treesparrow

Vietnam Visa?

Has anyone been on a cruise calling at ports in Vietnam?  I have been told that a visa for entry can be obtained on /by the ship (Silversea) and that this will be ok for going ashore as long as not staying overnight .Getting a visa from the Vietnam embassy in UK costs over £50pp so I don't want to do this if it isn't necessary.

Has anyone been on a cruise calling at ports in Vietnam?  I have been told that a visa for entry can be obtained on /by the ship (Silversea) and that this will be ok for going ashore as long as not staying overnight .Getting a visa from the Vietnam embassy in UK costs over £50pp so I don't want to do this if it isn't necessary.

I believe Silversea will issue you with a visa on arrival in Vietnam and charge the appropriate fee to your onboard account.

It might be worth giving them a call or e-mail to check before you leave though, or perhaps your travel agent.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning TreeSparrow.

It's a while since I visited Vietnam on a cruise ship. When we last did, Aurora, there was no problem and we just proceeded ashore.

I have visited Vietnam more recently for land based holidays - I love the place- and have either purchased a visa from the London embassy or, on one occasion, simply on arrival at hanoi airport.

My advice to you though is to contact your cruise line or, if you have booked through a travel agent, contact them.

It is too important an issue to leave to chance or conjecture on a forum because rules and regulations change so frequently.

Hope that helps

I was on the Aurora 2013 World Cruise. The visa for Vietnam was issued on the ship. I should think it would be on Silversea too, but it is probably best to check.

Guest Doreen Hunnable

Went Vietnam on cruise this year on Adonia, ship sorted visa, put in passport and charged £30. Love Vietnam

Guest Solent Richard

Of course not all cruise lines will arrange visas for Vietnam without a charge.

I'm on an APT Mekong River Cruise later this year and that company wanted £98.50 per person to arrange the visas.

Easier to visit the Vietnamese Embassy in London and make it a day out.

Everyone seems really hot on info on here, does anyone know for Goa if it is a standard indian visa as a friend has told me some places in indian you have to apply for a further section for restricted locations, I'm trying to give myself time to sort this but would be grateful of any advice

I went to Goa  on a world cruise a few years ago and the visa was the same as for India. However, India changes  it's visa rules on a regular basis. So anything could have changed by now.  I was in Vietnam this year on QE world cruise and the visas were obtained by the ship and charged to out on board account.

We went to Vietnam in 2007 on S/star Gemini, (Ho Chi Minh City) visa obtained onboard small charge US$10. 

We went to Vietnam in 2014 on Azamara Journey,  (HCMC, Da-Nang & Halong Bay)  visa obtained onboard, still charged US$10. 

Heard an elderly US couple complaining onboard ship at how much they had paid through a Visa courier service to obtain their Vietnamese visas.

Regretfully there does seem to be some deliberate obfuscation of the facts in some areas, to promote dependancy on some of these visa courier companies.

But the visa rules can and do change so much depending on the Nationality of the citizens applying for visas for all countries.

We UK Citizens should count our blessings, at how few visas we need to travel the world.  

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning TreeSparrow.

I noticed your thread active this morning so thought I'd pop in. 

As you asked the question in January this year it would be interesting to learn if you have now been to Vietnam and, assuming you have, letting the membership know how it panned out.

You were correct that a visa purchased prior to embarkation, in this country, is over £50.00 per person. In fact it is £54.00 per person for a single entry 30 day visa. A multiple entry 30 day visa costs £85.00 per person.

That actually seems a little steep for a cruise ship visit unless of course one was joining/departing in Vietnam and an extension of time was in order.

Looking forward to your response.

I booked a Halong Bay cruise with BestPrice Vietnam for my trip in Vietnam in April 2016. And I didn't need to pay the fee for the visa on arrival. That is great. If Halong Bay is on your list, this could be 'two birds, one stone'! Otherwise, they can also help you to arrange the Vietnam visa online.

From 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016, all British passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for a maximum of 15 days without a visa,

I think this just counts for a single entry though, if you are leaving to go to Cambodia for instance then going back into Vietnam then you need to apply for a multiple entry visa, not all that expensive though

Thanks for the advice HT, do you have any idea how much the visa's are for Vietnam/Cambodia river cruises as I can add this to the costs when I make my mind up what to do?

Do they also like others only allow you to get them close to the holiday?

Also in answer to recent comments on this thread, we were advised in Goa that the Indian Authorities are going to introduce a 5 year tourist visa to allow for the frequent visitors, if thi is the case it may well be useful for world cruise passengers who may possibly have an Indian port of call each year