Sign in to follow this  
elderlycruiser

Formal Evenings Mini Dress Code

As an after thought...how long before a cruise line has one dining room for country/smart casual on formal night and one for dinner jackets only...in my case once I've dined on formal nights I tend to revert to casual jacket, shirt and trousers for the theatre or bars anyway.

It's what makes me comfortable...and after all I am on holiday.

Interesting comments both for the retention of formal dress codes and those in favour of a more relaxed dress code.

Just last week I received a questionnaire via e- mail from P&O covering exactly this topic . It also included questions around dining option preferences, ship size preferences , cruise line preferences,future cruises etc.

Perhaps other forum members have also received this .

It seems that P & O must be considering some changes to their current format but wish to take into account passengers preferences.

I am not really a fan of formal nights although we do adhere to the code.  I would be quite happy to have smart casual every night and not have to pack formal wear on flights.  It is quite ridiculous to expect anyone to dress formally to eat in a cafeteria or buffet - why wear a gown to serve yourself.  There must be an alternative for the growing number of people who do not choose to dress up.

Hi Rita123,

I would suggest you get your cruise agent to find out for you or contact the cruise line direct. However neither is a fool proof method at sometimes they change from what is pre-arranged. It will be on your daily ships programme which is delivered to your cabin in the evening depicting the following days events including dress code.

OWT

if people want to wear shorts or jeans and t-shirts then go to butlins, in the evening at least trousers and shirt for men and dress or smart trousers for ladies.a little effort is not hard,the way things are going they will be turning up in swimwear.

Slightly elitist Jacktar, to start with what is wrong with Butlins, if you had ever been recently you would have noticed at night that most people like to get dressed up so I dont know why people think that everyone there has on a football shirt or mankini. 2nd point, when on a cruise I will always wear my Dinner suit on formal night as I like to dress up on these occasion but we arent living in the 40s or 50s now and this should be relaxed a little, in my opinion, each to their own

My partner who was a first time cruiser had never worn a dinner suit before, he preferred to be casually dressed but did however make the effort. He said he felt very uncomfortable when we were getting ready in the cabin but when we mingled at the captains party and he saw many other gentlemen in their finery (looking really suave I might add) he suddenly enjoyed wearing it and looked forward to the next formal night... men eh !!!!

I am now on Anthem of the Seas next year and they with their Dynamic Dining innovation have done away with formal nights. With a choice of 18 different restaurants you dress according to the restaurant you attend, all of which can be viewed on line and pre booked if you wish  prior to sailing. Personally I am looking forward to doing a cruise where I have not got to take formal wear. It was the same on Azamara a few weeks ago and it was like a breath of fresh air. I liked the idea of dressing in smart Chino's and a fitted shirt sometimes accompanied by a linen jacket in which I felt comfortable and relaxed. I know this will not sit well with some members, it is just my personal view but times are changing as are the ships coming on line in the next few years.