Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

World Sectors

15 posts in this topic

Hi I am looking to do something different to the caribbean in Jan Feb 2015.  I like the look of a world sector as their are some sorter ones that I could get the time of work for.  My only concern is that I am in my 40s would it be full of older passengers? Would me and my partner feel out of place? Any advice would be really helpful. 

Thank you x :)

I'd love to do a world sector, never done one myself but i know plenty of people that have and loved it.  I'm sure you'd be fine, it seems like the majority of passengers doing a full world cruise are older cause theyve usually retired i guess but for world sectors i bet you get a lot of people like you that want to do something special and different but havent got an unlimited amount of time to take off work.  I think you'd really enjoy it. 

RiverSong likes this

I've noticed that as well, prices do always seem pretty good for world sectors.  I'd love to do one, espeically cause the itineraries always look so good but sadly my other halfs a teachers so we're confined to the dreaded school holidays.  Dont mind kids at all, it's the raised prices that get me.

RiverSong likes this

Ericann - Our friends are booked on Aurora for the 2014 full world cruise and we will join the ship at Hong Kong and travel with them back to Southampton.

We have sailed on Oceana and Azura but none of us have been on the Aurora.  Would be grateful for any tips on excursions any good DIY suggestions to make our money go further.

I am not sure what itinerary your 2013 cruise had.  2014 is Soton - Panama - USA - Hawaii - Pacific - NZ - Aus - HK - Vietnam - S'pore - Malaysia - Columbo - South Africa - UK

Many thanks

Hi BaLA HK and Singapore are very easy to DIY, loved Vietnam but not sure where you are stopping.  Ericann we too were on Aurora for 2013 for the world cruise and loved every minute, have booked Aurora for 2015 world cruise.  Think the winter of 2014 will be a long one!!!  Really envious of the 2014 world cruisers but hope they all have a wonderful time.

Hi I am looking to do something different to the caribbean in Jan Feb 2015.  I like the look of a world sector as their are some sorter ones that I could get the time of work for.  My only concern is that I am in my 40s would it be full of older passengers? Would me and my partner feel out of place? Any advice would be really helpful. 

Thank you x :)

Good morning Riversong.

You don't say exactly which cruise line you are considering but, having stated your age group then that would surely negate both Saga and Fed Olsen.

That leaves, sailing from the Uk, just P&O and Cunard. Of course, you could equally choose a sector that does not entail a UK sailing departure.

I have experience of both these lines on World Cruises and can certainly say that in my experience passenger age has not been a constraining factor for future sectors.

The liveliest of all happened to be Queen Mary 2 when, in 2009, we cruised from Southampton to Sydney.

What sectors of World Cruises often do is open up an array of ports that are not traditionally visited by the general cruise itineraries and usually involve a transit of one, or both, of the two great canals.

If you have the opportunity go for it, an opportunity not to be missed.

Richard.

Ericann - Our friends are booked on Aurora for the 2014 full world cruise and we will join the ship at Hong Kong and travel with them back to Southampton.

We have sailed on Oceana and Azura but none of us have been on the Aurora.  Would be grateful for any tips on excursions any good DIY suggestions to make our money go further.

I am not sure what itinerary your 2013 cruise had.  2014 is Soton - Panama - USA - Hawaii - Pacific - NZ - Aus - HK - Vietnam - S'pore - Malaysia - Columbo - South Africa - UK

Many thanks

Good morning BaLA.

My wife and I were on Aurora for the 2003 World Cruise and had a wonderful time.

The only difference was that we returned through the Suez Canal as opposed to sailing around the Cape.

We've done sectors and you find you fly out with other younger working folk who can't go for longer....age range much the same....few families though....often a few pre schools with parents have a holiday of a lifetime befor baby starts school.

You will find a mix of passengers even children people taking time of from work all sorts of ages although the older passengers are in the majority, I did two world cruises on the Aurora 2008 and 2013 and had a wonderful experience both times.

For those wishing to take a shorter leg I don't think you can do better than the Panama canal cruise it's certainly different from the normal Caribbean .CG

I have done quite a few segments on world cruises. Always on Cunard.

I have also done full world cruises on Cunard and one on P&O, which was this year. I did not like P&O and it was a disappoint compared to Cunard in many ways.

I would not book on Fred Oslen for a world cruise as their style, size of ship etc. attracts older clients.

On a full world cruise you will find that not many people are doing the full world. Maybe 600 or less.

So the remainder of the passengers are often younger people. Thirty some things upwards. Not many children will be seen on a Cunard world cruise, although we did have a couple who did the whole 108 days with 6 year old twin girls.

They had a wonderful time!

P&O Arcadia is child free!

You will find segments often become cheaper after the date of full payment is due on a full world cruise , which is around mid October. Also one the ship sets sail the segments for three months down the line will become cheaper if it is not sold out already.

Dubai to Southampton is often cheaper after the ship sets sail in January, if the ship is returning back home through the Suez Canal.

Segments are a great way to see new places and often very good value. Don't worry about the age group, as world cruiser are all die hard cruisers who love to have a good time any way. Go for it I say and have a great cruise.