Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Major

Single Cruisers

23 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my first post on this website. I have been cruising for a few years - always with my wife, and usually other family members. I have recently become single and wish to continue my habit of cruising on a yearly basis. Can anyone advise me about the best / mist cost effective way to cruise as a single person? I asked a travel agent this question and it seems that it would cost me almost as much as I have paid for two persons in the past. Surely this cannot be correct ?? Ant advise will be gratefully received. Thanks....

Hi, this is my first post on this website. I have been cruising for a few years - always with my wife, and usually other family members. I have recently become single and wish to continue my habit of cruising on a yearly basis. Can anyone advise me about the best / mist cost effective way to cruise as a single person? I asked a travel agent this question and it seems that it would cost me almost as much as I have paid for two persons in the past. Surely this cannot be correct ?? Ant advise will be gratefully received. Thanks....

Good afternoon Major

I'm afraid that that is the reality of cruising solo. There was some word that P&O and Cunard would be reviewing their solo supplement which typically runs at 80-100%. I've just looked at a March cruise on P&O and there's a 100% supplement. Other cruise lines may offer a lower solo supplement and it's worth looking around. I believe MSC give solos a good price. I personally won't go with them but that's just my choice. Others speak quite well of them.

The way I look at it is - you either pay up or don't go. Get that psyche fixed and accept it and enjoy your cruise.

cheers

Harvey

Hi  This is a common question and the answer is yes you can avoid large single supplements but you may have to cruise outside the peak seasons.  Many cruise lines offer voyages for singles with zero single supplements (MSC) and recently Fred Olsen have advertised a few cruises with no supplement (most of these are now full) weven Cunard have offered many cruises in November 2013 to January 2014  with no supplement.   From personal experience I have found it more easy to make friends on smaller vessels and I have managed to book cruises with many of the more upper market cruise lines (Azamara, Crystal and Silversea) in October with a single supplement of 25%.   This means these better lines are as cheap as many standard lines charging a 100% supplement especially if you consider they are "all inclusive"

I have to disagree, I recently went on a cruise as a single and was only charged 25% in a deluxe balcony. 

There are the occasional deals out there.  Which cruise line and when was your cruise on TPP?

cheers

Harvey

Harvey it was on P & O on Aurora in December…  :)

December up to the Christmas sailings is always a 'bargain' month but it is most certainly NOT the norm for single supplements. You'll not get a 25% single supplement from P&O and Cunard during March - November (also unlikely during Jan/Feb too). If you want a cheap cruise - go in December and book LATE.

cheers

Harvey

Harvey

I do not think that your reply warranted bold lettering as if you are trying to be superior! and how do you know whether I booked late or not. Please do not make assumptions.

You can get bargains and not necessarily in December…. I got an £8000 cruise for just over £3000 in July a couple of years ago.

Pesky Pirate, I think your reply to Harvey is totally unwarranted, talk about trying to be helpful, if I was Harvey I would not have bothered trying to be helpful :angry: Ron

Harvey

I do not think that your reply warranted bold lettering as if you are trying to be superior! and how do you know whether I booked late or not. Please do not make assumptions.

You can get bargains and not necessarily in December…. I got an £8000 cruise for just over £3000 in July a couple of years ago.

I fear you a bit too sensitive TPP. My bold type was merely to emphasise my view that December can be a bargain month. I don't know where you got the idea from but I never made any assumption about when you booked your cruise. I merely stated that December can be a good month for bargains especially if you book late.

As for your bargain cruise in July - well done you. I trust you enjoyed it even more. Just out of interest - who was it with and where did you go.

cheers

Harvey

Harvey - again the cruise was with P & O on Artemis. 3 weeks around the Greek Islands. Very good itinerary, shame they don't do it anymore.

Three weeks is a really good length of cruise.  I was on Artemis in 2006 to Florence etc. It wasn't my favourite ship - too small and it didn't have a proper theatre. (I think I'm correct in saying it did not have a theatre. I'm one of these boring old *arts in that I usually take photographs of the various internal parts of ship but strangely I don't have any of the Artemis.)

I wonder why they don't do that itinerary anymore. :huh:

cheers

Harvey

I would suggest a one week cruise as a starter. Shorter than that and you don't get the proper ambience of life on board. There are several 7/10 night cruises from Southampton throughout the year. If you want to fly to Europe or the Caribbean then there are even more choices. 

As a solo cruiser I tend to have all my meals in the Main Dining Room (MDR). What they do is fill a table for 6/8 and that way you never have to eat alone. (I have enough meals on my own these days.) You meet a lot of interesting people that way. Also, I would suggest that for your evening meal you go for Club dining as against Freedom style dining. Club is where you are at the same table at the same time with the same people each evening and a good rapport can be made with your fellow diners. (Sometimes results in going to the speciality restaurants which you you may not want to go to on your own.) Freedom is where you are seated at a different table and with different people each evening BUT you have flexibility of dining 'when' you want. Both options are, in my opinion, far superior to dining in the self-service hunt around for a seat whilst your food gets cold Buffet area.

People throughout the ship are friendly. To use an old cliche - everyone is in the same boat so to speak.  :rolleyes:

I cruised for several years with my late wife and solo for past three years. Lovely way to travel. Never had a bad cruise in 15 years. (Oops! Yes I did once - I wouldn't recommend Cruise & Maritime as a cruise line - but that's a personal view. Others seem to find it alright!!!.)

Another tip i would give, and again it's a personal view, go for a balcony cabin as against an inside cabin. The extra cost is well worth it. People say you only sleep in your cabin but that's only true for people in an inside cabin. I had an inside cabin for a weekend many years ago and never again.

Solo travellers do tend to get charged a hefty supplement. There are bargains out there but generally speaking you're looking at typically 70 - 100% supplement.

One word of caution - pick your cruise line carefully.

Give a cruise a go.

cheers

Harvey

I've never cruised, but I'm single (separated) and would like to dip my toe in the water.

Any hints about a first "single" cruise?

David

Hi  As Harvey do your research before booking, match the cruise line's onboard ambience to what you expect from a cruise.  As a general rule UK passengers are better off with a cruise line which as a high number of English speaking guests where English is the onboard language.  MSC and Costa naturally are Italian and RCI sailing out of Spain are Spanish speaking.  On  smaller ships you are more likely to make friends more easily.  Also look out for special deals on reduced single supplement occupancy fares, this keeps costs down.  Most of these offers are for non peak season cruises and are usually appear twelve to six weeks before departure.  I have cruised solo and have always had a good holiday, give it a try I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

My first ever cruise I did as a single and it was a 17 night central med on Artemis…. I liked it so much that the day after I got home I went to the TA and booked a 26 night cruise which included Egypt again on Arty. As I initially wanted to book the 26 night one first the agent I used said that a shorter cruise was better in the first instance in case I didn't like it… I think I have done around 20 now…

As previously said, choose somewhere you want to go so that you enjoy the port days, you can never judge what the ocean will be like no matter where you go but there are lots of things you can do to avoid seasickness etc so don't worry about that. Decide what sort of things you would like on the ship and go from there…. I think homework is required… lol  :)

Whichever you choose I hope you get the bug like the rest of us…. (cruise bug that is!)

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Greg. I did the Aurora World cruise last year and I'm sure you will have a lovely cruise. You will meet up with other people travelling on their own I'm sure, that is the beauty of cruising for a single person.

and RCI sailing out of Spain are Spanish speaking.

We were on Adventure of the Seas out of Malaga a bit over a year ago and it was not "Spanish speaking", although obviously there were lots of Spanish speakers on board.

I have just booked R502 105 days on Aurora next January to South America and the Pacific on my own,lost my wife last year.

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that you'll have a good time.

For anyone considering Britannia's maiden year, I have been told by Bolsover that the single supplements are 60% across the board. When you do your maths against the single cabin prices a majority of the balcony cabins are only a few pounds more for a double than the single ones…. plus you are not located right at the front and top of the ship…

Just thought I would mention it.

Hi there!

I contacted Bolsover about a month ago as I feel that the company very rarely offers attractive offers for "singles" sales on cruises and I felt that they are missing out on quite a lucrative part of the cruising community.

I receive various "single" offers/reductions from various companies (inc P&O) and have been on a few too........ my most recent booking is to have taken the opportunity of a cruise deal for singles on a P&O fly/cruise, flying to San Francisco and sailing from San Fran to Sydney, with various stops in between, starting off at the end of January 2015. Exciting stuff! 

My main advice is to search for single offer cruises, know your cruise lines and what you're looking for and be prepared to "go" for it!! Might see you on one of them :-)

Sue