Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kerry304

Has anyone ever used a night nursery onboard?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, ive cruised before but never with a 14-month in tow... I like the idea of being able to go for a late evening meal once my little boy is safely fast asleep but i'm a bit nervous about using a night nursery to say the least! The idea of a family holiday for me is to spend all our time together not send him off to nursery but I also think it unfair to have him asleep in his pushchair in the middle of a restaurant while we eat when he'd normally be sound alseep in his bed? I'm sure the nursery is safe etc and we wouldnt be staying out  all hours, but keep thinking about what if he wakes up and they cant get hold of us if we aren't in the restaurant? What do families with young kids normally do onboard? I've never really taken much notice before.

Sorry for all the questions! Any advice would be muchly appreciated !!

Hi, i havent had experience of this myself but on a recent cruise we were talking to a family that had a 14 month old little girl.  They were using the night nursery facility on P&O and did find it good.  They were settling their little girl down and then taking her up to the nursery just as she was falling asleep.  It seemed to work well for them.  They were given a buzzer by the staff at the nursery and if she woke up and couldnt settle they would give them a buzz so they knew to go up.  Quite a good system.

Thanks sammy sun, I wonder if these 'buzzers' are like the pagers you get from the restaurants when you're waiting for your table maybe? It's good to know they can get hold of us if he does wake up.  

That puts my mind at rest a little.

Thank you! :)

Yeah they are, they seemed like the same sort of thing but also came with a contact number so that even if you were out and about on the ship you could go and use anyone of the ships phones to call the nursery and the specific person thats looking after your child.  Sempt a really good system.

I have used the night nursery and they were excellent i took my daughter wehen she was asleep and they gave me a pager if she woke up they would page me and you can be there in a few minuites - the staff were fantastic   

The night nursery is amazing, my granddaughter has used the facility on two cruise now when she was six months old and again this year at 21 months old. It opens from 6pm and you can either take your child and put them in a cot (mattress for older children) or leave them in their pushchair. They ask you to settle your little ones first and then they give you a pager for if they wake up. They remain open until 2am. 

My sister came on the a cruise with us this year bringing her one year old she was really sceptical about the night nursery but I persuaded her to give it ago and she was amazed. It made her cruise as her and her Hubby could have some couple time which they hadn't had since their little one was born.

It works really well with second sitting dining as you can take children to the children tea at 5pm and get they ready for bed by 7.30/8ish and into the night nursery before 8.30pm.

I am really big on family time but babies and very small children don't tend to enjoy a very lengthy dining experience so they don't really miss out. Then they get all the quality family time in the day.

myself and my younger brother and sister have grown up in P&Os kids clubs and nursery, was completely ideal and safe, we never got dumped in them, we wanted to go in them! much more fun than sat around a pool :D although thats all I do now lol

We were sooooooo impressed with the childrens dept on our first P&O cruise we are soon due on our 3rd.

First thing the kids ask when they wake up in a morning is 'can we go to kids club' regardless of port or day at sea so tends to prove we are not just being selfish parents

I used the nursery on the QM2 last month for my 2 year old, and it was great. They had her 'bed' made up each night (a pile of pillows and blankets), so when I dropped her in, I could get her comfy and make sure she was settled before heading out. They gave me a pager so that they could contact me at any time, but it wasn't needed.

To be honest, I wouldn't have left her in the nursery alone during the day (the staff were great, but I found them to have more of an interest in the older children who could join in games etc, and less of an interest in the younger kids who needed more attention and structure), but for evenings when she was asleep, it was great. Some of the kids even went down in their pajamas.