B Field | April 11, 2019 | Viking Ocean Cruises | Viking Sky
Viking Sky was an amazing ship, well maintained and spotlessy clean. Lots of public spaces which were always bright, airy and always spare seats. Excellent free spa (with snow room ) plus there were always spare loungers . Infinity pool on the top deck was never crowded (normally empty) neither was the gym nor any other of the facilities. There were numerous places to eat and all the food was excellent and plentiful. We loved our balcony cabin which was very comfortable and heard no noise from the corridor or neighbouring cabins.
The Ship stopped at some very interesting location and the excursions ( the included and the payable one) were well thought out , informative and enjoyable. Good ratio of staff to passengers who were always friendly and helpful (apart from one area).
There were no formal nights – casual dress code thoughout the ship, no casino, no bingo, and free 24hr room service if you required it. I loved the little touches like the bird song piped into the public toilets. It was all excellent
So why wasn’t this the perfect cruise…..
– Comfort – all the public spaces were scandinavian design, very stylish and smart, but the chairs were all low back with no support so uncomfortable after a short while. There was no where confortable on the ship to relax.
– Other passengers. Where were they?
Apart from some mealtimes, on excursions or in the theatre we saw very little of the other 928 passengers – it was like a cruise on the Marie Celeste – even on a sea day or any evening, empty corridors and public areas. There was no social side to the cruise, the only people we talked to were the Viking staff. The other passengers all seemed to stay in their cabins using the free room service. –
– Food waste – food was excellent but so much of it was thrown away.
Due to H&S reasons as passenger health is Vikings main priority, the food could only stay in a servery for a couple of hours, after that it went to feed the fishes ( I hated seeing whole uncut gateauxs etc just thrown away but there was a limited to the amount I could eat). Every day was the same. I couldnt understand why they didn’t display smaller quantities to save waste & money.
– Culture. The cruise seemed to be geared towards the American market (entertainment, excursions, Prices in $ etc) – 860 passengers were from the USA.
***This is a great cruise if you are looking for relaxed luxury, peace & quiet, lots of eating and to get away from people
– provided you are not in a hurry for a drink in the Explorers bar (e.g one evening with only 2 other passengers in the bar we still had to wait over 30mins to be served, normally it was only 20mins)
– and I would recommend going with friends.
Great cruise, great service, great ship, great holiday
A very enjoyable cruise from Liverpool. The check in was quick and efficient. Although the itinerary was changed prior to… Read more
Fantastic cruise and so lovely to be at sea, after such a long break. The ship was half capacity for… Read more
What a lovely ship
We absolutely loved the ship. There were lots to do. Plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. The food… Read more
I cannot compliment P&O and their crew for a better cruise, the Ship - Iona is fantastic, blight, light and… Read more