Sign in to follow this  
mylo2908

Tips onboard

I am looking at booking a celebrity cruise as all my friends rave about the service and how good the ships are, they let you pre pay the tips when you book the holiday which I think is brilliant as we don't have to take them out of our spending money, I was just wondering if anyone has done this and if the staff still expected tips onboard

I've done it, it is a good idea, i think people often get the feeling that staff wont be as good but they have no idea whether youve pre-paid or not so their service is exactly the same.  At the end of the day its a good thing because you save money by pre-paying.  When you pre-pay its in sterling but if you pay on board its dollars then you pay for the conversion so it works out better to pay when you book.

Ive never pre paid the tips. I think a tip is a thank you for a service received, not for one you hope to get!

Don't get me wrong, if I get great service, I give great tips, but I wont be told how much I have to pay out before I have even set foot onboard!!

Staff will know if you have pre-paid, you can always top up with cash if you have had great service although they say all cash tips have to be handed in for even distribution. Also, if you are on select dining you pre-pay before you go as you will have different wait staff each evening.

Have been with Celebrity twice and both times we have paid our gratuities up front and on both occasions had excellent service, I must admit we also gave our cabin stewards a few dollars as well at the end of the cruise but that's up to the individual, we have requested the same waitress if we really get on with them and have had no problems this being carried out on the entrance to the restaurant, you may have to wait a few mins though.

Just got off the Eclipse, we prepaid tips, got great service. 

We gave our cabin steward and his assistant extra at the end of the cruise.

The extra was not expected or requested in any way. 

If you have select dining ( anytime) then you will be required to repay your

tips. 

Just returned from. Cruise on Solstice - yes the cabin staff do know whether you have paid or had them removed. If you are Select dining then the cabin staff know because they leave your dining information on the bed the first day. Waiters in the Select dining room know that their tips are already paid. If you pay on a daily basis added to your on board account then if you go to Guest Services to have them removed your cabin attendant is told. My attendant was told mid cruise that already six of her cabin passengers had removed their tips. Of course, they probably would give them in cash at the end of the cruise BUT her supervisor wanted to know if she was having problems with her guests. This is presumably the same with waiters in the main dining room.

We prepaid ours and were pleased that the staff gave us fantastic service in all areas. I wondered if they would expect extra tips at the end but the only concern for them was that we complete our service questionnaire. This was really important to them as they are judged on what you give and any promotion depends on what you say.

we have cruised Celebrity 20 times and we always prepay our gratuities, this way there is no messing and you can then opt for Select dining,

I take extra dollars for the "over and above service" so we can add extra tips.

jomf  what do you mean by repaying tips when you have anytime dining ?? 

we booked our first cruise for oct and have pre paid our tips and have selected anytime dining  does this mean we should then tip as well for the anytime dining  ??  hope not  unless service awesome 

4 minutes ago, janiemac said:

we booked our first cruise for oct and have pre paid our tips and have selected anytime dining  does this mean we should then tip as well for the anytime dining  ??  hope not  unless service awesome 

Doubt you will get a response from a message from jomf over 4 years ago. But for your information on Celebrity I believe if you book anytime dining then you have to prepay your tips before the cruise and then no more is required or expected on the cruise unless you wish too.

I do believe that all the RCI group have now stopped demanding you pre-pay gratuities if you select their freedom style dining, they will still offer this though but you can decline and have the gratuities added onto your on board account.

4 hours ago, janiemac said:

Don't worry about it as it was probably predictive text & should have said prepay your tips. Have a wonderful cruise & welcome to the forum.