Molly10

Smoking

I have recently returned from a trip on Arcadia. As some of you may know it has had a refit which meant that more cabins were put in the area near the crows nest which had a nice sunbathing area together with a seated smoking and no smoking area. Obviously this has now gone.

With the introduction of  the smoking ban on balconies all the smokers were either at the rear of the belvedere or on the smoking side of the prom deck, however, when the weather was nice on the prom deck side the non smokers were then complaining about the smokers ever though it was the smokers area. The area outside the belvedere again was full to bursting, no where to sit and again there was little space for the smokers even though it was their area.

I am not saying that all the smokers would have had balconies but I do think that there may be an area for a little give and take as the smokers were also complaining about the lack of areas that they could go without being ridiculed. 

Perhaps the cruise lines should give thought to having a few smoking balconies or restricted smoking times on balconies. I was in an obstructed view cabin, which was next to a balcony cabin, and I saw someone smoking on it on the first day and I also encountered others that said that they lit up on the balcony in the middle of the night.

Not all smokers are idiots and am sure that they realise the potential of fire etc if they do not extinguish their cigarette properly and I also think that they would give some consideration to their neighbours on adjacent balconies. Perhaps they should be given that chance.

If you are a non-smoker who has ventured into a dedicated smoking area, then you have no right to complain about the smoke.  If you smoke on your balcony when it is not allowed, then you should be reported, named and blacklisted and not allowed to travel with that cruiseline again. 

The Pesky Pirate commented

"With the introduction of  the smoking ban on balconies all the smokers were either at the rear of the belvedere or on the smoking side of the prom deck, however, when the weather was nice on the prom deck side the non smokers were then complaining about the smokers ever though it was the smokers area. The area outside the belvedere again was full to bursting, no where to sit and again there was little space for the smokers even though it was their area."

So some non-smokers are just as selfish and inconsiderate as some smokers. 

Oh! Crikey. Here we go again. I really think that this topic has covered all  aspects and should be put to bed.

Maybe you should all agree to differ because there is never likely to be a solution that will suit everyone. The same goes for individual behaviours. There are those who think that they are superior to others but in reality, they just lack basic good manners.

Each to his own as far as I am concerned and let him/her who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Sheila, I'm afraid you have missed the point.  I feel I can cast the stone because I would not flout the rules.  This is not about non-smokers getting at smokers nor is it about one thinking they are superior.  Nor is it about a solution that will suit everyone.  It's about people doing as they are told, and not thinking they can do what they like.  I am talking about a very serious fire risk and I think I have every right to criticise someone smoking on their balcony when it is not allowed.   Like truculent children, some people just cannot do as they are told.  If you were on a ship and someone smoking on their balcony caused a fire which jeopardised you or your family, would you still have the same opinion?   Someone who is anti-social and cavalier enough to smoke on their balcony when they know it is not allowed deserve everything that can be thrown at them.

I am a smoker as I have stated a few times on this thread but I agree wholeheartedly with you Fudge.I only smoke where allowed if people do not like it TOUGH move away ;) Ron

Hello,please please can we not put this bed,surely the thread has been done to death.

Rodger.

Jaguar, with respect, you do not have to read this thread nor 'tell' people what to talk about.   I would not like to see a forum which is full of 'flim-flam' where no-one commented on anything of substance.  And whilst people still wish to air their view on the subject, then the topic will continue.  Personally I would like to hope that most people have deep concerns about the fact that some people continue to smoke on balconies when it is no longer allowed.  

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.

Not at all, why shouldn't you tell us that people were smoking on their balcony?   If smoking is not allowed on balconies, then people should not smoke on balconies.  I would hope that everyone deplores the actions of those who are doing something they have been told is not allowed.  Like speeding drivers who think they are 'safe' some smokers will think that it is OK to smoke on their balcony because they consider themselves sensible.  The bottom line is if you are not allowed to smoke on a balcony then you should not smoke on your balcony.

I feel sorry for any minority group that suffers persecution, and let's not try to disguise it because that's what it is.

If the rules say either they can or can't smoke on balconies then that's the rules.

If you have someone smoking on a balcony where the cruise line forbid it then stand up and say so to the purser.

If the cruise line allow it then I'm afraid it's your tough luck but you can ask the purser if you can be moved for health reasons.

If you feel that strongly against it then don't travel on lines that allow it.

You now have a greater choice than those who want to smoke on their balconies.

Or of course another alternative is get an oceanview...and spend the saving on having an even better time.

Surely the simple answer to all this is to ban smoking on cruise ships. As can be seen it is a very small minority that smoke and they make little difference to the coffers of the cruise lines. I predict that smoking will be banned on ships by 2016.

If they're such a "small minority" then surely they can't be that much of a problem that they are vilified by so many.

They have their areas they're allowed to smoke...just keep away from them.

If the anti brigade are that stupid that they frequent these areas then they get everything they deserve.

Terminator,

You took the words out of my mouth, I am certain people hunt the smoker out so they can stand near to them and then complain. Do we ban everthing that the majority don't like? sounds like a Totalitarian state is coming!!! ;) Ron

If they're such a "small minority" then surely they can't be that much of a problem that they are vilified by so many.

They have their areas they're allowed to smoke...just keep away from them.

If the anti brigade are that stupid that they frequent these areas then they get everything they deserve.

Quite often in society it is the small minorities that are the problem for the majority. Most problems caused to the majority of society are caused by a minority. You mention "If the anti brigade are that stupid that they frequent these areas then they get everything they deserve" Are we going a little off the subject as I thought the latter part of this thread was about people smoking on balconies where they were not allowed to?

Surely the simple answer to all this is to ban smoking on cruise ships. As can be seen it is a very small minority that smoke and they make little difference to the coffers of the cruise lines. I predict that smoking will be banned on ships by 2016.

Forgive me if I've unwittingly digressed

Its just that when you wrote the above I thought you were talking about a total ban on smoking...not just on balconies as that's how it reads to me.

15-30 and new balls please..