pgtolan

Cabins With Pull Down Beds

My wife and I have just returned from a Caribbean cruise on P&O's Venturer. We requested an outside cabin with the beds in a double formation. We are both in our 70th year. The cabin allocated was a family cabin with two pull down beds fixed on the wall.  To get into our double bed we both had to squeeze down each side, making sure we didn't bump into the bunk on the wall.  Trying to do this at night without switching on the light and disturbing the other partner, when going to and from the bathroom, was a health and safety issue and it was almost impossible to do so without hitting our heads or body on the bunks.  When it was rough it was even more difficult.  Why do P&O not realise this and give more elderly people a cabin without this hanging obstacles?

Thats odd did your cabin steward not put the beds back up into the ceiling? Normally even when these cabins are occupied by a family of four the beds are pushed back up into the ceiling during the day and pulled down at night only if they are needed. When in their stored position they are flush to the ceiling so you can't see them.

MeeMee,

You are quite right my wife and I where in a family cabin on Ventura  and the extra beds were stored in the ceiling all the cruise. ;)Ron

In our cabin the beds were permanently fixed to the walls and didn't go into the ceiling. So when you got out of bed if you wanted to stand upright you had to turn sideways otherwise it was impossible. My wife knocked her head several times. You couldn't walk back to bed in the dark as you were likely to walk into it.

Just looked at your photo and see what you mean they only fold up to the wall, i can imagine this set up would be ok if you had it in the twin configuration. My hubby has just reminded me we had this set up once but as we had the twin configuration (there was four of us) we didn't really notice.

On Artemis, at the side of the beds, there was a shelf and you had to be very careful not to bang yourself on it in the night. Trying to turn the bedside lights on/off wasn't easy either with the positioning of the switches. I know it isn't bunk beds but sometimes you have to wonder about the designs of some cabins.

Cabin number was 421. I discussed this with one of the team at Bolsover but they said that it would not have been a health and safety issue as P&O would not have allowed this and it must have been approved. For the first time ever as a long-standing customer I was disappointed that Bolsover didn't agree to take this up with P&O as the photo shows it was clearly a problem - and even more so for less agile older people!

Take it up directly with P&O at the customer services. We had an issue on board Oceana a couple of years ago and on our return e mailed them directly. I have to say that my experience with them was excellent. They clearly checked everything that we had reported on board before delivering the final report which worked in our favour.

I've not yet looked at your photo, but have seen a this arrangement in P&O own advertising, which is why (unless we can afford a balcony) we have chosen not to cruise with P&O. Our preferred cruise line is Holland America.  

Aurora have extra beds that go into roof, Arcadia they are usually a sofa bed but all the other P&O and Princess ships we have been on have the pullman berths that stick out from the walls, so we always chose cabin carefully on these ships now. I had several bruises on my face from the pullman , every time I got out of bed in the night I hit my head on it.

we had an outside cabin on azura which is same as ventura as a 3 berth outside and definately the bed was against the wall, probably best to avoid one of these if there are 2 of you, you can see the 3&4 berths on the deckplans

Yes if it was just the 2 of us going i would always make sure i would be booking a cabin just for 2 with no extra beds, but i wish they all just came out of the ceiling it would be so much less hassle !!!

Edited by Sea Cruiser