Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

charlielou

Pre Paid Gratuities

6 posts in this topic

I have noticed that more cruise lines are going down the line of adding gratuities to the cost of the cruise.  Does anyone know if this actually gets through to the staff or is it still better to tip the staff in person.  I have pre paid once before but couldn't help feeling a little guilty not handing over anything.  The staff work so hard on the ships and I wouldn't like to think they are disadvantaged in any way. 

I have noticed that more cruise lines are going down the line of adding gratuities to the cost of the cruise.  Does anyone know if this actually gets through to the staff or is it still better to tip the staff in person.  I have pre paid once before but couldn't help feeling a little guilty not handing over anything.  The staff work so hard on the ships and I wouldn't like to think they are disadvantaged in any way. 

I think we have to assume that the gratuities get through to the staff.  In principle it's the best way of doing gratuities (as a service charge) because it can be distributed to those who you don't actually meet too but who have worked behind the scenes to make your cruise great.

If you've received exceptional service and want to reward that over and above, there's nothing wrong with that (I often add a dollar to my drinks order if the service has been exceptionally friendly, even though 15% is included).

I know there were some rumours that P&O withheld gratuities from staff who were not rated excellent.  I feel we'd have heard more about it if it was true.  I do feel that cruise lines should publish details on exactly who gets what and under what circumstances these can be withheld (if at all).  I feel it would make cruisers much more comfortable with a system that is actually much fairer and straightforward.

I think we have to assume that the gratuities get through to the staff.  In principle it's the best way of doing gratuities (as a service charge) because it can be distributed to those who you don't actually meet too but who have worked behind the scenes to make your cruise great.

If you've received exceptional service and want to reward that over and above, there's nothing wrong with that (I often add a dollar to my drinks order if the service has been exceptionally friendly, even though 15% is included).

I know there were some rumours that P&O withheld gratuities from staff who were not rated excellent.  I feel we'd have heard more about it if it was true.  I do feel that cruise lines should publish details on exactly who gets what and under what circumstances these can be withheld (if at all).  I feel it would make cruisers much more comfortable with a system that is actually much fairer and straightforward.

Good morning Duncan.

'I know there were some rumours that P&O withheld gratuities from staff who were not rated excellent.  I feel we'd have heard more about it if it was true'.

I'm in total agreement with you, - just rumours!

Its one of those 'I heard a comment' favoured by many who write on cruise forums and seek a reason to excuse themselves from paying gratuities.

Kind of a 'I have a clear conscience' mentality.

G

On the subject of Pre-Paid gratuities Thomson have been operating the system for God knows how long.

But because their prices are generally so low anyway the gratuity element is conveniently never noticed by Thomson fans.

The fact remains that they are paid in advance.