Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Your Favourite Cruise Ship - Past Or Present

16 posts in this topic

Hi  We all (hopefully) have happy memories of a particular cruise ship.  In the past I have enjoyed sailing on two ships which are no longer with the companies which owned them at the time of sailing, namely Cunard's Vistafjord (latterly re-named Caronia) and P&O's Victoria.  Of the ship's still currently sailing I have enjoyed the most  are Cyrstal's Serenity, SIlver Cloud and Azamara Journey.  All of these vessels did or do offer excellent food and service without any gimmicks.  Which is your current favourite(s) and which ship's did you previously rate highly.

Harvey likes this

For me it's P&O's Aurora. Maybe it was the cruise and the people we met or maybe just the ship its self. The cruise was a round trip Southampton to the Caribbean so I spent over three weeks on it.

I loved the wide wrap around teak promenade deck. Also the separate recital/lecture/cinema room. Piano recitals held in there are really special. Probably because it is not a large room and therefore there is quite a personal rapport with the pianist. Same with lectures - they are more personal. Then of course there is the Crows Nest lounge bar which has a wonderful uninterrupted forward view. The tiered rear end with it's passenger access is also very pleasant and a good way to see off the last port of call AND, if the direction is correct - a good place to watch a Caribbean sunset. It's also a good size ship.

So - it's Aurora for me.

cheers

Harvey

ron and Falmouthgirl like this

I don't have a favourite Cruise Ship.  The original QE2 will always be iconic in my mind & would loved to have travelled on her, also I still hear people talk about the Canberra she appears to hold some very specail memories.

I don't have a favourite Cruise Ship.  The original QE2 will always be iconic in my mind & would loved to have travelled on her, also I still hear people talk about the Canberra she appears to hold some very specail memories.

I only sailed on QEII once and never really understood why it was so revered. It was an old ship by the time I sailed on it and also nearing the end of its Cunard life and was probably the reason it looked a very tired ship. It had had its day and it was time to move on to whatever else is in store for it.

cheers

Harvey

Hi  I have sailed on both the QE2 and Canberra and honestly neither are worthy of prestige status.  I would estimate that over half the cabins on Canberra had shared toilet and washings facilities, it wouldn't be acceptable today.  The QE2 wasn't that brillant it had no dedicated show lounge just a small stage with seating in front, and no enclosed sides which led directly to corridors on either side for passengers to access both halves of the ship.  However, even on a relatively short cruise QE2 voyage you could cover (by today's standards) enormous distances due to it's high top speed.

Harvey likes this

My favourite is the baby of Celebrity Cruises, Century. Built as a luxury cruise ship for Chandos Line. Unfortunately leaving the Celebrity fleet in 2015 and being transferred to Croisières de France another of the RCCI group brands.

Harvey likes this

My favourite is the baby of Celebrity Cruises, Century. Built as a luxury cruise ship for Chandos Line. Unfortunately leaving the Celebrity fleet in 2015 and being transferred to Croisières de France another of the RCCI group brands.

Century was my first exposure to Celebrity and quality cruising. Loved it. Sorry to hear that it's leaving Celebrity. Lovely ship. Nice size.

cheers

Harvey

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Loved Canberra -not a luxury ship and with two young children we couldn't afford a cabin with bathroom.The advantage was we could all head for a shower at the same time instead of relay in one bathroom.The atmosphere was so friendly, the cabin steward was always there when you needed anything. We made friends among the crew, who we still meet on cruises now 20 years later.Now if there is a rough sea and a wardrobe door swings open and bangs shut  we call it a 'Canberra moment'. 

Best memory for me was on the amerikanis when it belonged to chandris, before chandris went over to celebrity X. I also remember the cunard adventurer a great ship in its day.  Anyone out there remember these two ships at all???

Sorry Showgirl but they are a little before my time. Have 'googled' them and it made interesting reading though. Didn't realise that Chandris purchased the Amerikanis from Union Castle Line or that Cunard Adventurer ended up as Coral.

I echo Harvey the Aurora is my favourite ship for the reasons Harvey stated, a wonderful friendly ship.CG

I was waiting for you CG to select Aurora too. :)  Lovely ship.

cheers

Harvey