Sign in to follow this  
Shetlander

Kotor

We visited Kotor on HAL's Ryndam in October 2013. I'm not exactly a great photographer and tend to take photos on my ipod but I've included a few photos to show what this little port is like.

The sail-in is very attractive and worth being out on deck to see to its advantage.

post-136-0-45504200-1393159945_thumb.jpg

The ship docks right next to the town and a short stroll takes you into the old town. I thought that I'd take a photograph of the town map in case we couldn't get a better one, but we did!

post-136-0-21620800-1393160240_thumb.jpg

The old town is very attractive with a nice selection of bars and restaurants in attractive squares.

post-136-0-92452400-1393161946_thumb.jpg

One of the fun things to do in Kotor is to follow the town ramparts. These surround the old town and involves a fairly steep climb

.post-136-0-39080300-1393162302_thumb.jpg

It is, however, we'll worth the effort for the view alone.

post-136-0-86614900-1393162408_thumb.jpg

There was a man selling drinks about half-way up!  The only downside for us was that this was the first time that our boys got a taste for fizzy drinks, and there's no going back now!   On the way up you go to the church of Our Lady of Health and then onwards to the San Giovanni fortress.

When we returned to the town at the bottom after our climb we really enjoyed some ice creams and ice cold beers.

I climbed up that hill aswell, it was a bit dicy in places where the walls were low… I did it on sticks so able bodied people will be fine. Nice place and lots of nice little coffee shops for when you have climbed back down again…. Beware of the birds pooing anywhere…..   :wacko:

We are visiting koto next August we sail from Venice on p and o oceana. So exited our first fly cruise. Reading your review can we walk of the ship to look around? Any other advice you have what other places did you visit?

Hi  Depending upon the number of vessels in port that day it's possible you will be moored next to the pier and walking into the "old town" takes less than 5 minutes.  It's a beautiful place, plenty of bars and resturants (reasonble prices and at least the one I chose very good quality).  However, you may have to tender ashore.  The walk upto the old castle is a little of a struggle (uneven paths) but the view are well worth the effort, the 2-3 euros toll was theI best value "entertainment" I spent on the whole holiday.  I'm sure you will have a great time in the port.  Get up early for the sail in the views are worth losing a couple of hours sleep!

Agree with the above. Fjords in the med is a great description. We spent about 3 hours off the ship but it was enough to stock up on water from the supermarket, grab a lovely frozen yoghurt in the small shopping centre opposite the park and look around the old town.

Guest Solent Richard

We visited Kotor on HAL's Ryndam in October 2013. I'm not exactly a great photographer and tend to take photos on my ipod but I've included a few photos to show what this little port is like.

The sail-in is very attractive and worth being out on deck to see to its advantage.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The ship docks right next to the town and a short stroll takes you into the old town. I thought that I'd take a photograph of the town map in case we couldn't get a better one, but we did!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The old town is very attractive with a nice selection of bars and restaurants in attractive squares.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

One of the fun things to do in Kotor is to follow the town ramparts. These surround the old town and involves a fairly steep climb

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It is, however, we'll worth the effort for the view alone.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There was a man selling drinks about half-way up!  The only downside for us was that this was the first time that our boys got a taste for fizzy drinks, and there's no going back now!   On the way up you go to the church of Our Lady of Health and then onwards to the San Giovanni fortress.

When we returned to the town at the bottom after our climb we really enjoyed some ice creams and ice cold beers.

Thanks for that Shetlander. Kotor is on my Ventura itinerary coming up soon.

I have booked an excursion to Budva which returns in time for me to take in some of Kotor itself.

Looks like I'll have to emulate a mountain goat for that climb.

Thanks again for the contribution, I too will rise early to witness the entrance.

Thanks for that Shetlander. Kotor is on my Ventura itinerary coming up soon.

I have booked an excursion to Budva which returns in time for me to take in some of Kotor itself.

Looks like I'll have to emulate a mountain goat for that climb.

Thanks again for the contribution, I too will rise early to witness the entrance.

You're very welcome!

I'm sure that you'll have a great day there.

Thanks to all who have posted with information and advice on Kotor. My wife and I are looking very much forwards to our stop over on the Ventura in September. Does anyone have any idea what the weather might be like in late September?

Thanks to all who have posted with information and advice on Kotor. My wife and I are looking very much forwards to our stop over on the Ventura in September. Does anyone have any idea what the weather might be like in late September?

We were there last October. The forecast in our Daily Compass was 17C but felt much warmer to me. A really nice day in a really nice place. Have a look here for weather

http://www.weather2travel.com/september/montenegro/kotor.php

Hello,we are in Kotor October 27th on Queen Elizabeth.We are of course hoping for the best weather we can get.

The information given on this site over the past few weeks has really wetted our appetite for visiting this part of the world.

Footballs on now.

Rodger.

I recently visited Kotor on Ventura and it is one of the most beautiful places i have ever been too. The water was so calm and still, it was spectacular. We walked around the old town and it completley took my breath away, not what i was expecting at all but a very nice suprise.