Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CruiseGeek

Where do you get your travel insurance when cruising?

65 posts in this topic

We always seem to use different travel insurance companies when booking travel insurance. Can anybody recommend a good provider and are there any benefits if you stick with the same company?

Thanks

X

daniel2306 likes this

I always get travel insurance through Holiday Extras. They are an online and well established company. Not sure if they are the cheapest but if you're booking family insurance any under 18's go free. They offer annual or single trip insurance, if you travel more than 3 times a year, annual is obviously more cost effective. They also provide other services such as parking, hotels, vip lounges etc.

Never heard of them. I usually go on Confused.com and just get the cheapest available, prices vary each time, thats why we always use a different company.

Any more recommendations? Thanks

X

I always use Holiday Extras, they cover cruising at no extra cost. My friend had an accident a few years ago whilst on holiday and was covered by Holiday Extra's, they were brilliant and flew then home first class!!

Mostly do it through the bank but like others have advised as well, i've also used holiday extars a few times and insure and go for specific cruise cover.  Direct travel were good when i last used them and flexicover as well.  Cant say i know much about many other companies now as i've used the bank for so long now but based on what people are saying here it seems holday extras and insure and go seem to be good ones to use.

Beware those that do it through their bank. My son has just had a horrendous experience.

Like all insurance companies they are quite happy to take your money but will fight tooth and nail to minimise their pay out's

David

RobBar likes this

I have used insure and go and staysure, both for cruises but fortunately we have never had to make a claim so can't comment on what they are like if things go wrong.

I am going on a cruise soon and was put directly through to the Insurance company on the same call. There was no pressure and the rates were very reasonable. I have no idea who the insurance is with so have just checked and it's holiday extras so I think from your comments i'm in good hands.

I think Bolsover cruise club now has this facility

merle.rowbotham likes this

Having had an annual worldwide policy for many years my company sent the renewal as normal. They failed to mention that because I had reached the age of 65 they had changed the cover to European, not a lot of use as we had booked a cruise starting in Canada and then going to China via Alaska, Japan, Russia and South Korea. The most annoying thing was that there had been absolutely no notification and it was pure fluke that I noticed.

As a diabetic with high blood pressure and cholesterol I then had to start looking around for a new provider. Having had quotes of between £200 and £900 I found the M&S Premier credit card which covered us worldwide with many health exclusions, including all mine, for £15 per month (i.e.£180 per year) with several other benefits as well.

For the first time ever after the cruise mentioned above, my wife had been taken ill so we had to claim. The claim process was very efficient and they paid out promptly with the minimum of fuss..

On subsequent cruises we have found many passengers who used this method and I would recommend that anyone looking for travel insurance investigate this possibility

I have been with Lloyds Bank for 10 years and find them ok. The cover is Worldwide and covers myself and my wife until we are 80 years old. The payment is part of the account fee of 17 pounds per month which is a lot cheaper than paying per holiday. I have made two claims which included a full cancellation due to illness and a broken toe incurred by my wife in Spain. Both claims were handled very quickly and the amount paid into the bank account directly without any chasing required

My only added expense was for a WOPLD CRUISE which needed a further 36 pounds to cover the 105 days of the cruise

ron and Cruiseada like this

For years we were insured with Direct travel. On holiday in Cyprus about eight years ago I ended up in hospital and had to have a small operation. My husband rang them, they spoke to the hospital receptionist and settled the bill, minus the £25 excess, immediately. All it cost me was the policy excess. The only reason we changed companies is that we now get free annual insurance with Nationwide. Just have to pay a bit more for worldwide cover as they give Europe as standard. Have not had to claim so can't comment o their service.

AS we are both over 65 we use Saga. Not the cheapest but they do cover all our medical conditions and unlike some insurance companies cover you for cruise upo to 45 days. Which is always enough for us. Unfortunately as you get old the premiums rise but then so do the risks. 

Cruiseada likes this

My Advantage Gold current account with NATWEST charges £12 a month but includes worldwide annual travel insurance and a nunber of other benefits (including Green Flag cover for my car, mobile phone insurance and extended insurance on electrical purchases) at no extra cost.  Well worth it.

As with most insurance it depends upon what you decide to declare, but if you miss something that you later rely on in submittiing a claim it gives them an excuse to wriggle out of payin up.  Age goes against you after 75 with a lot of firms as does the health problems you have had in the past even when controlled for years by tablets. It's a bind but there is only one way to get a reasonable quote and that is to shop around if you have the time,

RobBar likes this

If your disabled (as I am, wheelchair user) we use a company called Mediquote Ltd, they cover pre-existing conditions as well, mine is MS they are extremely reasonable cover both myself and my wife. Used them for years!

rochesterhouse likes this

There was a report a few years ago - I think it was Which but I couldn't find it this morning - which looked at holiday insurance, and particularly the mass--underwritten policies as offered by banks (and credit cards etc).

What they found was that for most 'routine' claims (cancellations, minor illness/injuries abroad etc) these policies were fine, but where they were deficient was in the high-value serious illness/injury cover. This is because past a certain financial threshold loss-adjusters focus much more closely on detail, and it's really not unusual to find some undisclosed condition/concern that can be used to deny all or part of the claim.

The key to it all is disclosure++. The problem is that if you do disclose everything, very often cover will be withdrawn anyway. Beware these policies, they can give an entirely false sense of security.

I used to insure religiously with Saga, Annual Worldwide, Motors, Home - lock stock and barrel you may say.

I do believe in loyalty and mine was extended to them particularly after they replaced 'New' a B&O Television that was then 5 years old without any quibble.

Another reason for sticking with Saga was that in our Worldwide Annual cover I was also covered for my Scuba Diving hobby.

Then, some years ago, I noticed their premiums beginning to creep above what I considered either the norm or sustainable. This was immediately after the 'privately owned Saga was bought out by Acromas - the new  private equity owners.

So now I shop around. Still for Annual Worldwide and, for the last two years have insured with Travel Insurance Medical...

http://www.travelinsurancemedical.co.uk/quote

They have an ideal system whereby you can nominate an opt out of cover for any pre-existing conditions ( they allow 220 such conditions) which then automatically maintain a lower Premium.

This current year for full Worldwide Annual cover the premium was £163.79.

I think that premium, considering the level of travel undertaken by two of us.

There was a report a few years ago - I think it was Which but I couldn't find it this morning - which looked at holiday insurance, and particularly the mass--underwritten policies as offered by banks (and credit cards etc).

What they found was that for most 'routine' claims (cancellations, minor illness/injuries abroad etc) these policies were fine, but where they were deficient was in the high-value serious illness/injury cover. This is because past a certain financial threshold loss-adjusters focus much more closely on detail, and it's really not unusual to find some undisclosed condition/concern that can be used to deny all or part of the claim.

The key to it all is disclosure++. The problem is that if you do disclose everything, very often cover will be withdrawn anyway. Beware these policies, they can give an entirely false sense of security.

I read recently a case where someone 'disclosed' that he was considering travelling on a cruise that passed through the Suez Canal.

Nothing of course to do with the 'disclosure' that you mention Shipshape but it made me wonder what the purpose was.

After all, how many times do cruises, particularly UK based World Cruises, pass through the Suez canal?