Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Your Favourite Christmas Song

34 posts in this topic

Hi  What is your favourite Cchristmas Song?

Mine are: traditional carol - Silent NIght

pop song; joint winners- Merry Christmas (Slade) & The Fairy Tale of New York (The Pogues)

In the bleak midwinter and the Pogs 'fairytale in New York, I do worry about this country and who will be around to continue teaching our children all the traditions [pantomimes for instance also carols , hymns I was brought up with. I still attend midnight mass anyone else attend ? CG

ron likes this

In the bleak midwinter and the Pogs 'fairytale in New York, I do worry about this country and who will be around to continue teaching our children all the traditions [pantomimes for instance also carols , hymns I was brought up with. I still attend midnight mass anyone else attend ? CG

Hi Most of our Christmas traditions are not based on"British" culture, most have been "imported" from other countries in the Victorian era many by Prince Albert  i.e. the Christmas tree etc..  Pantomimes have their origins in Medieval Italy and they are still very popular in Britain (most young people get their first introduction to a theatre event).  The only true Bristish custom is Kissing under the Mistletoe but even that has it's origins in Pagan culture  Things evolve but I don't see many of Christmas traditions fading out in the near future.  I am not a church going and so I have never attended a midnight mass

You are not alone Cornish Girl I go to Midnight Mass and would not miss it. Singing carols and lighting candles for loved ones gone but not forgotten for me it starts Christmas the right way.

ron and RiverSong like this

13 of the 17 posts that actually mention Christmas songs say Fairy Tale of New York/Pogues. Looks like a clear winner to me and the obvious reason that it gets played so much.

A little surprised that 2,000 Miles by The Pretenders didn't feature as this used to be a favourite.

May be a bit late on this one, but my favourite is Little Drummer Boy (I have a bing Crosby version that is amazing), the duet with Bowie is ok

I am surprised by The Fairytale of New York being so favoured, have you seen the words? Maggot? Faggot? You're an old slut on junk? For me it is a horrible and depressing song. I like driving home for christmas by Chris Rea and white christmas for sure, I also like Silent Night.

Isn't this great talking about Christmas in April.   I have always loved Good King Wenceslas.  More modern ones, I too like Merry Christmas Everybody, I wish it could be Christmas Every Day and Christmas Dream by Perry Como.