Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CruiseGeek

Are short cruises really full of hen and stag parties?

39 posts in this topic

Hi all

I've been looking at a short cruise break on Oceana towards the end of the year. We sailed on this ship a few years back and really enjoyed it. Never done a short cruise, only 7 nights and above, so this will be the first.

I've read many horror stories that these short cruises can get very rowdy with hen and stag parties and also that you are not looked after as well as you would be on a longer cruise. Is this information correct? Should we avoid a short cruise like the plague?

X

Not sure as I've never done a short cruise but I have read similar stories. I'd have thought that the majority of stag and hen parties would be during summer months, you may be ok from September onwards?

short cruises towards the end year  are a mix of age and clientelle , alot of people go on these for the christmas markets , i have travelled on a couple of short breaks both on queen mary2 and arcadia , yes you can get a large percentage drinking and enjoying the evening entertainment but you can still choose to  reside in the more low key bars and lounges . x

Did Christmas markets cruise about three years ago and there were no stag/hen parties on board. The service was also great, the usual P&O standard.

J

I've done short 'party' cruises on both Oceana & Queen Mary. 

I found it to be a big mix of people but not really full of hen/stag.  People are only on the ship for a few days so want to make the most of their time on there.  The Disco was full everynight & there was a really lovely feel of fun around the ship. 

I found a lot of families travelling with different generations, Kids, Parents & Grandparents.  Don't be put off x

i did a 2 night cruise last december on azura, really good, definately wasnt full of hen or stag do's but really good experience to get a taste of cruising

i have sailed on a 3 night 'party cruise' on the arcadia in december. i found it very entertaining and did not see any groups of noisy hen/stags. The atmosphere onboard was fantastic and there were people of all ages from early 20's upwards to 70+ yrs! The entertainment catered for all tastes - so if you wanted a more quieter evening there was the choice there for you :)

i was recently on a 2 night cruise on the Ventura and there were a few hen/stag parties on board. The first night was quite rowdy but no problems and everyone seemed well behaved! by the 2nd night on the formal evening you wouldn't know it was a 'party cruise' as the service, entertainment and food was excellent, definatly the normal p&o standards i was used to.

It's not all Stag & Hen parties, dependant on time of year it can be quite a mix of age ranges, during the warmer months is often family groups celebrating a special occasion

and more recently "Weddings at Sea" the latter very tastefully done, with everyone making an effort to dress up and enjoy the formal nights. Winter bring the opportunity of Christmas Markets cruises, again attracting a wide and diverse group.

We've been fortunate enough to enjoy several mini cruises of varying lengths - 2, 3, 4 & 5 nights at different times of the year including Cunard, all three Queen's, Grand & Royal Princess, Celebrity Eclipse and Fred Olsen on Boudicca. The latter cruise was as diverse as you could get across the age span although very enjoyable. 

We went on a 4 night mini cruise last November on QM2. Very impressed and would recommend. We didn't notice any rowdy people. The age group was varied though nothing for young children on that particular break.

Hi. Have been on a few 2 nighters with P & O. Seen a few " merry " people but mo one ever caused a problem for us.  Would thoroughly recommend for a short break. Have fun. Clare

Ive been on  few short cruises, one being part of a 'hen group' lin May and another in december last year on Oceana. These cruises attract such a huge variety of people, couples, singles, groups, families, first time cruises etc. Nothing has ever put me off, i never saw any large groups on the Christmas Market cruise, it was a lovely little cruise.

I've been on three weekend cruises albeit a few years back. Aurora, QE2 & NCL's Jade. They are very busy cruises with everyone wanting to make the most of their time on-board. Aurora and QE2 were certainly not full on booze cruises. Jade was lively but not unruly so.

As everyone will tell you - they are not typical of a longer cruise but still they give you a flavour of the cruise line. For instance, I decided that NCL wasn't for me.

cheers

Harvey

Have done 3 short cruises now and yes there are the odd hen/stag parties on-board but it was not rowdy it just had a nice happy atmosphere. I think it is a great way to have a few days away and a chance to get some Xmas shopping. It is just the same as any other P&O cruise with the same standards.

I have travelled alone on 2 Christmas market cruises with P & O.

thoroughly enjoyed them and had no probs.

looked after just as well as on a longer cruise.

Am looking forward to my 4 night cruise aboard Oriana next week.

Have done quite a few short cruises with p&o. Have never had any trouble with hen/stag dos - (and there have been some on board). Everyone has been there to just enjoy the cruise. The only problem was they have been too short and we had to get off! We took the family - kids and grand kids to give them a taste of what cruising is about - and they loved it. The best was Azura. Only one was disappointing - a 4 nighter -with our waiter - who had a real problem - but we didn't let it spoil the cruise . Go for it

Having done several short cruises I would say yes they do attract hen/stag parties. Most people organising these events and I have arranged one recently look for something different that most of the participants haven't done before and a short cruise falls into that category. No flying, no waiting at airports adds to the attraction. Hen/stag groups are not all over the top drunkards but rather people out to have a good time and celebrate. They have never spoilt a cruise for me.

kerry304 likes this

We went on 5 nighter on Ventura in Oct last year. We had read the terrible reviews about Butlins at sea with stag and hen do's......we had a wonderful time with no rowdy, drunken behaviour at all. Even though it's a huge ship there are still quiet areas to sit and watch the world go by!!

I've been on three weekend cruises albeit a few years back. Aurora, QE2 & NCL's Jade. They are very busy cruises with everyone wanting to make the most of their time on-board. Aurora and QE2 were certainly not full on booze cruises. Jade was lively but not unruly so.

As everyone will tell you - they are not typical of a longer cruise but still they give you a flavour of the cruise line. For instance, I decided that NCL wasn't for me.

cheers

Harvey

Very fair comment Harvey.

We too have been on a number now and booked them for one purpose only - a short break.

You are so correct, they are very busy and many passengers want to experience as much as possible. That's why I would never recommend one to anyone who remotely thinks that they are going to get the 'full' experience of say something like Cunard.

Of course the bars and entertainment areas are going to get busy. These passengers haven't spent a fortune on the fare and have a little more cash to spend.

Never had a bad one or one where my enjoyment was spoilt by alcohol fuelled passengers.

Just go and enjoy.

Harvey likes this