Originally built in Preston in 1918 by the Royal Navy, the SS Misr is a propeller steam vessel. Having served in World War II in May 1918, the SS Misr (“Egypt” in Arabic) also participated as a warship and troop transporter for the British Egyptian joint task force. After retiring from active duty, SS Misr went through an entire overhaul; converted into a luxury yacht in 1938 to be used by Egypt’s last Monarch, King Farouk. After Egypt’s monarchy was overthrown in 1952, the SS Misr became state property and was allocated to the Egyptian Ministry of Irrigation where it languished in a shipyard in a Cairo suburb until it was purchased in 2003. With special permission from the state authorities, the steam ship was then entirely rebuilt according to its original drawings and re-launched and returned to the glorified splendour of her heyday in 2006. Now fully restored to a five-star deluxe propeller steam vessel, she accommodates just 44 passengers in spacious, air-conditioned cabins and suites. Misr means ‘the Kingdom of Egypt’ and the décor throughout the vessel reflects the period. The atmosphere onboard is informal and the onboard attentive staff are always available to offer a cool beverage whilst watching the ever changing passing scenery.