Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Theme Nights: Love Them Or Loathe Them?

21 posts in this topic

Hi  Many cruise lines have theme nights where passengers are encouraged to dress up in the appropriate attire (eg 70's Nights, Pirates etc).  I must confess I do not like theme nights and would never dress up in these styles,  while other passengers enjoy these events.  On Black and White theme nights I have conformed to the dress code but I would have worn a DJ anyway.  Do you like theme nights and do you think that those who don't (myself included) are miserable killjoys?

I like the tropical nights and wear black and white on black and white nights but other than that I dont do them. It can be fun seeing those that do dress up for the 60s/70s and having a giggle at them :D

The only 'theme' I indulge is the Black & White night. I wear a black bow tie rather a coloured one. (Boring old 'art that I am! ;) )

cheers

Harvey

For me you cannot beat a tropical party top deck on oceana watching the show sipping a pina colada and wearing a hawaiian shirt and flowers. Its not the coolest look I know but it makes the night memorable

I like it - I would love to have the courage to do so.

I love themed nights! I will dress up for most of them as it is really good fun. As I would usually cruise on Cunard I really enjoy their themed nights. Also I usually do a full world cruise or world segments. This when you get some really good themed balls to dress up for.

I go all out and have things made and I spend time in advance getting my look together, right down to the hair and make up.

I was on Arcadia world cruise this year disappointing to say the least, but they did do some fun sail a way parties which I also dessed up for in silly fun outfits. See my avatar!

P&O do not do real themed nights. They did tropical night where men wore flowered shirts hung over the big bellies making the flowers look like triffids! Not a good look!

They did 60's night and quite a few made the effort. I had a mini dressed made out of original OP ART print fabric.

They did 70's night.

These were held out on deck and were not always well attended.The daftest thing they did was put on Country and Western night , jeans checked shirts etc when we were in the tropics. Madness!

I would never dress up up for a C/ W night. Not my scene, just not glam enough for me.

On Cunard the theme nights are geared more to glamorous! Starlight Ball where you are meant to be movie stars going to the Oscars, Royal Ascot ball were you dress for races in big hats and men can wear top hats.

Many people are not into dressing up as they feel less confident and also will say they have to travel with luggage etc. I don't go for that! I live overseas and always have to fly to board the ship.

The people that do make an effort certainly have a lot of fun. It is a good laugh, and it is really nice when you have made the effort and people admire you for doing so. Plus I always find the crew just love it when they see you have dressed for the theme night.

I also must add my other half also dresses in theme where possible. For Cunard Starlight ball he wears white tie and tails. He will wear his top hat and morning suit for the races. So yes, it is fun. Go for it!

black and white and tropical are our limits, but i have noticed increasing numbers of people don't even bother with these now. less than half the men wore bright shirts on tropical night and most women just dressed as normal. On black and white night a few years ago everyone wore black and white- now only about 80% . 

P & O do still hand out garlands on tropical nights but when I first started cruising the waiters used to wear tropical shirts at dinner and it was more of an event. Nowadays it seems a bit flat. Just my observation.

ron likes this

Not interested in the theme nights except for black and white night but that's a formal night anyway.  Maybe cruise lines should run a poll to see how people feel about theme nights. 

Not interested in the theme nights except for black and white night but that's a formal night anyway.  Maybe cruise lines should run a poll to see how people feel about theme nights. 

People vote by participating or not in a theme night. I don't think it detracts from the evening if some passengers do participate albeit the vast majority of passengers don't.

The only nights my husband and I join in, are the black and white night, and the tropical night. Well, my husband wears a Caribbean shirt on tropical nights, I simply wear the most colourful blouse I have. I should get something more tropical, perhaps on our next cruise which is to the Caribbean. :D

I used to. At one time on P & O even the waiters wore tropical shirts on tropical nights but not anymore…. It used to get everyone into the spirit but now they have stopped I don't bother as much. To be honest, If the clothing I have for evening wear isn't good enough then its just one of those things. To be honest I buy clothes that are going to be worn, not put away until the next cruise….  ;)

what ever keeps people happy, everyone is on holiday so enjoy it in your own way. ;) Ron

Hear Hear Ron. However, I would add one caveat to your statement: "As long as they adhere to the dress code of the evening".

cheers

Harvey

ron likes this

I always remember my parents on a cruise down the Nile, where everyone dressed up for an Egyptian evening (must have taken a lot of thought) but they wore outfits that were available on the ship and people just went and chose what they wanted to wear.   From what we were told, no-one even gave it a thought that the same outfits had been worn by others - they just went and chose their kaftan and their headgear and, from looking at the photographs, everyone had a fantastic evening and certainly my parents didn't suffer from wearing their outfits - they loved it.

How times have changed - most of us can't be bothered - and even if stuff to dress up in was available - we would worry about what we might 'catch' from it.   Somehow, somewhere, the world we live in has changed - and not always for the better.

My personal hate is the carribean night, dont mind the dressing up in the bright coloured shirt etc, but the food in the resurant Ba humbug, i eat elswhere, i mean, bananas wrapped in bacon WHAT!!!!

My personal hate is the carribean night, dont mind the dressing up in the bright coloured shirt etc, but the food in the resurant Ba humbug, i eat elswhere, i mean, bananas wrapped in bacon WHAT!!!!

Whilst there may be a caribbean dish on the menu there are always plenty of 'western' dishes too. 

ron likes this