Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Blacks

Allowance Should Be Changed!

16 posts in this topic

Has anybody had difficulty in achieving the flight carrier baggage allowance going on say a 14 day or more cuisse?

I think these type of holidays should have an increased allowance if you’re going cruising, my wife says she is ‘going on a holiday, not a launderette experience’!!! :( 

DavidH and ron like this

Never had a problem and for ladies it is easier than for men as most female clothing weighs less than a mans, yes, even shoes. It is surprising how you can reduce the amount you need to take if you adopt the 'mix and match' approach. My wife always says the luggage allowance is insufficient and yet her case is never on the maximum. When we arrive home she has clothes she has never worn. Have a look at these articles.

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/blog/tips-on-packing-your-holiday-baggage/

http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=319&extras=false

I rest my case (excuse the pun).

ron, dst87 and AFC04/03 like this

Hi   I like OWT have never had any trouble exceeding airline weight restrictions, I agree witrh his premise that it all about what you pack (mix and match is this is the ideal solution as he states.  In addition I tend to try and wear any "heavy" clothing (ie heavy overcoat etc) on the ou/inward journey to avoid placing them in the weighed luggage.  PS  I also stopped using my heavy rigid Samsonite luggage and purchased some very lightweight Antler suitcases (a weight saving of 2.5Kg per case). 

ron likes this

We did our first fly/cruise in September,12 nights on Queen Elizabeth.Having allways cruised from Southampton with lots of luggage we were very concerned about the allowance.As it turned out our concerns were groundless.My wife visit the laundrette just the once.It turned out to be a most enjoyable experience as the ships oracle was in attendance with every anicdote known to mankind.What we learned from this experience was priceless.

Never had a problem I think it just saves you bring loads of stuff you never wear, I put some of my OH's things in mine as guys clothes are heavier and we think of what we actually need rather than throwing everything but the kitchen sink in. I roll my dresses which avoids creasing which is a good tip then pop them in the bathroom while I shower which saves ironing the odd crease which may have happened.

Like the others - didn't have a problem on my last 14 night fly cruise. I must admit that I was pretty near the limit but still managed to take DJ, Jacket, etc.

cheers

Harvey

If you do have a problem with weight limits you can always add an extra bag. I think within Europe it's £34 each way with BA; not sure about other airlines.

It's probably worth the extra if it makes your holiday.

I have been close to the limit (or just over but got away with it :P ) once or twice, but I am a serial over packer!

I think the allowances are pretty reasonable if I am honest, it is achievable with a bit of careful consideration - something I am clearly not capable of!

Falmouthgirl likes this

Has anybody had difficulty in achieving the flight carrier baggage allowance going on say a 14 day or more cuisse?

I think these type of holidays should have an increased allowance if you’re going cruising, my wife says she is ‘going on a holiday, not a launderette experience’!!! :( 

Good afternoon Water Wheels.

You haven't mentioned the actual allowance.

As they do vary between cruise line/airline and charter/ schedule flights so I would think that a Kg figure would be important.

With reasonable planning I wouldn't have thought 23Kg would be unmanageable.

That is what we had for a 21 night Oceania cruise. Though of course the dress code was 'country casual'. 

I'd certainly be pushing the limit for a three week Cunard cruise though.

tt10171165fltt.gif

Any allowance of 20kg or over is manageable, it tends to focus the mind.

As soon as weight allowances began to drop I ditched the 7.5kg suitcase and bought a 3.5kg sturdy holdall, they both hold the same volume. My wife wanted to stick with her heavy suitcase for more formal clothes. So, we have a compromise of stuff that can be rolled and packed in the holdall and stuff that benefits from not being rolled in the rigid suitcase. It seems to work quite well.

In general we have more of a problem if we are near the limit with the likes of Easyjet than we do with BA and Virgin.

I bought some digital baggage scales which have proved to be very accurate, so we know if we might have a problem.

RayO

RobBar likes this

For sure we would all like an increased allowance but the rules are Air Companies not Cruise Lines, as long as you arrive at the dock your bags regardless of weight or number (might be up to 20 but I am guessing , World Travellers would know smile.png  )  will be taken on board, course you now have to store in your cabin.

The ships laundry service works well and the DIY available. If you can afford a few bottles of wine. keeping your wife happy by getting to the laundry will make her happy.

For ourselves, we have to travel by Air for 98 % of our cruises , so 50 lbs is the limit per bag and only two bags each else you pay a lot for that 3rd bag and to be truthful , if the porters are not available for taxi to hotel or issues arrive, you have to handle all by yourself regardless if able to pull on four wheels.

In our case , having travelled in Business class at time, the allowance is increased to 70 lbs and three bags each,  free smile.png Poblem is trying to lift that on the scales, time marches on or the trolley.  A handheld digital scale is great to pack. You have to pack smart and as someone said , men's clothes are heavier though a woman will have more / lol

RayO likes this

Also, it's the smallest allowance that's the limiting factor.

Heathrow to Las Vegas with BA, no problem 2 bags 50lbs each.

Los Angeles to Heathrow with BA, no problem 2 bags 50lbs each.

Las Vegas to Los Angeles with USAir(?), max 2 bags per couple, each had to be paid for, 20kgs. (the plane was so small that all non-cruise passengers baggage was left behind and followed on the next flight)

The moral being check all flights as they're allowances are not always the same.

RayO

RobBar likes this

Like RobBar we fly to almost all  our cruises and don't usually have a problem with weight.  We selected the lightest possible suitcases in our price range and pack carefully.  We managed a three week holiday in South America which included a fourteen day cruise when the temperature varied from the nineties in Buenos Aires to just above freezing with a biting wind in Ushuaia with one suitcase each under the 22Kg allowance.  We like to be independent when we travel so we can easily board trains or buses with our own luggage.  Mix and match works well for me, as does layering.

RobBar likes this

Valid points above knowing the different airlines luggage rules , in the Las Vegas to LAX  example those extra 6 lbs per bag now become excess charges

Currently Air Canada will now charge within Canada and to the States for November $25 a bag for the first one  period

In the Caribbean it is free for 1st bag and for International

AC is finally enforcing by experiment in Toronto the carryon bag size and weight so one lady who flew from Vancouver to Toronto had no problem but on the return fight he 'official' carry on size carryon was refused due to 1/2 inch exceeding the steel  bag tester. Had she flown BA she would have been allowed an extra 1/2 "

When we flew back from Australia I bought a new carryon bag  and thought I would check in as luggage but 3rd bag would be $200 so we had to empty it to get it down to carry on weight and then I took it onboard.. Course we had to toss my wife's shampoo and all as we knew security would not accept over the 300ml