Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ChrisP

Formal Nights On P&o Azura

52 posts in this topic

This will be our first experience of cruising and I have bought a couple of long evening dresses for the formal nights but have been told by several people that formal nights are not so formal now and long dresses are no longer worn. I need some advice on this as clearly don't want to look ridiculous.

This will be our first experience of cruising and I have bought a couple of long evening dresses for the formal nights but have been told by several people that formal nights are not so formal now and long dresses are no longer worn. I need some advice on this as clearly don't want to look ridiculous.

You will never look ridiculous. It is a year since I sailed with P&O however those ladies in long dresses were in the majority. 

Many choose to wear shorter 'cocktail' outfits but please be assured, you will get it right.

Harvey and whisper like this

I've just returned from Ventura in the Caribbean and most people did make an effort on the formal nights in long dresses. It's not very often I get to proper dress up so made the most of the formal nights. xx

I agree with all these posts, we where on a  4night cruise to Amsterdam & Belgium and 90% of the Ladies where in Evening Dresses, my wife included, it was the Ladies who were not dressed up who looked out of place.

Don't forget to get your Husband dressed up to. ;) Ron

Harvey, cabin boy and J-Dog like this

Agree with all, the Formal evenings on P & O are an excuse to get dressed in your Evening dresses And Dinner suits. The majority adhere to this and it certainly is a great part of the cruise experience. Enjoy the experience. Mike

Sandpiper, Harvey and ron like this

The Captains night is nearly always very formal - and long dresses the norm for most.  The carribean cruises seem to be either formal or casual. Enjoy 'dressing up' and your cruise 

Hello Chris P We sailed a year ago on Azura in the Caribbean and I wore long evening dresses on each formal night. There were many ladies in long. I never felt overdressed... in fact it felt great!  We go away again in 4 weeks on Azura and can't wait. My advice is enjoy it and you definitely won't feel ridiculous.

It's lovely to see everyone dressed on the formal evenings. Too many can become a bit much though. Long or cocktail are both fine. Strange that I seem to feel the bride and groom are missing!

I always wear dressy long dresses for formal evenings and then sometimes a long dress for smart/casual evenings but not so posh.  Small shrug or wrap in case chilly in air conditioning.  Even got some casual long dresses for going to the pool and sun deck.

On azura in 2weeks to Caribbean. Love the 4 formal long dresses for me and the majority,it's the only time to dress up theses days lots also wear very dressy cocktail type dresses on casual nights after 15 cruises on p&o have become 'you know what if you don't want to dress nice that's your problem'attitude dress up and enjoy you'll soon be home and back to the normal hustle of every day life

cabin boy likes this

Its lovely top see all us ladies in long dresses, I started the article formal nights it lovely to see so many of you agree with me.  Enjoy your cruise, we are on Azura on the 7th April and we will be dressed up to the nines.

cabin boy likes this

I agree that formal nights are not so formal as fewer men wearing dinner suits which I think is a shame because they do all look nice in them. I personally always dress up and if you have bought evening wear then you should wear it - you will certainly feel good. I always encourage my husband to wear his dinner suit never mind what everyone else is doing. I just hope the day never comes when the formal, black and white and theme nights are replaced by casual wear. When we first started cruising about 12 years ago I remember that gentlemen not wearing suitable attire would not be admitted to certain areas of the ship which I though was good. 

cabin boy and ron like this

Why are some people so averse to dressing for dinner? i enjoy formal nights, a bit of grandeaur. Would some of these people that moan about dressing etc go out with their families for an aneversary meal, or wedding etc without dressing? At times i feel as though standards are getting a bit sloppy, Im no gent but when im out and about and see people my own age walking about in jeans and trainers, even their wives as well, i feel like saying "Have you no pride". I mean jeans were once the mans working gear, now they think its acceptable to go to resturants in them, what is the world coming to? :lol:

cabin boy likes this

Chris P although you will see some comments about people not adhering to dress codes on formal nights, my experience on P&O is this is not the norm. The vast majority of male and female passengers dress to impress on formal nights. Most ladies still favour long dresses so they are the majority but even those in shorter ones are still very glam. I think on the larger ships like Azura and Ventura you do get a few people around the ship who have perhaps decided to opt out of the main dining room and go to the buffet so are not required to follow the dress code but to be honest if you are going to the main dining room, theater and bars then you really won't notice this or at least I dont. You will most certainly be amongst the vast majority in your long dresses. Have an amazing time, after all there are not many places now days were you get to experience that level of glamour.

cabin boy and Captain Kidd II like this

As someone has already said - those who don't bother look at of place. We have just come back from 17 nights on Aurora - my wife and daughter wore a dress very single night as did many others

Is it ok for women to wear trouser suits? Thinking of going on our first cruise, but not one of the posher ones... but have no idea which cruises would be best - our options are 12/14 night ones round the Med or to Madeira/Canaries, from Southampton.  Neither of us owns a dress nor do we want to.

We have done five Caribbean cruises my wife has always worn long evening dresses on formal nights and looks beautiful. Our last cruise to the Caribbean was January 2015 onboard Azura and we found the majority of passengers wore evening wear on formal nights and looked really lovely long may it continue.