Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ahoy

Celebrity Drinks Packages?

15 posts in this topic

im thinking about going on celebrity reflection next year, im thinking about buying a drinks package for me and my partner, would we have to have one each or can one of us just get one??? i know they are a bit expensive and didnt know if i could do this???

It's one per person drinking. It's verified by your cruise card whenever you get a drink. Keep an eye out for Celebrity promotions at certain times - we've done 2 cruises where we each received a free drinks package. Don't know if Celebrity might be doing something similar again.

Celebrity are starting their 123Go offers again tomorrow, 29th Nov. Options last time were free drinks package, free gratuities or onboard spend.

Drinks Packages simply don't make sense!

Now I am no tea-totaller by any means but on a number of occassions, I have looked into this idea and it never seems to make any sense to me because when I add up what I spend on wine, drinks and alcoholic beverages of various kinds, the packages always seem more expensive than what I paid.

If like me, you are a member of a group travelling together, one or two members in the group having packages really complicates the question "who buys the drinks tonight?" because you can only have drinks for yourself on your package and you have to pay for theirs; likewise, if one of them buys you a drink, it's a waste of money because you could have had it "for free" (so to speak) on your package.

Also, if you check the small print, even on the top level package, not everything is included (there are always certain "premium" exceptions) so you still end up with a bar bill!

Lastly, just ask yourself this; "Why do you always get acosted at check-in, trying to sell you these packages?" Answer - "Because Celebrity make more money out of the packages than you think"  They are not doing this to save you money, you know!

All passengers in the cabin must buy the drinks package, can't share it!

Very easy to justify when you add up what you can typically have and it's not just alcoholic drinks

Fresh orange juice at breakfast

Speciality coffees throughout the day instead of the standard issue

Bottled water for cabin and going ashore

All soft drinks

Wine or beers at lunch and dinner

A nice liqueur with coffee after dinner

The odd beer or spirit during the day or an aperitif before dinner

Once you have the drinks package you can certainly get the full value although I am not suggesting that the whole cruise should be spent in a haze!

I agree that Celebrity promote it because they make money but if you buy the package it's a lot cheaper than paying the on board prices for even a moderate usage.

All passengers in the cabin must buy the drinks package, can't share it!

Very easy to justify when you add up what you can typically have and it's not just alcoholic drinks

All passengers in a cabin do not have to buy the package.  However, if you select the package as a "free" benefit, both passengers have to select it.  You cannot share a package - you will only be served one drink at a time, so if you want two drinks you have to present two cards.

I really can't see the problem with drinks in a group.  Surely those with the package would just order their own drinks and those without could participate in buying rounds.  This is how we have done it with our friends - we would never buy a package, but did have one as a benefit once when the price with the package was only $100 more than the price without.

Drinks Packages simply don't make sense!

Now I am no tea-totaller by any means but on a number of occassions, I have looked into this idea and it never seems to make any sense to me because when I add up what I spend on wine, drinks and alcoholic beverages of various kinds, the packages always seem more expensive than what I paid.

If like me, you are a member of a group travelling together, one or two members in the group having packages really complicates the question "who buys the drinks tonight?" because you can only have drinks for yourself on your package and you have to pay for theirs; likewise, if one of them buys you a drink, it's a waste of money because you could have had it "for free" (so to speak) on your package.

Also, if you check the small print, even on the top level package, not everything is included (there are always certain "premium" exceptions) so you still end up with a bar bill!

Lastly, just ask yourself this; "Why do you always get acosted at check-in, trying to sell you these packages?" Answer - "Because Celebrity make more money out of the packages than you think"  They are not doing this to save you money, you know!

Good morning Captain Martini.

Just to say that my wife and I had the opposite experience on a 16 night Celebrity Eclipse cruise Southampton to the Mediterranean and return.

We calculated that we broke even on Day 10 and that was with the Premium alcohol package.

I'll let you know how I get on this week as you have probably noted that I join Eclipse again today and advance purchased the same package...

17936905185_b48a9cdd98_z.jpg

and the 'standard' price Celebrity claim for purchases onboard...

17910511906_dee4a11294_z.jpg

That's an $8 a day saving by purchasing in advance. 

Of course, with so many bolt on offers coming from Celebrity it may be to the individuals advantage to take the 'classic' for free and pay for the upgrade.

harley1 likes this

I've been asked by a member what is included in the 'Select' package.

Unfortunately any description of what it offered was not available while i was recently onboard.

This is what was offered onboard...

18077511962_111b86d1af_z.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on what a 'Select' package offers?

The arrow only indicates the package I purchased.

harley1 and tigerlilly like this

I've been asked by a member what is included in the 'Select' package.

Unfortunately any description of what it offered was not available while i was recently onboard.

This is what was offered onboard...

18077511962_111b86d1af_z.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on what a 'Select' package offers?

The arrow only indicates the package I purchased.

Hi SR,

Not sure what you mean by "Select" package. My wife and I were on Millennium with 2 friends in March and we all had the Classic Drinks Package included in the deal as part of Celebrity's 1-2-3-Go offering. Our friends were happy to stick with the Classic package but, as my wife and I prefer sparkling mineral water and wanted a little more choice in both wines and beers, I upgraded to the Premium Package once on board. This worked very well as the mineral water (San Pellegrino) was served in litre bottles, which we shared at mealtimes, or obtained from the bars for drinking in our cabin. I appreciated the better quality beers available to me and occasionally "treated" my wife to a more expensive wine, whilst I "slummed it" on her card.

Hopefully folks I can help with this as I have been able to obtain what is included:-

10% off wines by the bottle

Selected Frozen Drinks and cocktails upto $7

Bottled Water

House collection of popular wines such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot Pinot Noir & other red blends

Selected Beers (Budweiser,Coors Light, Bud Light Heineken & Amstel

Fountain Soda

& I though this was odd but they advised Well Brand(i think they meant branded) Spirits (Vodka,Gin Blend Whisky White Rum & Silver Tequila)

I think that was it !!!!

With the current offer you get select package with outsides and classic with balconies then it went up to premium the higher you go in cabin grade. The select package is a new one that's not even detailed on their website! Wonder what well brand is?!

Hi SR,

Not sure what you mean by "Select" package. My wife and I were on Millennium with 2 friends in March and we all had the Classic Drinks Package included in the deal as part of Celebrity's 1-2-3-Go offering. Our friends were happy to stick with the Classic package but, as my wife and I prefer sparkling mineral water and wanted a little more choice in both wines and beers, I upgraded to the Premium Package once on board. This worked very well as the mineral water (San Pellegrino) was served in litre bottles, which we shared at mealtimes, or obtained from the bars for drinking in our cabin. I appreciated the better quality beers available to me and occasionally "treated" my wife to a more expensive wine, whilst I "slummed it" on her card.

With the current offer you get select package with outsides and classic with balconies then it went up to premium the higher you go in cabin grade. The select package is a new one that's not even detailed on their website! Wonder what well brand is?!

You answer David.

Hi Tigerlilly. It must be really new, it didn't get a mention when I boarded on 25 may.

But never look a gift horse in the mouth. My advice would be to do a quick research when on board and if necessary a quicker upgrade - there are plenty of staff pushing upgrades to drinks packages.

I have posted on this topic before and it continues to be a hot topic for disagreement!

We recently had the rare opportunity of an upgrade in June, following the introduction of the new "suite-class" concept and Luminae Restaurant (a seperate review for which I have posted elsewhere with an album of photos). However, one of the main advantages of our upgrade was that it came with a Premium Drinks Package. As it was effectively "free", I must say that it was brilliant - it covers liqueur coffees, AquaSpa special items, Martinis in the Martini Bar and all soft and alcoholic drinks up to $15 per drink, plus you can get 20% discount on any bottle of wine, if you really feel the need to buy one, which we didn't because you can have as many glasses as you like from what is a pretty extensive list of wines by-the-glass. There was only one night when we chose a wine that was $16 and we had to pay $3 each - which was a lot cheaper than buying the bottle!

However, I calculated that if we had paid the full price for the Premium Drinks Package on our 14-night cruise, it would have cost us near enough $750 each. If we had paid for every single drink ourselves, our "bill" would have been about $300-350. We drink heartily on holiday, I can assure you, but not in 53 cruises with Celebrity has our drinks bill ever been more than about $250-300 per person and even with a "free bar", it wouldn't have been much more!

Also, in calculating this sort of thing, you have to remember that you are not even on board half of the time. You are often away on tours or exploring ashore and the amount of "drinking time" on board is more limited on port days than on sea days, when you are sitting around looking for things to do!

The Classic Drinks package, unless its "free", isn't worth it either because there are too many things not included that we would end up paying full price for and the upper limit for each drink is lower too (I'm not sure what it is but it's a lot less than $15, so many of the usual wines and Martinis fall outside the price range).

In summary - just ask yourself why they push the marketing of these drinks packages so hard at check-in, as well as on board. They are not in the business to do you any favours; they are in it to make money and drinks packages make money, lots of it!

34475-profile.png

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I have just returned from Celebrity Reflection.  We have always thought the drinks packages expensive for moderate drinkers. However this year it was part of the deal (I won't say free) and found it very useful. It was the classic package but found it met all our needs. Fresh orange juice, soft drinks, bottled water, beer, plus wine every evening and shorts.  Instead of a $500 drinks bill, we have nothing to pay on our return as we stuck to what was on offer. It really was not a problem, plus we did think they would be quite tight with the drinks, particularly wine in the restaurant, but no.  If they were a little slow topping up our glasses, we just asked and the quality customer service kicked in. My husband was even allowed two shorts in the same glass, which surprised us both. I don't think I would like to go on a cruise without it now, so the marketing strategy has worked!

DavidH likes this