Sign in to follow this  
angel

Currency

I Thought the rates were quite resonable when I travelled on a Celebrity ship recently. The only problem I came across was that they only had large denominations available at times so I had to buy More than I wanted.

yes you can, i was on P&O recently and we changed currency on board, the rates are actually really good, i expected to lose out as i thought once theyve got you on board theres nothing to stop them doing it at a poor rate but was actually pleasently surprised. 

That's worth knowing because I nevr know how much currency to get and end up getting too much and loosing out when I sell them back so knowing I can get onboard means I can get it when I need it

This summer we went down the med and took plenty of euros, but if you go to Dubrovnik they don't use the euro. We were on P&O and they did not have any Kuna on board, and we were not aware of the change in currency until the day before we arrived.

We always take our Santander 123 card and use it in Spain to get euros, anything left over is used on our next trip. By using a Spanish Cashpoint you are charged at the commercial rate on that day and not the tourist rate.

Guest shilly3191

Everywhere in Dubrovnik will accept the euro if you ask the only place where you cannot use the euro is if you want to walk the old walls. We have been numerous times and never been refused with the euro.

Why not use a Halifax Clarity Card? No ATM charge, No transaction charge, No Commission and top exchange rates. Interest is charged at 12.8% p.a. from the time you use the ATM until you pay it back. I have just returned from Bulgaria where the local exchange rate was 2.12 Lev to the pound. On my card I was getting 2.33 a difference of 9%. On a £1,000 that is £90, need I say more. In the last 12 months I have used mine all over Europe, USA and Africa without any problems. Like shilly3191 I found that the Euro was widely accepted in Dubrovnik when I was there in May.

Guest shilly3191

We always take local currency with us and never purchase on the ship because we have always found that they are not good value compared to local currency exchange.

Euro was being accepted in Dubrovnik in October but as before, but not accepted to walk the walls,

We always changed money on the ship and the exchange rates were based daily it was put to our account and if we had any change ( coins etc ) left on leaving a country it was put in the Life Boat collection box, you never know if you might need them.