Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mulcture

Solo Cruising

3 posts in this topic

I am considering going on a Viking river cruise in 2014. I will be going as a solo passenger. Having done many sea cruises with my late wife I thought I would visit some of the places in Europe etc. which are not really accessible by the large ships. Comments and views on destinations, itinerary , and favourite boats would help me to choose a package. 

Good evening Mulcture

I'm afraid I can't help with this but I would be very interested to hear if you do go and your views on river cruising as a solo traveller.  I'm in the same boat, so to speak, as your good self and although I've ocean cruised solo I'm a bit hesitant of doing so on a river cruise.

cheers

Harvey

HI  I have cruised twice on river boats as a solo cruiser and you soon make friends with fellow passengers.  The two regions visited were the Rhine (Basle to Cologne) and the Nile (Luxor to Aswan and return) and both were enjoyable and I saw many interesting sites along the way.  However neither were undertaken on a Viking ship for the reason that the single supplement was 100%  and I refuse to pay this much extra (I asked whether they would consider dropping the cost for the flight for the "second" passenger but they wouldn't and insisted on charging for this.  I used Rivieria travel for the Rhine cruise  (it isn't all inclusive alcoholic drinks served with meals but drinks served from the bar are charged for (reasonable priced) and Thomson for the Nile again the single supplement was a reasonable 50% but no extra flight included in the final price.  The cruise boat was chartered from Presidential and had passengers from other tour companies (Titan etc)   Both were good.   Food was very good on the Rhine but that served on the NIle was edible but certainly not of a high standard.