Land Ahoy

Onboard Photographers - What's Your Opinions?

5 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Yesterday I was on the Saga Sapphire and had an opportunity to raise the question of intrusive photographers. I was told that the only time they enter the dining room is on the first formal night. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

I agree, it does sound like a step in the right direction, but it's another point you raised OWT that I thought was particularly a good idea. I have no issue with the photographers entering the dining room as long as it does not impact me directly. If notices were provided to tables, giving guests the choice then I believe that would be a good feature. Of course, it's a difficult one, as if you're joining a table in freedom dining for example and half your table wants it and half doesn't, it's tough luck really for you as it's inevitably going to impact your dinner, so there would be some issues to iron out but I like the overall idea.

My reason for saying that I have no problem with photographers entering the dining room is purely in the interest of other passengers. Far from me to dictate to others who actually like it and wish to purchase photos. We all have our opinions and anyone who wants their photo taking in the dining room has the right to request so, but it's not for me so as long as I'm not having to interrupt a meal I'm likely to be enjoying so as to tell an intrusive photographer that I do not wish them to thrust a camera in my face mid-way through a bite, I'll be happy :)  

5 minutes ago, sammy sun said:

I agree, it does sound like a step in the right direction, but it's another point you raised OWT that I thought was particularly a good idea. I have no issue with the photographers entering the dining room as long as it does not impact me directly. If notices were provided to tables, giving guests the choice then I believe that would be a good feature. Of course, it's a difficult one, as if you're joining a table in freedom dining for example and half your table wants it and half doesn't, it's tough luck really for you as it's inevitably going to impact your dinner, so there would be some issues to iron out but I like the overall idea.

My reason for saying that I have no problem with photographers entering the dining room is purely in the interest of other passengers. Far from me to dictate to others who actually like it and wish to purchase photos. We all have our opinions and anyone who wants their photo taking in the dining room has the right to request so, but it's not for me so as long as I'm not having to interrupt a meal I'm likely to be enjoying so as to tell an intrusive photographer that I do not wish them to thrust a camera in my face mid-way through a bite, I'll be happy :)  

I wonder perhaps if they could have a few designated tables which are 'photo free'.

I wouldn't of thought it would be difficult to manage, and at least those who'd rather not be disturbed can enjoy their dining without interruption.

HLM.

I have never been unfazed by the ship's photographers carrying out their trade; except once. About 8 years ago aboard a P & O cruise we encountered a scourge of photographers, who might have been driven by an overly aggressive manager. In the end I was frightened to go to the loo in case the door flew open and a photographer shouted "smile". I would have preferred pirates on board because at least we could have called in Special Forces to clear them off.

Roll on to Gibraltar and my wife and I settled down to enjoy coffee on a pavement café, with a fellow passenger and his wife. To our horror the ships' photographers en mass turned up in mufti, however their sole motive was to commandeer the tables behind ours and order cappuccinos. It was too good an opportunity to miss. Both my shipmate and I cocked our Canons and pounced. "Big Smile", "Put your arm round him luv", "Say cheez ". Actually they took it quite well, however except for this one bad experience the photographers I have encountered have always been well behaved and polite.