Land Ahoy

Onboard Photographers - What's Your Opinions?

Mind you on our Northern Lights Cruise last March the ships photographers did so much trade that the printing machine actually broke down through overuse. Over heating I think.

The queue's at the photographers desk had to be seen to be believed

David

P&O photos are very much a thing for first cruises - and why not!

Personally I now find them overpriced and, when the photographer appears in the dining room, quite annoying.

I now (politely) refuse to get up from my meal table to pose for a group photo that I do not want!

M

We have never bought a photo on a cruise.  We avoid the gangway pictures but usually agree to the dinner table ones although we have no intention of buying them because we realize that the photographers have to meet their quota.  We did receive a free picture when we had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess, but I have no idea where it is now.

Guest Solent Richard

Personally I now find them overpriced and, when the photographer appears in the dining room, quite annoying.

I now (politely) refuse to get up from my meal table to pose for a group photo that I do not want!

M

I certainly agree with you about 'first' cruisers.

However, in my experience I see many others purchasing them. Indeed, I have a photograph somewhere of the queues at the Photo Gallery the morning after a formal night.

The point I like to make is that they are there if you want them and obviously enough cruisers do buy them to make their presence worthwhile.

It's one of those facts that forum members often forget. And of course, not all cruisers are out to save a bob or two.

Guest Solent Richard

Mind you on our Northern Lights Cruise last March the ships photographers did so much trade that the printing machine actually broke down through overuse. Over heating I think.

The queue's at the photographers desk had to be seen to be believed

David

Kinda says what I have just said June. 

Eyes wide open. ;)  ;)

I have to confess that we do buy the photographs and I don't really see that changing in the future!

A couple of years ago I also got some of my older son (then 8) with assorted amusing characters in the different ports. A bit strange, but he really enjoyed himself, they're great to look at now and will be in the future - and to my mind worth every penny.

We always seem to buy at least 1 or 2 photos per cruise. It's a shame they have so many to shred at the end. If they cut the prices down they would probably sell more and just might have more volume. Of course it depends on the individual photographer of how good the photos are. Since we both wear glasses we always have problems with glare.

We now do poses and sometime make faces when they take our photo as we disembark at the ports. Those photos sometime turnout better!

post-5246-0-47188100-1408651426_thumb.jpg

We bought more when we first began cruising. Also had at least one photograph with our dining companions.

These days we have one taken as we embark and that's about it, as we generally dine at different times and book a table for two.

Be aware in Egypt as on one cruise we allowed the ships photographer to take a photo of us together whilst visiting the Pyramids.

At our next stop on the tour we were stopped by a man in the street who showed us our photo. I wasn't impressed and asked where he had got it from as it was obviously taken as we were posing for the ships photographer. I didn't get an answer and politely told him to push off.

Back on the ship the following day we couldn't find our photograph on the boards so checked it out at the desk.

It seems rogue photographers somehow find out which colour T shirt the staff will be wearing on that day - and pose as them!!

I think that having a photo during meal times is wrong and intrusive. The professional photography that is usually set up on formal nights and you go to them if you want your picture taken is fine and at your own discretion. The ones at disembarking are ok and easy to bypass so no real problem for most people, who don't require it. I find the price of photos is excessive and there must be massive amounts of waste at a cost - if they were more focussed on what people really want and brought the prices down, reducing waste, it would be better for all. As others have said most people have their own digital camera that takes very good quality photos for shots of table companions etc, but they still may want the odd formal one of the vacation.

They're doing a job which presumably makes money for the cruise line, which contributes to cruise prices being such good value. Cruising for me is a very sociable experience, so table photos are the only ones we buy these days, they're a lovely reminder of a gang of people with whom you've laughed your socks off the for umpteen evenings.

Some of the contributors sound like proper grumpy miserable sods, a polite "no" does the trick.

That said I agree that it's newish cruisers who buy most, and that's fine. Formal night photos in all your finery are a lovely and lasting momento. Prices are rediculous but someone

Like lots of people we brought quite a few on our first few cruises and we still buy the occasional ones to mark particular events i.e. my granddaughters first cruise and when we had five generations on a cruise. The photographs represent quite good value when you compare them to having a professional photographer ashore so its a great way to mark landmark events experienced on a cruise. And the photographs we had took on board for my sons wedding and our renewal of vows were really fantastic the photographers did an exceptional job.

However in saying all that I absolutely hate the photos being taken at the table at evening meal. Even though you can turn these down they are a real nuisance when you are disturbed mid flow and some can be very insistent. I remember on one occasion when myself and my family were on one cruise we had a table for 8 for us all and we saw the photographers coming round I checked with the family if they would like a photo (some were on their first cruise) and no one wanted one at the dinner table. When the photographer approached us I politely said no we wouldn't like a photo gesturing to the whole table, he then proceeded to approach another member of my family in quite an insistent way so I still politely reinforced that none of us would like a photo to which he replied "I am not talking to you". My son then said please don't talk to my mother like that. At this point the kind waiters intervened and basically moved them along, but we all felt really uncomfortable after that when they came around. I wish there was a way to have it noted that you don't want photos at the dinner table at the start of the cruise.

We were in Turkey recently and did both a Turkish bath session and a full day boat trip and there was a photographer snapping away all the time. On both occasions the photographer showed us the photos on his laptop so we could choose the one(s) we wanted at 10 turkish lira each.

For 30 Turkish lira we got a cd with all of the photos taken of us - less than £10. Many of the photos we don't like but most of them we would never have got ourselves.

On P&O Ventura recently I think they wanted £14.99 for each photo. Why don't they sell a full cd of all your photos for £50 - I'm sure there would be lots of takers.

Guest Solent Richard

M

What do your table companions think about that?

I know this group would have taken a dim view...

15027284591_a2ac5dbcf8_z.jpg

;)  ;)

Even if one doesn't want a photograph, given that you are dining on a table for say 8, it would be considerate to have the photo taken in case your fellow dining companions wish to buy a copy so that they have a reminder of their fellow guests on that cruise, even if you don't. 

It would be okay if the table is laid but not when there are either dirty dishes or if you are halfway through the meal. The photo of SR's overleaf is ok because the table doesnt look too bad but sometimes it can make the photo look messy. The photographers timing could be better.

Guest Solent Richard

What nikon do you have my friend. Sorry for long delay in replying, been having Router problems, all sorted now, thumped it with a hammer and brought a new one. :P

A Nikon D5100.

Good afternoon Journeyman.

In this ever changing world and with special bank Holiday weekend offers I am now the owner of a new Nikon - just couldn't resist it and collected from John Lewis today...

14846627570_54543e58aa_z.jpg

I think I know someone who would appreciate that Sigma Wide Angle lens.   ;)  ;)

Guest Solent Richard

It would be okay if the table is laid but not when there are either dirty dishes or if you are halfway through the meal. The photo of SR's overleaf is ok because the table doesnt look too bad but sometimes it can make the photo look messy. The photographers timing could be better.

Thanks pesky Pirate and pleased to see you posting again.

I always try to 'set' the table when the ships's photographers appear in the restaurant.

We often fall out because I'm going to pay for it eventually, if its good, so I want my preferences. 

And that usually includes having the wine and glasses included.  :D  :D

Generally the only time we refuse to have a photograph taken is on embarkation. After all who wants a picture of themselves all disheveled and struggling with hand luggage after a long journey to join the ship?

At other times we tend to allow the photographers to do their job as they have targets to meet, particularly on the quay side in ports where they have to take specific number of shots before they can get back onboard. This is not to say that we always buy them! 

One of the photographers told us that they plan to stop printing them for display and that passengers will have to find them on the PhotoMe screens and order from there.

On a recent cruise our next-cabin-neighbours received the prize in the Peninsular Club Draw and had their picture taken with the Captain. When they went to collect it from the gallery they were expected to pay nearly £12 for the privilege. Did they buy it?

Guest Solent Richard

Generally the only time we refuse to have a photograph taken is on embarkation. After all who wants a picture of themselves all disheveled and struggling with hand luggage after a long journey to join the ship?

At other times we tend to allow the photographers to do their job as they have targets to meet, particularly on the quay side in ports where they have to take specific number of shots before they can get back onboard. This is not to say that we always buy them! 

One of the photographers told us that they plan to stop printing them for display and that passengers will have to find them on the PhotoMe screens and order from there.

On a recent cruise our next-cabin-neighbours received the prize in the Peninsular Club Draw and had their picture taken with the Captain. When they went to collect it from the gallery they were expected to pay nearly £12 for the privilege. Did they buy it?

I certainly agree with you Naamah on the issue of having photographs taken in a disheveled state and with hand luggage on embarkation.

I now know of a cruise line that would suit us both where consideration was given to both our concerns.

I'll be reporting on it shortly. Watch this space.

Guest Solent Richard

As a more general observation I was very impressed with the system of selling photographs on my recent cruise with Hapag-Lloyd.

On board were a small team of photographers who popped up not just on board but on many of the shore excursions.

Back on board the Photo Gallery was absolutely state of the art stuff..

15425731082_0eded1e4b7_z.jpg 

with just four screens set on a very broad passage way.

Each screen had a left hand menu detailing both the dates and the events. By selecting what ever attracted you a series of photographs appeared from which a mere touch would bring the subject to the forefront of the screen.

Ordering was simple and one had the choice of media - choice of size hard copy photo, Digital on CD or Digital on USB.

I chose my selected photographs to be digitally added to one of  their USBs...

15425800342_d1c125b7f4_z.jpg

An example...

15369825706_dfe1ca7084_z.jpg

A great system and here is the nice part. Despite that being a 5 Star Plus rated ship, those photographs worked out at just €10 each.