Molly10

Smoking

I do not think that I have missed the point Fudge. I just feel that the topic has gone on for long enough.

Neither do I feel that all smokers are careless when discarding their cigarettes. The only fires I am aware of on ships were caused  by electrical problems and not discarded cigarettes.

Personally, I have never been bothered by people smoking on their balconies. Smoke has never drifted onto my balcony or into my cabin so, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Seems like bullying to me.

Therefore, I stand by my opinion that smoking should be allowed on balconies.

Just out of interest, didn't a lawyer quote earlier that cruise companies cannot enforce this new smoking policy? Evidently, if they have not registered their ships in the UK they cannot apply our laws unless in territorial waters.

Well there are a lot of things that we are advised not to eat, drink or anything else come to that. So it depends on peoples views…

That is true, but obese people, those with high blood pressure, diabetes, alcoholics, etc. do not put the health of others at risk, unlike passive smoking. 

Fair enough Sheila.  I do not have a problem with people smoking in their designated areas.  And if you feel that the topic has gone on long enough then why not cease contributing to it?

Hello I dare not pass any more comments.

Rodger.

I hope that your post was made tongue in cheek for I see no reason for you to adopt this attitude. You made your original criticism which was open to response.  Surely you didn't think that no-one would respond to it?  I responded and see nothing untoward here at all, only if you choose to make it untoward. 

Ooh! Fair point Fudge but I thought that was the idea for a Forum. My mistake.

I just tend to disagree with discriminatory practices, so thought I would put in my 2 penn'orth.

Sheila, you confuse me.  I know what a forum is about but in my view being a member of a forum does not imean some members telling others to put a topic to bed because they are fed up with it.  Yes, it is their opinion but that opinion adds nothing to a debate, and in other words they are telling others to shut up.  Discriminatory practices ?  Again I am confused, do you mean discrimination against smokers?  I have already said that I do not have a problem with smokers smoking in designated areas.  I have also stated that any non-smoker venturing into smoking areas do not have a right to complain.  I also deplored those smokers who smoked on their balcony when it is not allowed.  People should not discriminate against smokers where they have a right to smoke where it is allowed, but you will always get people who discriminate against all sorts of people but non-smokers are rightly afraid of passive smoking and its well documented dangers to health. 

Hello I dare not pass any more comments.

Rodger.

I can understand your concerns Rodger, I commented on another smoking thread a couple of months ago and wished I hadn't, it didn't seem to matter that I was a non smoker who felt smokers were being given a hard time and said so.

Everyone should have there opinion but should also expect others to differ from there opinion so long as it is not abusive or demeaning. ;) Ron

Spot on Ron. We all have differing views on many subjects and should be able to aire them on the forum without being ridiculed, abused or put down. As I have said many times in other quarters one of the problems is that in the main many of the posters do not know one another and therefore are not aware of their characters. I consider myself lucky in that I know quite a lot of the posters and therefore know the vein in which they write and mean things but not everyone has that advantage which is why we should all read what we have written and reflect on it before we hit the 'Post' button.

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • bullet_black.png
  • Able Seaman
  • post_offline.png Last active: Yesterday, 07:16 PM

The Pesky Pirate, on 18 May 2014 - 7:51 PM, said:snapback.png

Well there are a lot of things that we are advised not to eat, drink or anything else come to that. So it depends on peoples views…

That is true, but obese people, those with high blood pressure, diabetes, alcoholics, etc. do not put the health of others at risk, unlike passive smoking. 

WHAT? So you think that these fat sugar and alcohol addicted people don't cause other people to have health issues?

So what about when they are taking up unnecessary time and spending 10's of thousands of pounds a week by keeping doctors and staff busy with their problems when genuinely sick people need attention?

I agree that they should have a small section of cabins where they allow smoking on balconies for those that wish too and that would keep everyone happy!

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • bullet_black.png
  • Able Seaman
  • post_offline.png Last active: Yesterday, 07:16 PM

WHAT? So you think that these fat sugar and alcohol addicted people don't cause other people to have health issues?

So what about when they are taking up unnecessary time and spending 10's of thousands of pounds a week by keeping doctors and staff busy with their problems when genuinely sick people need attention?

Self-inflicted health issues will impact on people whose health issues are not of their own making but it is clear that anyone has the right to be treated whether you agree with it or not. Some people will say that those with self-inflicted illness do not deserve to take a hospital bed over those who are ill through no fault of their own but that is the way things work in this country.  Smoking kills.  Passive smoking kills.  Obese, sugar addicted, alcoholic, drug dependent people do not make other people ill. 

Calm down TPP I think there must be a glich somewhere in the forum page! as it is all muddled up with Major Lee Hung.

I for one know that you would not say those things, speak later ;) Ron

How very odd.  I would not want anyone to be stewing over an obvious mistake in the pipes, so to clarify:  it was I who said "obese people, those with high blood pressure, diabetes, alcoholics, etc. do not put the health of others at risk, unlike passive smoking" which was in response to a post by The Pesky Pirate.  The following is what should have been quoted and I have no idea why it was not faithfully reproduced.

And my response:  "That is true, but obese people, those with high blood pressure, diabetes, alcoholics, etc. do not put the health of others at risk, unlike passive smoking."

And this quote from Major Lee Hung:  "WHAT? So you think that these fat sugar and alcohol addicted people don't cause other people to have health issues?

So what about when they are taking up unnecessary time and spending 10's of thousands of pounds a week by keeping doctors and staff busy with their problems when genuinely sick people need attention?"

Guest shilly3191

I agree that they should have a small section of cabins where they allow smoking on balconies for those that wish too and that would keep everyone happy!

So what happens if the cabins dont sell and a "smokers" cabin is available would you if you are a non smoker, not knowing if you smoke or not, be happy as a non smoker go in a "smokers" cabin because I know I wouldnt be happy. Doesnt matter how well you clean it there will still be the lingering smell of stale tobacco throughout the cabin.

Shilly, I think that the reference is to balcony cabins and not actually being able to smoke inside the cabin. I am aware that some people are of the view that the smoke still goes inside the cabin, however, if a person was to adhere to the rules and keep the balcony door shut then this shouldn't really happen although I appreciate that some people think that it does.

On the other hand, if a person was booking late whether they be a smoker or non smoker then they would both be offered what was left. In reality it is no different to how it was last year before the balcony ban came in.

So true Ron. As targets go - smokers are certainly easy. Unhealthy, costly, anti-social. One could possibly add intellectually challenged too to continue with such an obvious negative indulgence.  B)

cheers

Harvey

My goodness - it really is easy to make fun of smokers. ;)

Unless youre a 'social smoker' lol :P