Sign in to follow this  
sammy sun

Cabin Position

Just read this article on Bolsovers site, made me think.  I always try and book mid-ship but if that's not possible then I do like a cabin towards the back of the ship or even on the back of the ship.  Just wondered what other peoples opinions where on this and whether it does actually make a drastic difference when travelling in a cabin at the forward of the ship - something I've never done, maybe through incorrect perceptions.

Here's the link to the article and the image that sparked my interest:

https://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/blog/where-is-the-best-cabin-location-on-board-a-cruise-ship/

post-21-0-10393700-1394212140_thumb.jpg

I've always had the impression that forward cabins feel the up and down movement in rough seas, I've been at the back of a ship A deck on Arcadia we had a big overhang and noise from sunloungers being dragged across the deck morning and night. I also think that the lower the cabin the more you can feel the vibration and noise from machinery etc. Went on Artemis years ago and was rudely woken up by the most dreadful vibrating noise but it was a little old ship. The higher up you are the better I feel. I remember being at dinner on a Carnival ship the restaurant was at the back of the ship and there was a terrible vibration which rattled overything and everyone. So I would go for midships unless you can get a suite or high deck cabin. There will be more seasoned cruisers along with their experiences I'm sure.

Guest Lulucat

Not really a seasoned cruiser - but we've been all over the place and not really been bothered that much by anything.   We've been on Riviera Deck, Lido Deck, Deck B, Deck C - we've been forward, midships and at the back.  Funnily enough the noisiest cabin we have had by far was when we were on B deck on Oriana and the people upstairs must have moved the furniture around in their cabin every single day - they made the most ridiculous amount of noise - and yes we checked, it was a cabin above us - absolutely amazing the noise they made.

As Lulucat pointed out they never had a bad cabin, except for someone moving furniture,we have also had cabins on different decks and different ships. Some cabins we chose others were allocated but we never had a bad one, but they did all have a balcony.have yet to try an inside cabin.

inside cabins are in our opinion very good we have also had outside cabins also very good we have had balcony cabins one on the Arcadia at the stern nice cabin but very noisy when docking due to machinery operating. ;) Ron

Cabins and their location are very much personal choice. We all know that the centre of the ship has least movement but not everyone wants an inside near the centre. I choose the cabin location according to the cruise. My cruise next month is around West Africa so an outside cabin is my choice. The start of June it's Lisburn to Hamburg so it's a starboard balcony so that I can film the beaches of the D Day landings. End of June is MSC Eastern Med so an outside cabin anywhere. July is the Fjords so preferably a stern area balcony to get the best photos. November RCI Spain to Brazil so a stern balcony as they are the largest balconies and as the sun will be behind us it's the best place to relax in the sun with a book and a large G&T. Always choose the cabin according to the cruise. Just my humble opinion.

Guest Lulucat

I agree, that is generally what we have done.   We like to be high up, but apart from that don't really care - look for convenience in getting around and on our C deck at the front on Artemis, the availability of lovely forward deck space - available generally only to those who knew it was there xxxxx

We always avoid cabins under the Gym after a noisy experience under the jogging machines on Oriana.  Other than that, we consider the direction of the cruise and the likelyhood of sun on the balcony (yes, we always prefer a balcony).  Chose rear end on Arcadia for the Norwegian Fjiords to get the best vistas on exits.  Watching the midnight sign over the top of the world at 3.00am was stunning.  Enjoyed an upgrade to the fabulous Library Suite at the pointy end on Aurora to New York, the Eastern Seabord and into Quebec.  Had some wild seas but thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  Just give me my own balcony so I can sit in the fresh air in privacy.

I tend to prefer higher up the ship and midships, when traveling with my disabled son we don't have that much choice so depends on what I am prepared to pay for a particular cruise. Myself and my hubby are trying a cabin overlooking the aft of the ship in August as I have always quite fancied the view from an aft balcony cabin so we will see what this is like. Other members of my family have been at the forward end and did feel the movement much more once they got their sea legs they were fine but they wouldn't go forward again.

I like to be midships and low down, not having fantastic sea legs. However have been high middle without too many problems. Been reasonably ok at the front of ships too,but this can be noisy in rough seas. The only time the whole family has been seasick was in a cabin at the rear of the old Arcadia and the sea was not that rough. Not had many problems with noise except for general groaning in rough weather. I find it difficult to spend more than a few minutes at the rear of any ship the vibration makes me feel ill. My sister likes her cabin as close to the front as possible, she doesn't like a ship where she can't feel the movement. She is also odd in that she has never been seasick whatever the weather, but after cruising all the way to Egypt in rough weather without a problem she the felt sick as soon as she stepped on land and had to miss Cairo and the Pyramids.

I always try to book on a deck with cabins above and below. That way there is no noise from deck chairs getting moved around early morning and no music into the small hours.  I'll book mid-ships if it's available but don't really care where on the deck. 

cheers

Harvey

I made the mistake of booking a getaway once, the cabin I was allocated was above the theatre, so not only did you get all the shows in your cabin every night but also all the practice sessions. I was in the shower once and the floor was vibrating from the noise. I suppose at the end of the day it is the risk you take when you book a late deal. I prefer to choose my cabin which is usually at the rear and not too high up.

Hi  I agree with Seasick Dave I have no preference on my cabin position, as far as I am concerned it's somewhere to sleep, wash and change.  In fact I usually book the cheapest cabin on a "better" ship than a good cabin on a "inferior" cruise line, IMO I get a better cruise experience for my outlay.

Hi  I agree with Seasick Dave I have no preference on my cabin position, as far as I am concerned it's somewhere to sleep, wash and change.  In fact I usually book the cheapest cabin on a "better" ship than a good cabin on a "inferior" cruise line, IMO I get a better cruise experience for my outlay.

I apologise if anyone is offended but I most certainly wouldn't go for the cheapest cabin on 'any' ship. I once had an inside cabin for a weekender - never again. I've heard people with inside cabins say before - "it's only somewhere to sleep, wash and change" and I agree, as that's all I would do in one too. I freely admit to having the odd breakfast or lunch in my cabin - on the balcony - and the odd glass or two while watching the world go by - but I wouldn't even consider 'dinning in' in an inside cabin.  

cheers

Harvey

cheers

Harvey

Hi  I don't disagree with your opinions it's your money and you can spend it as your see fit, but I would still prefer to book an outside cabin on Silversea or Crystal rather than the owner's suite or equivalent on a mainstream cruise line.  Some prefer a large cabin I prefer better dining and service - it's a simple case that I can't afford both so I chose the best compromise for myself.

For once Harvey I have a slightly different view to you. Inside cabins whilst all the same in that they have no balcony or view differ greatly from ship to ship. I have often had an 'inside' cabin and been very happy with it. To some people by choosing an inside cabin they can afford 2 cruises a year instead of one. As I said in a previous post, the type of cabin I have is dependent on the cruise and itinerary.

I've sailed in many different types of cabin from inside to balcony to suites but it's always been either mid-ship or towards the rear.  One of my favourite positions on a ship was right at the back of Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.  There was a bit of vibration but it was August, the weather was fantastic and to sail out of Venice, Istanbul etc with full wide spread views rather than just being on one side of the ship was really nice.  

As for the type of cabin debate, I think it depends on the cruise and personal preference.  I was always happy with inside cabins, I just never saw the point or need for going up in grades, that was until, for a special occasion I decided to go for a balcony and since then I've been hooked.  I genuinely believe if you've never sailed with a balcony you don't miss it but having one is a really nice experience.  I find stepping out onto a balcony when at sea, especially when the sun is setting, to be a really peaceful and relaxing experience, there's nothing quite like it, especially not on a land holiday.  

I've sailed in many different types of cabin from inside to balcony to suites but it's always been either mid-ship or towards the rear.  One of my favourite positions on a ship was right at the back of Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.  There was a bit of vibration but it was August, the weather was fantastic and to sail out of Venice, Istanbul etc with full wide spread views rather than just being on one side of the ship was really nice.  

As for the type of cabin debate, I think it depends on the cruise and personal preference.  I was always happy with inside cabins, I just never saw the point or need for going up in grades, that was until, for a special occasion I decided to go for a balcony and since then I've been hooked.  I genuinely believe if you've never sailed with a balcony you don't miss it but having one is a really nice experience.  I find stepping out onto a balcony when at sea, especially when the sun is setting, to be a really peaceful and relaxing experience, there's nothing quite like it, especially not on a land holiday.  

Hi  As a posted earlier I don't normally have a balcony cabin (only 5 times from over fifty cruises) last October (was upgraded from an outside to a balcony cabin on Crystal's Serenity but I don't think I spent more than twenty miuntes on the balcony throughtout the nine day voyage.  Entering Venice I was on the wrong side of the ship to see St Mark's Square (the best views) and leaving Istanbul it was dark.  As this was a port intensive voyage I was more often ashore during the day and soon after sailng in the evening darkness fell.  However, I can see that a aft  facing cabin could be advantageous 180 degree views and more than likely sheltered from the wind.

never had it but those aft facing cabins seem good, will have to try one

we have always been deck e or f mid ship outside, mum is a nervous traveler and wont go anywhere else, tho when its rough she stays up in the restaurant right at the top??

since ive now stopped traveling in mum and dads cabin and have our own we went inside right at the front, right at the top, apart from when it was very rough on the atlantic we didnt feel it any more than when down on e deck :)

Guest shilly3191

We had an inside cabin on Caronia (Cunard) right at the very front of the ship behind the Captains quarters and had a very rough time across BoB and did a lot of damage to the cabin. Ripped TV & video off the wall and smashed all over the floor and all glasses and cups were smashed to bits. Never again its midships for me ever since.

Having been fortunate to have cruised with a number of cruise lines to various parts of the world I prefer to have a balcony at the front or the back, still can,t get use to fore & aft. I find the views from these positions the best, as for noise, vibration & other of-putting suggestions, how valid are these ?. Look where some of the most expensive cabins are positioned, fore & aft. e.g the Penthouse Suites on P&O, Aurora (fore) the Owners Suite & it does,t get better than this,on Silver Seas, Silver Spirit (Fore), the Grand Duplex Suites on all three Cunard ships (aft) Just my point you may not all agree, if you haven,t been there, worth a try. !!

Definitely agree birdman, I'm always up for trying new cabins and new positions on a ship, I don't think you can ever rule anything out until you've tried it.  I guess many people just worry that when spending money, they want to be certain that they'll enjoy it and as such stick to  the same thing.  I love a balcony at the back of the ship,  I think it provides some of the best views you can get so would always recommend it and like you say, there are so many suites located at the front and back of ships these days that it can hardly be a bad position to be when so many cruise lines continue to do this.

As ive said elsewhere i always prfer port saide aft, that my own choice. some say the mid-ships position is more stabe, some say which is fact you will fell more movement especially if rolling when you are higher up, then there is choice of ship, some say bigger ships heavier therefore sit better in the water, (not always the case) thes new big vessels that look nothing like ships, more like a load of containers plonked on a deck, are also more prone to catch more wind owing to their height, the length odf a ship can be consisered a shorter ship may ride over waves better, may sit in a swell better, where as a bigger longer ship could catch two wave one forard one aft making it uncomfortable, if you thought about all them scenarios you probably would end up with a head ache, just go where you famcy or where you can get on and enjoy yourself.