Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

British Isles Crusing

23 posts in this topic

I am very lucky & travelled to a lot of European Ports, but I am embarrassed to admit I haven’t been to some of the gems our own coast can offer.  I have seen that a few companies now offer the British Isles, just wondered if anyone has done one of these & how they found the experience?

I like the look of the Fred Olsen lines as they do Tobermory as my little boy loves Ballamory plus I could stop in Dublin on the way back for a Guinness or 2 .  Kills two birds with one stone !!!

Waves,

The new P&O Britannia is going around the UK in July 2015.  Ports of call are:  Edinburgh, Invergorden, Kirkwall, Greenock, Liverpool, Dublin, Cobh, St Peters Port.

Princess were probably the first cruise company to do British Isles cruises, mainly for Americans. We have done 3 in recent years and always got good late deals they are currently doing 12nt cruises throughout the summer from £849 for 12nts and they are excellent cruises with good ports of calls.

At one time you could do a British Isles cruise and there was no single supplements, that was usually on Artemis. Nowadays I think they are very expensive for what they are. Just my view. 

I am lucky enough to have been to many of the British ports and the main problem is the weather. The ports themselves and surrounding areas have a great deal to offer. Scotland is particularly beautiful. The Western Isles and out lying islands. The lochs and the rolling hills are beautiful. If you get the opportunity and are not bothered by the weather then I would say do it and be surprised. For something really different try the Majestic Cruise Line of Scotland.  www.themajesticline.co.uk

At one time you could do a British Isles cruise and there was no single supplements, that was usually on Artemis. Nowadays I think they are very expensive for what they are. Just my view. 

A round UK cruise does seem expensive. I assume it's the port charges which push up the fares.

We have some elderly cruise friends who now use The British Isles cruises as a means of continuing to enjoy cruising as their Travel Insurance became too expensive for cruising outside of the UK .They have cruised for many years and didn't want to give up holidays they really enjoyed. Perhaps the cruise companies are aware of Insurance problems for elderly UK passengers and have noticed the demand..just a thought .

Yes but their quotes were cheaper for remaining in UK .

Most of the British Isles cruises call at Dublin or Cobh or similar ports in Ireland and some Le Havre France which either are not in the UK and would need European travel insurance cover.

Most of the British Isles cruises call at Dublin or Cobh or similar ports in Ireland and some Le Havre France which either are not in the UK and would need European travel insurance cover.

Hi Shilly 3191 Only know that our friends sail only with P & O for British Isles cruises & they negotiated with insurers to get cover & got it reduced because it was British Isles.

Hi Shilly 3191 Only know that our friends sail only with P & O for British Isles cruises & they negotiated with insurers to get cover & got it reduced because it was British Isles.

Did they tell them every port of call/country or did they just say it was a British Isles cruise with P&O which might give a false impression. Certainly the cruises we have done with Princess are advertised as British Isles cruises but call at Ireland and France which are not UK so wouldnt be covered. Its like everything we all know insurance companies will try their best not to pay out so they must be informed of every minor detail just in case.

Did they tell them every port of call/country or did they just say it was a British Isles cruise with P&O which might give a false impression. Certainly the cruises we have done with Princess are advertised as British Isles cruises but call at Ireland and France which are not UK so wouldnt be covered. Its like everything we all know insurance companies will try their best not to pay out so they must be informed of every minor detail just in case.

Hi Shilly 3191 that's a valid point will certainly advise them to check.

i asked when we did it  on Arcadia, and our then insurers said what we had was ok, that was just an eu insurance, but not with this company now as they hiked their prices to much.

We're going on a British Isles cruise in August on Celebrity Infinity. Looking forward to it as we have never been to Cork, Dublin, Belfast or Kirkwall. Price wasn't cheap, though. I guess the "free" drinks package isn't really free at all.

I am very lucky & travelled to a lot of European Ports, but I am embarrassed to admit I haven’t been to some of the gems our own coast can offer.  I have seen that a few companies now offer the British Isles, just wondered if anyone has done one of these & how they found the experience?

Good morning Riversong.

Cruises around the British Isles are certainly becoming more popular.

We did a 14 night cruise some years back and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The highlight though was sailing into my home town port and being allowed on the bridge for the experience.

Saga Rose.

Hello,My wife has been looking at round Britain cruises for later this year.

I agree they look to me to be very expensive and of course the weather factor must be taken into account.

The scenary though i suspect is awsome.I also beleive it is not unusual to have the cruises curtailed.

I was suprised to read an article from Solent Richard this early on a Monday morning,must be too wet for the allotment,but was not suprised to read that he had been privaliged to visit a bridge.

Rodger.

Princess currently £649 for cruise in May for 12nts around British Isles in inside cabin other dates at the moment are £799 but could come down great ports of call and can thoroughly recommend Princess and this cruise we have done it 3 times.

We are booked on Britannia for the 2015 cruise around the British Isles. We have been on Celebrity for the last 3 cruises, but their trip starts in Amsterdam so we have switched for next year,

We have a house in Filey and one of the attractions is that they "sail by" Flamborough so presumably we will get a good look at the Yorkshire coast.

I have a question for those who have done it before - does the ship stay close to the coast all the way round or does it go further out when between ports.