Harvey

Oriana In The Arctic Circle

Just back from a failed sighting of the Northern Lights :( . However, here's some unusual snaps of Oriana.

Leaving Southampton. (Nobody in the pool.)

item.JPG?rot=1

Brrrrrr ! Still nobody in the pool. :rolleyes:

item.JPG?rot=1

Plenty chairs and sunloungers free.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

You don't see many snowmen on the Oriana. He probably went to the Crows Nest lounge at bedtime. It was certainly cold enough in there. :wacko:

item.JPG?rot=1

cheers

Harvey

Guest Solent Richard

Nice one Harvey and good to see you back.

We watched Oriana pass-by last night and I said to Solent Barbara that Harvey must be back.

You and I certainly experienced some extremes of temperature over the last few weeks - we were up to 38C in Darwin.

I trust it was a good one.

Nice one Harvey and good to see you back.

We watched Oriana pass-by last night and I said to Solent Barbara that Harvey must be back.

You and I certainly experienced some extremes of temperature over the last few weeks - we were up to 38C in Darwin.

I trust it was a good one.

Nice too to see your good self back from down under. We were at the extreme ends of the planet  :) .

The temperature plummeted to -26' one night in Alta. :ph34r:

cheers

Harvey

Harvey I hope you took your thermals? don't see your sled in any photo's ;) Ron

Sure did have my thermals on Ron. As I said above - it reached -26' in Alta. 

In fact - I was wearing my thermals AND sunglasses at the same time. :ph34r:  B)

Nice cruise. Certainly different to any I have done before.

cheers

Harvey

Guest shilly3191

We recently returned from X406 and really enjoyed the cruise experience but unfortunately not Oriana will not be sailing on her again. Lucky enough to see Northern Lights and seemed to be very lucky getting away from Ocean Terminal first group off ship at 0845 waited about 15 mins to get off car park and was in West Quay shopping centre for about 10am and back home in Staffordshire for 1-30pm

Guest shilly3191

What was wrong with Oriana Shilly? we have always found her to be a good ship, if not in need of a bit of a brush-up. ;) Ron

Leaking water around the ship we had black bits in our water in our cabin the whole cruise so worried about washing and cleaning teeth then we had problems when cold water was hot and then towards end of cruise water turned a mucky yellow also the toilet never flushed properly all cruise. We have been on all of P&Os current fleet except for Adonia and thought the ship looked shabby rusty and ready to be pensioned off.

Guest shilly3191

By the way we spoke to a lot of people on the cruise who said that they had black bits in the water so it seems to be a ship problem. Waiting for a response from P&O after reporting problem onboard and now in the hands of Southampton head office. You dont expect to go on a cruise ship and not have properly working sanitation and not clean water.

We were on X406 and had no problems whatsoever with the water or the sanitation.

As for the judder we had the occasional shudder but not enough to give us any discomfort or loose sleep.

David

Guest shilly3191

Did it still have the judder at the rear did you notice?

The judder is still the same as it has always been no better no worse.

Thanks for the pictures Harvey. Now I know I will definitely not be sunbathing!! next March. Did you do the northern lights excursion if so how long were you out there waiting? Any tips for what clothing other than that recommended by P&O?

Thanks, Sandy

Sandy

Just bear in mind it is very very cold

The ships photographer cracked 2 camera lenses and a camera.

Friends of ours - his hand stuck to the tripod when he took his glove off.

It was so cold I never took my camera out my ruksack.

Another person cracked their waterproof trousers. Found it very difficult to get on the bus.

The buses are always there if you've have had enough

Ladies leave your rings on the ship as they may get lost in your gloves.

Take a cheap watch for the night.

Remember the camera sees more than the eye

Layers is the answer

David

Guest shilly3191

We did the "In search of the Northern Lights" on the first night in Alta 19th March and had a great night we left Oriana at 9pm and got to the plateau at 10pm I set my tripod up with my camera attached in advance and other than my remote control wouldnt work because of the cold had no problems with my camera or the cold. We dressed in layers with Berghaus waterproof trousers and coats and wore a snood and gloves/hat. When we got back on the coach to return to Oriana at midnight the guide told us the temp was 21C and we returned back at ship at 1am. Was a fantastic experience to see the Northern Lights and took what I think were very good photographs and memory of a fantastic night that will live with me forever.

The other thing which I forgot to mention is that we were advised that a video camera would be no good because it sees at the same rate as the eye.

We were also on the first night but on the 10-30 pm trip returning at about 2-15 to the ship. The temperature had dropped to minus 26 by then. We didn't see much of the lights but wow what an experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Guest shilly3191

Couldnt believe our luck when we arrived were told to get off the coach and walk towards Sami tent and look North and from the minute we got off had fantastic view of Northern Lights they started to fade about 1130 so we headed to the tent for a quick and very welcome hot chocolate before heading back to Oriana for another hot chocolate and late snack.

We cruised with Oriana 1st - 13th March 2014.  As the Captain quoted "A challenging cruise".

Left Southampton 1 hour late due to propeller shaft problems.  BUT! we travelled up to Stavanger at 27.8 knots and made up the time - incredible.  He stated that he, or the ship, had never travelled at that speed.

On to Alta for 2 nights.  We decided to stay onboard to see any sightings of the Northern Lights.  We were not disappointed, they came, not for long, and were a.m.a.z.i.n.g. 

Problems leaving Alta.  The engines were not cooling properly due to pulling in silt with the cooling water from the fjord so we had to maintain position on the thrusters for two hours+.  Also the weather forecast out of the fjord was 15 metre swell and gale force winds.  So, instead of 4 hours journey out of the fjord we took 8 hours to try and avoid the bad weather.  Nevertheless, it was still bad when we got out to sea. we had 7 metre swell and we arrived late evening into Tromso to rain.  All excursions were transferred to the next day with departure extended.  Another horrible rainy day.

Set off for Bergen.  Weather still bad.  Unfortunately we did not make it to Bergen and headed back to Southampton.

Norovirus taking passengers down daily.  Extra cleaning staff brought in and constantly cleaning handrails etc.

But, all-in-all an alright cruise.  We liked the Oriana.  Food was fine, cabins fine, entertainment quite good.

Value for money!