see a magician or juggler. Seen one - seen them all. (Thankfully they seem to be few and far between these days.)

I love going to the theatre after dinner. A lovely part of my cruising routine.

cheers

Harvey

Certainly with you on the magicians and jugglers Harvey.

It's a funny old world, my wife and I seem to enjoy everything and, if we have seen the odd show or two well there is always something different going on, particularly on Cunard.

Certainly with you on the magicians and jugglers Harvey.

It's a funny old world, my wife and I seem to enjoy everything and, if we have seen the odd show or two well there is always something different going on, particularly on Cunard.

Quite correct Richard. I've never been stuck on what to do of an evening.

One gripe I have - on recent P&O cruises I found that most of the day-time lectures were given by staff from the Spa spouting forth about various health regimes (colonic irrigation etc.) - for which they have the expensive answer. Cunard speakers, whilst always being first class, are far superior to what P&O offer these days. It's not a claim I would have made a few years ago as P&O used to have excellent speakers.

cheers

Harvey

janetemp likes this

I agree about the P&O speakers over the last couple or so years. The Concord talks (interesting first time) must have appeared as often as songs from "Phantom of the Opera"

ron likes this

Re PipPip reply

P&O Oriana had a ventriloquist on thier last one, a young guy who had been on Britains got talent and he was refreshingly different, really enjoyed it, made a difference to the 'normal' shows and the older comedians. Even to a older crowd he had everyone laughing. The normal shows have started wearing a bit thin, especially with the amount of mistakes they made, true they were a new group but they spent all of thier time round the pool instead of rehersing!

Oh yes we saw him on The Aurora s few weeks ago, he was very good, particularly in his second show!

Word must have got round ship how good he was and for the second show the theatre was packed to the rafters. He was brilliant, particularly the singing Turtle, my wife was crying with laughter!!!

Even dare I say it 'the older' (and mind I am getting there) proportion of the guests were laughing all the way!!!

Would highly recommend a watch if you come across him!

Furby likes this

I know this might be pie in the sky but I would like to know which entertainers will be on the ship before the start of my cruise.

We came across the  vocal duo Protocol on a P & O cruise (Oceana) about a year ago and would enjoy seeing and listening to them again, but it doesn't seem possible to find out where and when they will be appearing in the future. Unfortunately I can find no list of their engagements from the internet.

I know this might be pie in the sky but I would like to know which entertainers will be on the ship before the start of my cruise.

We came across the  vocal duo Protocol on a P & O cruise (Oceana) about a year ago and would enjoy seeing and listening to them again, but it doesn't seem possible to find out where and when they will be appearing in the future. Unfortunately I can find no list of their engagements from the internet.

Now that's actually quite interesting. Would you really select a cruise based on which entertainers were on-board over the itinerary or ship?

cheers

Harvey

Sorry for the delay in replying, Harvey, we have just returned from Australia where we have been visiting family, though not on a cruise ship!.

No we would not chose entertainers over itinerarary, but if other cruise lines were offering similar itineries at the time we wanted to travel, then the type of enterainment and artistes might play a part in deciding which ship and cruise line to choose. Of course there would also be the usual factors to consider  -  cost, starting/ending port, size of ship, etc

We were recently on the Ventura. They had an act on called "The Opera Boys" and they were really good and very popular.  The lectures were absolutely dire, so boring and dry as dust. On the Queen Victoria they had an ex film critic and he was really interesting. On the same cruise they had the author PD James and writing competitions which were good fun. I went along to the art lectures and they were very interesting.

Just come back from a Caribbean Cruise on Azura. How often does the entertainment change. We saw the same shows last year, we had the same guest speaker, the same ventriloquist, the same comedian, granted it was the same fortnight and the same ship, but that alone should tell you something, who chooses the Entertainment anyway. With regard to the ventriloquist, he was excellent filling the theatre both nights, but, should people have been sitting on the stairs and standing at the side of the theatre or would it have been wiser to have put on 3 shows, there would have been more satisfied customers if talk around the ship was to go by. It doesn't take a genius. 

Chris J likes this

to answer your first question the Headliners shows cost about £80.000 / £100.000  to produce so they have to get there monies worth out of them P&O change there shows more regular than most other cruise lines.

in answer to your second point there are only so many hours in an evening, performers only have so much energy and need to rest like everybody else I hope this goes someway to help. ;) Ron

Until this cruise we hadn't seen a repeat of anything, I may sound as if I'm twittering which I don't mean to do as we have booked again for next year, when the problem should be solved because everyone will be performing on Britania. I take your point about artists needing a rest like everyone else. 

according to entertainment director each P&O ship has a different programme which they endeavour to change every eight months or so. please don't worry about twittering we all do that at times that is why we ask questions to clarify things ;) Ron

I don't think they advertise the entertainment so you don't really know what you are going to get until you get on the ship… or am I wrong?   I know you have the strictly cruise or Michael Ball type ones but the other ones that are generally out of the main circuit you don't. It would be a bit extreme to book a cruise just because someone that used to be in the limelight was on it.

Just my view…

We saw the Britains Got Talent ventriloquist and yes, he was good.

Our recent cruise hit a high note with tribute acts. There was an excellent Dusty Springfield, Gary Barlow, Phil Collins and Elton John.

Best of all were 4 young lads called '4Tunes' who were superb.

Victor 'I think I am David Beckham' was ok but not as good as he  thought he was.

Furby likes this

We were on the Azura last September and totally agree that they need to put on 3 shows in the theatre. We sat on the stairs on numerous occasions for the 8.30pm. People were going without their desserts and coffees to get there before it was full.

On one occasion when we arrived 15 minutes before the show there were boards outside saying full up. The Cruise Director was standing nearby and I commented on how disappointing the situation was, but he just smiled and said,' Well, you can always come to the next performance.'

Well, I was not impressed with his attitude. I'm afraid I don't wish to attend shows which begin at 10.30pm and I'm sure there are many cruisers like myself and the other five members of my family who are not night owls.

This theatre is not large enough to accommodate the huge numbers of passengers which the Azura is supposed to cater for in just two sittings.

Sorry. This should have had a quote but I'm a beginner at this and must have done it wrong. It was a response to a comment on the previous page.

We were on the Azura last September and totally agree that they need to put on 3 shows in the theatre. We sat on the stairs on numerous occasions for the 8.30pm. People were going without their desserts and coffees to get there before it was full.

On one occasion when we arrived 15 minutes before the show there were boards outside saying full up. The Cruise Director was standing nearby and I commented on how disappointing the situation was, but he just smiled and said,' Well, you can always come to the next performance.'

Well, I was not impressed with his attitude. I'm afraid I don't wish to attend shows which begin at 10.30pm and I'm sure there are many cruisers like myself and the other five members of my family who are not night owls.

This theatre is not large enough to accommodate the huge numbers of passengers which the Azura is supposed to cater for in just two sittings.

Hi Chris.

That's interesting. When i was on Azura September 2012 the production shows were being staged 3 times a night.

Some, though not all, guest entertainers did their two shows and then gave an additional 'cabaret' style gig in the Malabar.

That was a really great routine.

Now that's interesting, Richard. Some people who had cruised on the Azura before mentioned that and the conclusion seemed to be that they were cutting back on entertainment, among other things, because of the economic crisis and reduction in fares etc. Having said that, I certainly didn't notice a shortage of passengers.